Feedback on the current sprain system

Danielviomusic

You can disable them in custom games, though many people don't like custom games because they cannot get the badges or whatever they're called. I don't understand ralph's fanatical desire to dictate the terms of other people's enjoyment but that's where we are. I am just fortunate that I don't care about badges.

On 11/3/2020 at 5:06 PM, Vince 49 said:

option to turn off all alerts and warnings

This would be nice.  I was thinking the same with the weak ice warning too.  The sound (undeniably terrifying) is enough to alert one of the danger.

Been playing Voyager lately, and am actually enjoying how the sprains work much more.  If you take a long, straight path across a steep slope at the proper angle, you can get all the way down uninjured.  Not every time, but it works.  Also, I'm getting better at double checking my bandage supply.

On 10/31/2020 at 10:42 AM, Mr. 0 said:

Painkillers should be required for sleeping with pain. For now, painkillers are mostly abundant. Like water pur tablets.

That's actually such a smart, fantastic idea. It totally makes sense imo, and it would be easy to implement. Painkillers would have a clear purpose and carrying them would make sense again. Like we all consume painkillers to sleep well irl when our muscles/joints hurt. And if no sleeping while afflicted with pain seems too extreme, it could also be increment the rest time because of poor rest. Heck, even a new dissease called 'poorly rested' could me implemented. There's much potential in the concept.

• Upvote 2

Reading the first post, I do agree. The sprain system needs a change. I don't think that the way you sprain yourself is tooo bad, maybe a separate skillset for Stability. Treatment needs to change, because it's so unrealistic that you instantly 'heal' when you bandage up the sprain, and painkillers serve no other purpose than to make your screen edges focus again. Even when you bandage up and down some painkillers, you should still have the limp and a certain amount of time to rest.

So I agree with everything the first post said, except the sprain time since it gets you off guard and keeps you on edge, and I understand that is tedious to some, but some like it that way. Maybe add a option to the Custom menu to add variables to diseases and sprains, to change it a bit.

My setting would look like this:

Sprain chance = 0.01% (of default)

Sprain duration = 1000%

Sprain can be cured with a bandaid = no

sprain is extra crippling(somehow) = yes

I want it to be rare but meaningful. At least I would try it that way. The way it currently is is you either accept that you will have four sprains all the time forever, or that you cannot go anywhere with more than a 1 degree slope. Or you just turn them off, which is my choice.

I think I know why I dislike sprains. They're not a threat or a challenge to deal with which turns them into something that just annoys me. The game asks if I want to walk around slower with a wiggly camera all the time. I tell it no.

I guess that's it for me. As long as sprains don't threaten my survival I probably won't like them.

Any additions which add depth and thought to the mechanics are almost always great, like making it so you can't get sprains while standing still or sneaking and walking downwards or having certain paths which encourage choice like paths which give sprains only when you run, etc etc. Personally i think the current system is fine, I have not gotten any sprains for a very long time, but the current system can definitely be improved

Edited by Abyssal

On 8/19/2020 at 5:09 AM, GothSkunk said:

The problem is not with the game design; the problem exists between your keyboard and your chair.

That’s so condescending.

Also, I completely agree that the sprain mechanic needs a rework. 

I'd like a new skill like "climbing" where sprain likelihood goes down with climbing experience, or something like that. As it is now it's simply a random annoyance. But I finally got annoyed enough that I did a hack so that painkillers & bandages have no weight, so now I just carry around a ton of those items & simply "insta-heal" all sprains. Doesn't affect earning badges, much less annoying. :)

Here are my thoughts on sprains. The way you get them is OK, but

• Sprained wrist: really of no consequence most of the time. I don't even generally bother treating this since you can still use one-handed ranged weapons (i.e. the revolver) just fine.
  • Sprained ankle: Can be annoying because it prevents sprinting. I generally do treat this if I'm not in a safe area.
  • Pain: Has literally no effect on gameplay for the most part. I almost never bother treating this, unless I want to do research. Maybe it should affect your ability to aim a weapon (increased sway)? Then it might be worth using painkillers.
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 1:59 PM, Danielviomusic said:
  • Merge pain and sprain again. I can understand there was a point on separating them, but the result has been pretty much painkillers becoming obsolete. There's no reason to keep it this way, simply revert the change. Make the heal process back to 1 bandage and 2 painkillers again.

Can we talk about how nonsensical is wasting 2 painkillers when accidentally used on the wrong affliction? Currently, if you get sprained and take painkillers on the sprain instead of the pain, they just go to waste without alleviating the pain. It just doesn't make any sense.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, drstevens said:

Can we talk about how nonsensical is wasting 2 painkillers when accidentally used on the wrong affliction? Currently, if you get sprained and take painkillers on the sprain instead of the pain, they just go to waste without alleviating the pain. It just doesn't make any sense.

Indeed. I remember the first time using pain killers. I was just munching them all down wondering why they weren't working. Everyone knows how pain meds work so the game doing it the way it does does nothing but cause confusion for new players and leaves others scratching their heads wondering why it's so strange in TLD.

• Upvote 1

I am mostly okay with the way the sprain system works; I like the steep slope graphic, since IRL I'd have a better sense of how challenging the terrain is than I can easily get through my monitor.  However, if I were actually plopped down in the wilderness with limited gear and difficult terrain to navigate, what would I do?

I'd cut myself a walking stick. 

It'd work okay mechanically, I think, because you'd be sacrificing weight for reduced sprain chance.  If you want to raise the in-game price, you could require it to be made of a maple or birch sapling.  Heck, half of GBI has ski gloves in their cabinets; maybe a ski pole or two could turn up.  But for sure I'd have something to keep me upright. 

• Upvote 1

I definitely want to try out the new gear, but ultimately I don't know whether or not I would keep them.

I rather like the sprain system as it is.  If the crampons Nerf it too much... I'll likely just scrap them.
I'm not too sure I'm keen on another boost to carrying capacity either...

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I won't really know how I feel about it until I can get my hands on them and see how they impact gameplay.

Edited by ManicManiac