Tinder(izer)

Patriot

So once you hit level 3 of fire starting you no longer require tender, and there is no benefit to using tender either. Well this leads to an over abundance of tender in the world. I don't know if this has any effect on performance or loading times, but I'm leaving loads of tender behind me as a travel. So I'd like to suggest using it as fuel like you would a stick. Just to simply get rid of it.

A fundamental chance in the function of tinder in mid-game, which is what treating the no-longer-needed tinder like it was a stick at and after level 3 fire starting, would be a complication that the devs probably would not want to deal with.  Assuming that implementation would be at no cost to Hinterland, it certainly would be a not-so-realistic thing but certainly doable. 

Despite being at level 5 fire starting, I have been making an effort to use tinder even though I don't have to.  I feel a bit odd when I don't, but I don't hesitate about starting a fire even if I don't have any tinder.  For me, I have thought/suggested that may be the tinder can be converted (by another action) into some kind of wick which could then go into an improvised lamp, maybe from a recyled can with lamp oil (stationary with a much lower burn rate - intent is more of a long-lived fire source). But then I understand that lighting effects are hard to do well in the game though it would be nice. 

Way back when the skill was implemented, Raphael thought that the +5% from birch bark actually counted though it never did.  It may have once, but that probably fell out of the coding even farther back. 

Advances in fire starting should be less about percentage chances of sucess and more about skills

I'd like to either see it speed up the fire making time - something between natural and using a firestarter

or be able to be combined with a tin can to carry an ember for a period of time to save on matches