What Scares You in The Long Dark Survival Mode?

PurpleWolf13

I fear the effects of Regional (and Local) Lost and Found.   😁

Regionally, it can mass destroy food supplies and move gear to a distant location and it does it to everyone.  No exceptions.   😓

Locally, it can destroy food supplies, but can have spotty coverage so not as bad.  

I am glad this cataclysm is a rare one but when it happens it can be all-encompassing.  😅

• Like 1

Moose is 100%the spookiest animal. After getting mauled by a bear in Desolation Point, I took a emergency stim to outrun it into a car. Slept in the car, tried to walk home to the lighthouse and got caught in a storm with a moose on the road going towards the lighthouse. I had a few broken ribs to deal with, but I eventually found the bear again and got a pelt from it. Never seen the moose again but I’m thankful it didn’t finish the job 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kitsune_Wizard said:

Oh, that's the easy. The haunted Carter Hydro dam. That place is cursed, I'm telling you. Metal straining doesn't make the same 'bump, bump, bumpbumpbump' sound repeatedly. Something is *in* that dam, I'm telling you. And whatever it is, it isn't good.

Maybe it's the DarkWalker or the ghost of Fluffy . .or both O.O

• Like 1

Just the overall atmosphere that has been created.  I love The Long Dark for the "good" anxiety it gives me.  Wondering if you will make it to the next shelter or the next meal, can be demanding on the heart.  This game has an amazing ability to get me right on the edge of my seat, like no other game I've ever played.  The world is so immersive and eerie without doing much at all.  Just the need to survive, is a driving focus that can be found at all times.  It's easy to forget about the game itself even, as I can so wrapped up in the character, I'm thinking as him.  It's a neat experience that no other game has really provided at such constant levels.  I never find myself bored with just trying to beat death. It's that parallel I can draw to my own life, which makes it all the much better.  In the end, we're all just trying to cheat death one more day...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 2/24/2023 at 1:37 AM, Pınar51-06 said:

Rope bridges in Ash Canyon.

Ravin Falls Trestle. (I died twice in my early times)

When you climb on a rope, the time you understand you couldn’t get the top. And that painful sound.

I agree with the rope bridges in Ash Canyon - they never fail to scare me as I inch over them a few steps at a time.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

It was a Voyageur game so the hunger was not too bad, and I had a pack with several MREs. I did make it out, and got attacked by a wolf as I approached Quonset, then while I was bandaging that up another wolf got me and I faded into the long dark. Very annoyed to have survived all that to be offed while I was doing first aid a few metres from home.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I'm scared of electrocution. There's a few places with electrical wires and I can't tell if they're live. The aurora mine in Coastal has cables on the water, but the water always looks electrified to me, I honestly can't tell when it is. The reason I got stuck down there was fannying about too long because I was so scared of the water.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...