Ice Box/Freezing System

Pickleberrybob

Would you ever expect someone to kill and gut a bear, and then be able to continually cook and eat the bear meat without properly storing it? No! I would love to see a mechanic/item added where I can place raw meat to slow down its decay. I always put things in a fridge as I like to be organized, perhaps also when the Aurora happens the fridges and stoves can work off the power? That would greatly improve my experience. And one more thing. Make cars work during the Aurora, even if it is only available where you can "drive" to a location in a different region and you are just teleported there, that would be great. I would also love that so that I could pack up my items in the trunk and drive to the next area. The same idea applies with some sort of craft able bike and cart, or even just a hand card that you can pull around more items in! Thank you

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Staircase said:

If you need to keep raw or cooked meat edible you can just dump it in the snow then cook it once it gets to 50% condition to have it last a very long time.  But I think the idea of a useable oven or generally more electronic tools would be nice!

I think electronics are out of action, excepting during weird Aurora.

having said that, it'd be cool if there was a large crafting project to 'retrofit' an electric oven into a stove with 4 burners. Time to get medieval. 

Maybe using a workbench, heavy hammer, collecting a metal pail from the environment, you craft a Firebox (10 hours?) that goes inside the oven (need toolkit to install), plus an obnoxious amount of scrap metal (like 12 pieces). 

Lead is malleable enough to hammer into the shapes you need (gotta decide if this car battery is gonna be bullets or part of a stove), and making an improvised smoke-chimney might need a dozen empty cans linked together (need can opener to remove the bottoms from them).

The idea is... a lot of effort, a lot of resources, but when you're done.... stand back with hands on hips and think to yourself 'Good Job, Me' - this place is a bit more of a home.

• 4 weeks later...

I do think there should be an ice box. You'd think that a frozen carcass would have a low decay rate, but sometimes the meat turns rancid in less that 48 hours. Dropping meat in the snow is a decent idea. I've done it before. However, sometimes meat goes missing (I presume because of thieving wolves). The aurora events don't generate enough electric current to power appliances and the connection isn't stable. Plus sometimes it takes 8 - 10 days to spawn an aurora event when the setting is on medium (for custom). Waiting that long to use electricity for a few hours would be a waste.

I have always been confused by the state of meat storage, especially the fact that I can make a lot of it and eat for a long time. And the fact that wolves do not steal it and lying on the snow it does not attract predators. I think that there is no sense to be wise, but it makes sense to make a box to store it on the street. To do this ,you can use ice to create a makeshift freezer. Well, we need to redo the behavior of wolves.

I also agree that Aurora has little interactive element. If not a refrigerator or a stove, then at least something to use. But there is only trouble. I do not know what could be used with utility and interest.

On 10/13/2020 at 11:46 PM, Omnijack said:

having said that, it'd be cool if there was a large crafting project to 'retrofit' an electric oven into a stove with 4 burners. Time to get medieval. 

One more thing. It seemed to me that most of the stoves I saw in the game were gas stoves. I even think I saw large gas cylinders on the street near some houses. This is by the way mentioned in some messages on computers. I mean, why come up with something complicated, you need to use what you already have.

On 8/1/2020 at 1:56 AM, Pickleberrybob said:

. And one more thing. Make cars work during the Aurora, even if it is only available where you can "drive" to a location in a different region and you are just teleported there, that would be great. I would also love that so that I could pack up my items in the trunk and drive to the next area. The same idea applies with some sort of craft able bike and cart, or even just a hand card that you can pull around more items in! Thank you

We already carry 40 kilograms of weight with us and a little more on top.  Why simplify it? And also, if you're going somewhere. It seems to me that before this it would not be bad to first drive along the road on a tractor, you need to clear it of snow.