Foray into Interloper

darkscaryforest

I've managed to kill 6 wolfs so some coats are coming my way. I suck with the bow (and at archery lvl 2) so a lot of this was pure luck deploying various cowardly techniques I'd like to share for fellow interloper newbies:

-a wolf spotted me and followed me back to my trailer. When I got to the door, they got amnesia and stopped. Then, I kid you not, they turned and howled. The howling kinda makes them unaware of you for a couple seconds. I popped them in the butt (even had time to miss and shoot again). This scenario happened twice.

-I aggroed a wolf and stood at the door of a fishing hut. I insta-killed him on approach, but my back up was to run inside if I missed to avoid death from the charge. This works on v1.83 but future readers beware that its very likely they allow wolves to get into huts again in the future so test that out..

-I made a fire on a nice day in the middle of the ice near fishing huts. I aggro a wolf, he comes to the fire, let him growl, aim and he hesitates for half a second, pop him in the face. If you miss, since you are on the flat ice you can safely reapproach and reaggro to try again. I missed 3 times T_T before killing

-The last 2 was pure luck and one of those moments in game that remind me that it is just a matter of time til I screw up. I walked from the camp office to the dam trailer on a clear night...during an aurora. I get there and 2 wolves are guarding the trailer. Going over my options at about half health freezing, I get the brilliant idea to make a fire and do that trick again...except yeah, apparently aurora wolves don't fear fire. Lucky for me I actually got him in the head with an arrow when the one I aggroed charged me (I have like a 50% success rate doing that). The second one eventually wandered over to my crouched position and I was like screw it and shot him in face with my flare gun. I think flares will still scare aurora wolves if you miss

Edited by darkscaryforest

I'm hoping I've finally got a handle on Interloper. I've tried several times without getting much past 5 days. But then I learned about torch chains and that you can start a fire with a lit flare(duh!)

Now I'm heading out of DP on day 17. I've got a shiny newly crafted knife, hatchet and a ton of arrow heads. Back in CH I have guts, furs and saplings waiting for me, hopefully almost cured.

I'm giddy! This is the first time I've successfully made it to a forge, with the needed tools AND crafted everything. I do have cabin fever risk of 20%, but my clothes are pretty decent and I've got an action plan! I'm going to collect my cured items, maybe craft a bit, but then heading up to PV (shudder) and then hopefully up to TWM.

Look out TLD! 

• Upvote 1

Great thread. So many great contributions! Welcome to Loper @darkscaryforest.

The greatest 'tool' in Interloper might be map knowledge. I gravitated to loper immediately and someone suggested aiming to summit TWM by day ten so I learn the mode trying that.

On cabin fever / ML I recommend the cave on the lake, not above it. That cave is a sheltered sprain/wolf free stroll from the cabin and has a lovely wind proof nook at the mouth. 

On bear hunting... Wait for decent weather. Find a high / safe spot and light a fire. Alternatively, is you're good with the bow you can hit a bear so far out it won't run at you. Then just track it. You'll still need a fire/good weather. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Well, it was a good run, but I fell short of the 50 day mark I was hoping for. My survivor perished on day 46 from a combination of hunger and cold. I feel I made my mistake trying to survive in PV. It was so cold and the weather was so bad that I could kill things left and right, but couldn't harvest much of anything. Even if I could get a fire hot enough, the weather would turn to crap before I could accomplish much. Pleasant Valley.. bleh! I decided to cut my losses, but it was too late. I died in ML.... I never should have left ML...

Of course I IMMEDIATELY started another run. I spawned in TWM. Let's see how far this run can go!

FM spawn is best in loper in my opinion, plot your route to hit known loot spawns and book it for ML.  plot a route around ML for known loot and stash at camp office.  after looting FM and ML to get your basics, hacksaw, hammer, mag lens, you should have saps curing already and a couple hides at least rabbit and deer.  grab a few metal and rush back to spences.  forge a handful of arrowheads and at least 1 knife.  haul this back to ML and spend the next couple weeks gearing up.  everything moves pretty fast once you are able to hunt efficiently.  you should be pretty stout at around 30-40 days, pick your next move but i usually head for CH, loot for clothes, then gear up for a big forging session in DP where i make as many arrowheads, knives and hatchets as i possibly can.  from there its just a matter of exploring and having fun.  get double bear coats finished and enjoy each map, setting up bases at each.

It's been a while since I've had an early death on interloper, my general starting tips would be:

- Know your priorities - immediate dangers (cold/frostbite, wolves), short term (water, matches) and long term (crafting, clothing, food). When you first spawn you need to get to shelter and unless it's near, then to hell with (almost) everything else. You should always have a 'goal' of which problem to fix next, and do not get too distracted from that goal.

- Keep moving between known locations with a high number of resources or important spawns. This ensures you'll stay fed, watered, and clothed without doing any hunting. Have a plan for the day,  know where you're going to travel & sleep. Decide how much HP you can afford to spend to do so, and have a backup plan.

- Work towards your preferred base location. Don't be afraid to use matches for torches/tea, there are plenty in Interloper now, although that hasn't always been the case.

- Travel light, in the early game all you really need to take with you are the important tools and clothing you find and enough food/water for emergencies. Everything else can be left for later.

- Temperature drops as the days go by, and more hostile wildlife appears too. So if you can get 'ahead of the curve' it will make the game much easier for you. It's perfectly possible to have your arrowheads/tools forged within 7 days if you push for it, but aim to do this by day 20-30 at the latest.

Loper is hard earlier. Chaining torches, picking up every stick and carry coal should keep you warm early game. Focus on move and loot then a forge then retreat to a base where you can consolidate and craft gear.

My current loper run started DP (which is good because I want to loot it and never return) then went CH, PV, TWM summit on day 9. Forging at the FM maybe day 12 then back to ML cabin briefly before looting MT and HR. In then end the only key loot fast decaying loot is thermals, wool sweaters and ear protection. Everything else you can make.

Keep at it @garcia_wolfslayer