Intestinal parasites

PrincessAutumn

This is going to be a very dumb question but I have to know :D  So in the game you can get intestinal parasites from eating wolf or bear meat.. Being the curious person I am, I found out that you can actually eat bear meat and meat from some carnivores in real life. My question is that if you can eat that meat, fully cooked of course, could you still get intestinal parasites from it? 🤔

• Upvote 1

In real life? Not unless you have the cooking skills of a two year old. You would have to leave parts of the meat raw and below the max temperature the parasites could handle. Then you would have to not be able to tell that the meat is raw.

Personally if intestinal parasites are to stay in the game I would like to see raw meat be safer to eat so that you are at least tempted to eat it raw. If it has to be in cooked meat at least have it at cooking skill 1 only. You would have to be incredibly incompetent to not tell that the meat you've "cooked" barely got warm.

edit----------

There are no dumb questions BTW. Nobody can know everything. I may know that time slows down in gravity or with speed, and what antimatter is, but there are plenty of things I don't know that others would assume is common knowledge.

Edited by odizzido
  • Like 1

Food borne illness from parasitic infection can be a very real thing when consuming undercooked wild game.  Proper butchering technique and thorough cooking can help to minimize potential exposure to bacteria and parasites.  As a real life hunter,  I've come across quite a few animals that were riddled with cancerous growths and lesions.  Not to mention that many of the deer were covered with blood sucking ticks and fleas.   Not to appetizing if you wanna know.  

Carnivores, ie. wolves, big cats, bears and even wild pigs often carry trichinosis a parasitic disease cause by roundworms.  People can become infected with Trichinosis from eating raw or undercooked meat that contains the roundworm larvae.  After the meat with the parasite larvae is eaten, the larvae grow into worms in the intestines, which reproduce and make larvae that go into the bloodstream and travel to the skeletal muscle and embed.  Stomach symptoms tend to appear within a couple of days after eating infected meat.  symptoms usually include diarrhea (loose stool/poop), nausea (feeling of sickness in the stomach), fatigue, and stomach pain. Other symptoms may appear  weeks after infection and may include fever, headaches, chills, muscle soreness, pain and swelling around the eyes. The length and severity of symptoms varies depending upon the number of parasites in the meat and the amount eaten. Although rare, complications can develop and affect the heart, brain, and lungs; these complications may be fatal.

Fortunately, in TLD once you get level 5 cooking skill your risk for parasitic infection is eliminated!  yay!  In the mean time, eat the bear meat, get the warning, switch to venison, let the counter reset and start back the cycle again.  No sense in letting all that good yum yum go to waste!  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Wow, what questions you have! In general, this is possible if you don't cook the meat well enough. And if you cook a steak from bear meat, you will not get infected with parasites. Usually, people do not know where they can get infected with parasites. They can get into your body mainly through food. My friend worked on a farm in the summer, and when he came home, he had a bad stomach ache. It turned out that he had parasites in his body, and no one said exactly where they came from. He was advised to take niclosamide, which he did. When I checked niclosamide powder price, I was pleasantly surprised that such a drug costs so little.

Edited by Lov66

12 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

That's why when you reach lvl5 cooking, you have 0% chance for IP from cooked meat - you've finally learned to cook it properly!

Which is why I find this the most useful skill which I always aim to develop first. I even cook wolf/bear meat without eating it just to get to 5 quicker, afterwards hunger is no longer a big issue on stalker/interloper, there's suddenly food everywhere :D