Transportation: Dog Sled

Patriot

Who should pull the Dog Sled?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So we all know moving from place to place can be gruelingly slow. Especially so if you just butchered a bear or have a large haul of fish. 
Well we also know our Jack of All Trades survivalist can think of clever solutions, build weapons, load ammo, mend clothes to their pristine factory condition and cook gourmet meals.
Well there's one more thing I'd like our Jack to tackle. Building a sled one he could pull himself to help carry those large loads, but there's just one more thing Jack could try. Taming animals and have them pull that sled with him as a rider! Come on pups we can be friends and work together!  I recommend the amount of tamed normal wolves to be 6, timber wolves to be 4, and rabbits (you know the movie) to be 18. 

The carnivores would need to be fed so I recommend an interactive addon as recommended in a prior thread of mine (see below) where you pick certain locations that people use as homes such as the farmhouse, jackrabbit island, gas station, mystery lake lakehouse, etc.... and have custom things you can improve in each location. In this case this would be a relatively large addon the basics would be a house they can return to and sleeping area as well as a trough to place generous amount of food. I recommend the wolves can hunt which might ruin our own meat gathering efforts if you planned to hunt near home with the timber wolves having the larger hunting radius. On the upside you may find left over carcasses on the downside because they already had their fill the meat will be little and quite a bit ruined. If rabbits are a thing I'd recommend them to be just a little slower than the character sprints. These aren't LOTR magic rabbits.  On the upside you wouldn't need to feed them as they'd eat whatever it is they are eating in this winter wonderland. Their shelter would be need more furs than wood so they can stay super cozy and want to return home. They'd double as a food source so I can't really see this happening in any difficulty other than interloper where they can be a bit scarce over time.

Now I'd expect the taming process for the wolves to be dangerous with a low chance of success, I HIGHLY recommend there be an associated skill with it. Something to reward you "putting yourself out there" so to speak. You know to potentially get your jugular ripped out and all. First off you'd need to dropped some food when they're after you and stay "near" as they eat. After doing this three times you would have to let the wolf approach you where it begins to growl and you can try to "pet" it...a failure results in the wolf attacking you.

With rabbits I recommend a cage trap and 7-18 days to tame...however one is supposed to do that as I don't know what we're going to be feeding them. Ketchup chips maybe?

Well those are the ideas let me know what you think!

San Juan Sled Dogs

I too will abstain from voting, as I wouldn't want to label the idea as dumb...  It has, however, been an idea that's been brought up many times before.  I recommend using the search function, because there has been a lot of really good discussion in previous threads.

:coffee::fire:
I'll just echo what I've mentioned in previous threads:

On 4/7/2020 at 3:05 AM, ManicManiac said:

I'm not in favor of the idea... mostly because I think that having to make careful decisions about what's worth lugging around (vs what we can do without... vs what we can leave behind because it's better to just come back for it when it's needed) makes working within those limits a richer experience in terms of having to work out our strategies for both short and long term survival.

If I'm being completely honest with you, I think that the way you describe it would do more to take away from that experience.

(That's just my opinion, I'm not condemning your idea... I just think it would take away much more than it would add)

On 1/31/2020 at 2:42 AM, ManicManiac said:

The sled (or pole-drag as you called it) has been addressed as a particular challenge to implement.

I rather like that we have to carefully consider how much we lug around with us and the risks of "loading up heavy" when moving things from place to place.  I feel like those limitations cause a player to have make important decisions on what's really necessary or worth the risk.  I think it also prompts us to consider our options more carefully before caching large amounts of supplies in any given location (our base camps, if you will).

On 10/22/2019 at 3:07 AM, ManicManiac said:

it has been discussed at great lengths.  I don't think it was shutdown per se, but the general consensus seems to be that it would be a very tricky mechanic in some places... loads of assets, animations, coding integration...

It's a neat idea, but ultimately it seems like maybe the "juice isn't worth the squeeze" (to turn a phrase).

On 5/6/2019 at 7:03 PM, ManicManiac said:

Well it still raises a couple of potential implementation problems... the physics of a sled (crafted or improvised doesn't really mater), models and mechanics for dragging it/interacting with it, how to handle terrain (like steep slopes for example), and how to handle various other unique situations - like what does the player do when they are dragging a sled but they need to cross a narrow fallen tree trunk (natural bridge)?  What happens to the sled during and after an attack from wolf, bear, or moose?

I mean having a sled to tow is a good idea that's been on the wish lists for a long time... I think there are just a lot of things that would have to go into the implementation that make it a much bigger task to add than it may seem.

On 9/12/2019 at 2:06 AM, ManicManiac said:

This topic in particular has been discussed at great length by many people... in short it seems that the general consensus is it would be neat but would have drastic effects on game play and potentially pose a lot of complex problems in terms of implantation and balancing.

...as to the wolf/dog question:

On 5/24/2020 at 5:23 AM, ManicManiac said:

Even purely from a lore perspective, I just don't think it would be feasible to have an carnivorous animal companion.

On 5/20/2019 at 11:16 PM, ManicManiac said:

I used to think it would be cool to be able to have an animal companion.  Then I considered not just how difficult it might be to implement that kind of thing, and about the lore itself.  Animal companions really wouldn't seem very feasible due to the Aurora's effects on wildlife... especially the carnivores.

On 8/31/2019 at 5:37 AM, ManicManiac said:

reasonably consistent with the lore of the game, even if we did find a dog... it would probably immediately try to eat our faces off due to the effects the aurora (in that carnivores animals are preternaturally aggressive and blood thirsty)

On 9/11/2019 at 2:01 AM, ManicManiac said:

I just don't think it would fit with the lore of the game very well.  I've had this subject on my wish lists before (a while back).  The conversation sort of came to the realization that dogs are carnivores, so they would most likely just turn hyper-aggressive like the other carnivores in the game.  Making this particular type of animal companion somewhere in between "extremely dangerous" and "just not possible under the circumstances."

On 10/16/2019 at 12:42 AM, ManicManiac said:

from the lore we already know the "reason why" the animals in the game behave the way they do (i.e. the "geomagnetic event" that gives rise to the auroras in the game).  This is the reason given for their uncharacteristically aggressive behavior and elevated territorial ferocity.

Edited by ManicManiac

I tend to feel this "may" be a dumb idea. In my opinion it depends largely on how the game evolves. In its current state I agree with that feeling that it might make things far easier than intended. However, If one can balance out the challenge along with this mechanic I think it holds plenty of merit.

There are two aspects to dog sleds to consider. 

One is the sled itself, a much requested thing, the intent of which would be to increase (circumvent) the limitations of what the character can carry.  The design of a sled would be comparatively trivial compared to working out how the sled would interact with the character and with the game environment.  Providing game balance would likely be disagreeable to some players because it might make the sled a very marginal item to use for some or most. 

The other is the presence of some kind of NPC/MOB that would be friendly to the character.  The capability (and actions) of the MOB would have to be determined and the responsibilities of the character to maintain and care for the MOB(s).  These interactions would likely be burdensome and, as opposed to just leaving the sled behind, not something that can be casually discarded, at least, not without consequences.  One other thing to consider about the dogs is that they probably won't be trained sled dogs - the devs can decide that - and the character is not trained in their use, care and feeding, so there is that.

Since anything that ends up in survival tends to also need to be a part of story mode, the best way to get dog sleds is if a quest, maybe a major quest, needs them.  Otherwise, it is likely that dog sleds would have to wait until story mode concludes and the devs can turn to other matters more fully.