Assault on Timberwolf Mountain

dahemac

I have never entered Timberwolf Mountain region. I know all the other regions well except for HRV which I have only played through once. I am curious to see this new place. So, from the warm comfort of (NotSo) Bleak Inlet I am planning an expedition. I know I need a hacksaw. Do I need to make a bearskin coat? It is so heavy. Should I bring a bearskin bedroll or will a regular light-weight one do?

Please let me know if you have any equipment suggestions for this exploration.

Thanks
happy day

Well, this depends on the mode you play and your current clothing. I'm playing it on Pilgrim and had already most of the island looted before I had the heart to pay a visit to TWM. So I never had a problem with temperature there. BI was much colder, but there you have more options to hide...

• Like 1

If you play at Stalker level, you will need warm clothes and supplies to build a fire when necessary.  This can be a challenge as you need to keep your carry weight no more than the maximum (30 Kg at full health), since you can't climb a rope while encumbered.  As a general clothing guide, the sum of your combined warmth and wind bonuses should be at least 35.  If significantly less, you will need to warm up in a shelter frequently.  You should not need to find a hacksaw before you go.  In about a dozen playthroughs, I've always found a hacksaw in the Mountaineer's Hut next to Crystal Lake.  Most of the cargo containers are guarded by wolves, so you will need to either kill them or build a fire next to the container to protect you while you saw away.  Good Luck!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vince 49 said:

You should not need to find a hacksaw before you go.  In about a dozen playthroughs, I've always found a hacksaw in the Mountaineer's Hut next to Crystal Lake.

It's true.  More important to remember simple tools and a few scrap metal for repairing the saw.  If you have the space that is.  A whetstone, a few extra cloth, and a few fishing tackle are always good.

• Like 1

Hands down, one of my most favorite regions in the game!
Typically you will find a hacksaw in the hut on Crystal Lake but usually the condition is fair at best.  There's more hacksaws in a container at the summit, but that wont help you if cannot open the container.
Take @Screenshot Pilgrim advice and bring along some tools and scrap metal so you can make immediate repairs to the hacksaw when you find it.  Even if you decided to bring one with you.   I usually break down a shelf or two in the bunker next to the rope climb before transiting to TWM.  Lots of times there's a hacksaw in the bunker as well.  side note, the lockers in the bunker are sometime locked, so it might make sense to bring a prybar along so you can pop those lockers before you begin your transition to TWM.  
Plenty of loot in those containers, so I would travel as lightly as possible. That way when you go to loot those containers you'll have sufficient room to carry the goods without being severely over encumbered. 

Having the well fed benefit and the moose satchel is advantageous as well considering the sheer amount of loot you'll recover in your quest to the summit.  Good Luck!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

TWM isn't that cold. Just a bit lower than average like your other cold regions. And there are lots of caves around to warm up in. Also indoor caves that are completely warm

I've never found a need for the bearskin bedroll on any mode. Maybe it has some benefits during a blizzard, but the normal bedroll is generally warm enough.

Edited by Serenity
  • Like 2

You look pretty good in that gear.  Just keep it all repaired and you can dramatically increase your warmth and windproof bonus.  I try to never let anything get below 75% if I can help it.   Worn clothing is okay but "decent" or "new" is way better.   If you can, wear two pair of deerskin pants.

and yes, fishing hooks, cause there is a fishing shack up there and that is a great source of food and of course lamp oil for all those storm lanterns your gonna recover when you conquer the summit!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dahemac said:

My current clothing. Warmth +26°C Wind +10°C

screen_(4, 2, -25)_42e621a7-15b6-40dc-aa60-c2adf12c5bea.png

This is more than enough to sleep in Mountaineer's Hut/two layer caves without a fire even during blizzards so you don't have to worry so much.

Also, I would swap slots for deerskin pants and snow pants if I were you. Warmth is cumulative so it doesn't matter if the warmer snow pants is worn as inner or outer layer. But you're missing out on the extra bite protection and waterproofness from the deerskin pants if you wear it inside. Deerskin pants are also way more durable so by wearing it outside, you can slow down the natural decay of your snow pants.

Other tips on what to bring to TWM; bring cooking pots if you want to stay there for a while. I don't think they spawn in TWM.

Edited by gotmilkanot
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 1:12 AM, gotmilkanot said:

Also, I would swap slots for deerskin pants and snow pants if I were you. Warmth is cumulative so it doesn't matter if the warmer snow pants is worn as inner or outer layer. But you're missing out on the extra bite protection and waterproofness from the deerskin pants if you wear it inside. Deerskin pants are also way more durable so by wearing it outside, you can slow down the natural decay of your snow pants.

Thanks for pointing that out. I did not notice that I had gotten them switched around.

• 3 weeks later...

TM is not quite as daunting as it may seem at first.  Like any new region you need to crawl before you run.  Make sure you have a fall back you can go as you get the lay of the land.  Find a new base to operate from and grow from there.  If you tackled HRV you shouldn't have a problem with TM.  For me TM was much easier to first time navigate and the weather was better as well.  That alien feeling in a new region is one of the best the game has to offer.  Enjoy :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, haft2doit said:

TM is not quite as daunting as it may seem at first. 

So I have found. I am at the peak right now.

Hilariously, I was actually in the tail of the plane when I realized that the cargo containers each have TWO (2) parts. I have only looted one of each elsewhere. At least I noticed without having to climb all the way back up first. LOL

Love this game.

45 minutes ago, dahemac said:

So I have found. I am at the peak right now.

Hilariously, I was actually in the tail of the plane when I realized that the cargo containers each have TWO (2) parts. I have only looted one of each elsewhere. At least I noticed without having to climb all the way back up first. LOL

Love this game.

HAH! I know the pain there.  I often go quite some time between runs (to grieve mostly) and I did that exact move in my current run...  Put me behind schedule to get each region explored in 5 days or less.  I made up the time in other areas but I felt a little salty having to revisit the containers :D

• Like 1