piddy3825

Anybody else getting tired of the teleporting bear?

Now that the event is concluded and I'm back in the sandbox,
can we please fix that teleporting bear problem.    Just once, I'd like to track an active blood trail without my prey suddenly vanishing as i pause to take a drink of water and then having to the next two days in game searching for the carcass  only to eventually find it on the other side of the map...

is it just me?

I've not ever experienced any kind of teleporting bear... other than when I'm playing the Hunted challenge of course (which then that's kind of unavoidable in order for the bear to be a pressing menace)...

I perhaps it just ran out of the player's field of view, and likely keeps on running in way's that wouldn't necessarily make sense to us because we don't determine a route based on a patching algorithm (at least not in that same kind of way :D).

I've consistently had success in tracking a kill that I didn't manage to bring down, and on the occasion I do loose the trail... generally by the next morning I find the carcass thanks to the carrion crows.

:coffee::fire:
Granted sometimes tracking can be tough, and sometimes the animals run in routes that don't make much sense to us in our meta-game thinking.
As for the frustration from losing the trail... I don't think it's just you.  I think a lot of folks get frustrated when they lose track of an animal they're hunting.
But I'm not convinced our quarry is teleporting away... I have no experience, nor seen any footage to suggested such a thing is happening.

Edited by ManicManiac

It is totally not just you. I have lost carcasses even after finding them and quartering them....in Bleak Inlet, on the ice, most notably. Literally next to a fire with meat cooking on rocks and I go to my cabin, come back and the sacks are all gone. Really. I have also lost deer and wolf carcasses like this, but luckily no moose. I feel your pain. It sucks but try to keep the wounded animal in sight until it goes down or you can take a second shot. With wolves you can often initiate a wolf struggle to finish them off. After the animal drops, it is a small but unfortunate existing probability that the carcass will vanish. I have read that the devs have fixed this bug and I have not experienced it lately, but just do the best you can. C'est la vie, c'est la morte.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

can we please fix that teleporting bear problem.    Just once, I'd like to track an active blood trail without my prey suddenly vanishing as i pause to take a drink of water and then having to the next two days in game searching for the carcass  only to eventually find it on the other side of the map...

is it just me?

No,  it happens to me too. 

A couple of days ago I put a couple of arrows in the bear from the bridge in MT.  I was on the tree that crosses the road between the car and the bridge.  The bear raced off down the road towards the trailer & the township.  I followed the bear's blood as far as I could and looked all over the place, both sides of the road, as far as the township.  I could find no sign of the bear or see any crows flying above what might be the bear. I gave up. then a day or two later I returned to the bridge and there was the bear carcass outside his cave in a place where I often find the carcass.

It happens often in CH near the Fisherman's huts.  I often shoot the bear then and it runs off never to be found.  In those cases I just assume that I have not searched a large enough area.

• Upvote 1

So far it doesn't sound like it's teleporting... just that folks loose track of them because most animals run much faster than people.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Unless I'm really starving, I usually don't track wounded animals very far, especially bears.  Don't want to get my nice pants mauled to pieces.  Sometimes, I'll just slowly circle around, wait and listen for the death sounds.   If that doesn't work, well, I actually like scouting around for kills the next day.  And yeah, I'll go right out into that morning fog or blizzard to look for it.  If I utterly fail, then I just tell myself the wolves dragged it off to their hidden dens.  

As for possible bugs, I can't say I've experienced any related to this.  At least nothing I can be sure of.

Edited by Screenshot Pilgrim

Teleporting animals seem to be a thing in TLD on and off. It seems to only happen when they go of screen. There was a video a bit ago of this with a wolf.

4 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

So far it doesn't sound like it's teleporting... just that folks loose track of them because most animals run much faster than people.

loosing track is one thing... but when I'm actively tracking and watching the animals movement from a safe distance and suddenly it "winks" out of existence, I'd call that "teleporting" and not loosing sight as you seem to be implying.

1 hour ago, odizzido said:

There was a video a bit ago of this with a wolf.

any chance you remember where you saw this video?  was it in a post or on youtube?

@piddy3825

I wasn't trying to imply anything about the experience you're reporting, and that particular quote you seem to be taking umbrage to was referring to the other posts that came after yours.  As I was saying, what those other poster's seemed to be describing was a more likely case of the player just losing track of their quarry not really describing an observed teleportation.

I've just never experienced what you're describing, if you have indeed witnessed a bear teleporting then I'd definitely recommend putting in a ticket with the support portal.  If that's not intended behavior, I'm sure Hinterland would be keen to investigate and fix the anomaly you're describing. 

If someone does have video footage (from a recent version of the game), then that would be good for a ticket as well. :)

Edited by ManicManiac

2 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

any chance you remember where you saw this video?  was it in a post or on youtube?

It was a post here a while ago. I tried a quick search but I didn't see it.