Warrior update. Read description

Exomalic

I belive that the longdark is a well balanced survival game except for combat. I would like it if there was more predators and wild life that try to hunt you down, wolfs are easily avoidable and to easy to take out. It would be cool if the dev team added weapon attachments such as 4x 6x 8x 10x weapon scopes plus some muzzle upgrades would be cool to let me know what you think?

The Long Dark was intended to be a story-driven game for which survival mode (the sandbox for developing survival mechanics) proved popular enough to be brought out as an alternate mode of play.  Since story mode is not complete, there is little incentive to turn survival mode into a more combative game since that would spill over into story mode which is where the devs energy is largely but not exclusively focused. 

So it may eventually happen, but not right now.  At the current pace, it will likely be up to a year or so before story mode is complete (guesstimate by me on absolutely no actual information). 😁

@Exomalic

No thank you... 
The idea of scopes and other such "weapon mods" has come up many times before.  I recommend using the search function as there has been a lot of great discussion about that topic in previous threads.  I'll just echo what I mentioned in a few of those previous threads: 

On 5/7/2020 at 11:13 PM, ManicManiac said:

No thank you, I don't think there's a need for scopes in this game at all.

It's very much in the same way I think there is no need for binoculars; I don't think they are necessary and I think they would make things too easy for the player.  I'm very rarely in favor of anything that I think makes the game easier for the player.

On 8/27/2019 at 2:35 AM, ManicManiac said:

I like the iron sights better.  I think that scopes would only serve to take some of the challenge out of the game.  I would not be in favor this.

On 5/19/2019 at 11:10 PM, ManicManiac said:

I tend to think that using scopes and such would really take the challenge out of hunting in this game, and binoculars would take some of the danger from exploring.  From my perspective I would say those elements would take away from gameplay rather than improving it.

On 5/29/2020 at 6:44 AM, ManicManiac said:

I think the weapons are great as they are.  I don't see a need to make things more complicated... and I'm generally not in favor of things that game life easier for our survivor.  I also think that an important part of the feel of the game is needing to make due with what you have.

:coffee::fire:
The short version: this idea flies in the face of what I think the game is really about, and I'd hate to see it turn into "Call of Duty: Lost in the Woods." :D
- I think that would be really just too silly.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

For all the reasons that have already been mentioned, we really don't need this to turn into yet another first person shooter.  That said I wouldn't mind some sort of monocular mini-scope, like those used for birdwatching.  That would be used to zoom in and extend the rendering distance for whatever details are in frame.  For example, you're trying to find the High Blind in Forlorn Muskeg, you know it's somewhere to the south of you, but you're too far away for the game to render the model.  Pop out the monocular, scope out the horizon, and you can see it.