Firestarter

Patriot

So I've been playing The Long Dark on and off for a few years now. Just got back into the swing of things after a little over a 2 years now and am stunned by the number of Quality of Life improvements. TLD has come so far. In many ways it's easier, but in every way it is engaging and beautiful and a great survival game. Now I doubt I'll be the first one to mention this and perhaps I've overlooked something, but it appears that the only ways of lighting a fire at present are the firestriker, magnifying lens, and matches. As far as i'm aware none of those are renewable resources and the idea of the game is to survive indefinitely if possible, Roleplaying-wise if that is you living as long as possible makes sense, of course the game does get dull I know if you get too comfortable in the early days I didn't need to leave the cabin for days at a time, back when there was only Mystery Lake. Regardless of that there should be means of crafting things to light a fire with. The first thing that comes to my mind is a basic hand drill.  Perhaps unlocked at higher levels of firestarting.

Edited by Patriot
Clarification.
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I've been a long-time proponent of the Hand Drill.

On 7/24/2019 at 3:25 AM, ManicManiac said:

One thing that I (and others) have suggested in our wish list threads in the past has been friction fire.  Many people get caught up on the "bow-drill," probably because it's more familiar... but I think the "hand-drill" would be better since it's simple (and the crafting recipe could conceivably be just a stick and a piece of cedar - because these are already in the game).   ***for the sake of balance... I have also recommended that this ability would be unlocked once the player's fire starting skill rose to a more advanced level... like Level 5***

handdrilllrg.jpg.77adc4f754bbd1e2c8d56be658e0ca03.jpg

:coffee::fire::coffee:
However, I do also think we have more than enough ways to make fire in this game already... so while this isn't really a necessity it is one of those few idea's I've been very much in favor of.  I do think it could be a really nice touch... but I will still like the game just fine without it..

Edited by ManicManiac
Corrections

• 1 month later...

I love to sandbox off-the-grid survival in the regions with very few human structures. Its a shame that atm there are no renewable sources of fire, every now and then I have to venture in to a town to loot for fire strikers, matches etc. If it were me I would ditch the magnifying glass and replace with a craftable bow-drill with a low success rate.