The Long Dark Hotfixed to v1.83 [64569]

Admin

885380284_TLD_WE_eventend_SOCIALSHARING.thumb.png.d697f4a38b953ed252756b4509fbce07.png

We’ve released our v1.83 64569 ending the WINTER’S EMBRACE event. If you encounter any issues while playing The Long Dark please visit our Support Portal. 

Thank you to everyone who took part in our first ever Summer Seasonal Event. We hope that you enjoyed struggling to survive in the frosty cold of WINTER’S EMBRACE. 

A big part of any of these events is player participation and we would love to hear about your experience playing WINTER’S EMBRACE in the comments below. What would you like to see us do next time and what would you change about the event?

To stay up-to-date with news and information about The Long Dark and Hinterland, sign up for our newsletter and follow us on  Twitter (Game | Studio).  

THE LONG DARK v1.83 (64569) CHANGELIST

GENERAL 

• [General] Disable the WINTER’S EMBRACE event.

### END OF CHANGELIST ###

Thanks for the event. I had a good time chasing down syrup.  The only changes to the event I would have made are:
1. Allow players to adjust difficulty (harder) 

2. More chance of syrup spawns for those who want to try and get the syrup in 1 run. 

Otherwise, loved trying to stay warm.  

• Upvote 7
  • Like 1

Having played interloper I found that the loot was too abundant and negated the extra cold quite quickly. Knowing the maps and having a grace period meant that I just run around looting for the first 24 hours and was soon set up. I don't think you should just make it harder as most don't play interloper but options to increase difficulty for those that want it would be good. I enjoyed the event and played differently to get the syrup, loot and move constantly instead of consolidating so that was fun and it helped add a few percent to my blizzard feat stats! 

Edited by zcapp96
  • Upvote 3

The event was fine.  It took a while for me to get motivated because I only played Pilgrim and it was in Voyager, but once I made the mental shift away from "survive as long as possible", it worked out find.  Also showed me some of the finer details about coping with wolves that I had to learn since Pilgrim does foster some bad habits.  The limited real-time to play it did help me make my shift.  

I didn't go to Mountain Town or Hushed River Valley, deliberately for my own reasons, though I would have wanted maple syrup to be somewhat more common than it was for me (4 syrup across the rest of the map, excepting MT, HRV, and BI).

I liked indoors being cold at first. Made for some interesting first days where I had to keep a fire going when sleeping. I won't like to go on like that forever, but the extreme amount of loot everywhere soon made everything trivial. I also don't enjoy finding useless stuff everywhere and constantly going through my inventory to throw things away. Weight management is part of the game, sure, but there is no choice to make when there is so much loot. Interloper would have been too much, but Voyager wolves + Stalker loot or something like that could have worked. Stopped playing after a few days because it was more grind than fun for me

Sure, it's good when these events also appeal to new people. But experienced players shouldn't be forgotten

Edited by Serenity
  • Upvote 2

I think this was a wonderful event.  I was able to achieve the goals over the course of 3 saves (so not too rough, all things considered :D).

Thank you Hinterland, this was a wonderful surprise.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

On 7/1/2020 at 7:20 PM, ManicManiac said:

I don't think the events (4DoN as well), are made or intended to be just for the elites.  I think they are made for the wider audience to be able to play and be a little challenged by.  The folks who have dedicated their time to mastering interloper or tuning custom settings to be even harsher... then naturally those folks are going to find the standard challenges and events to be easy.

If you are one of those folks... then I'd suggest adding your own extra rules & provisos, and turn the event into your own personal challenge.
Player choice is very powerful at the changing the experience you have in this game. :)

It seems odd to me that there are folks out there who actually complain about free  extra content.  :D
(no, I'm not referring to those who offered constructive critique - I'm more referring to those folks who have come on the forums to trash the event like Hinterland owed it to them)

On 7/27/2020 at 4:20 AM, ManicManiac said:

I appreciate that Hinterland really wants to do special events for the community (I mean obviously they don't have to, and they seem to do so at their own expense).  As the old saying goes: It's rude to look a gift horse in the mouth.  :)  So I try not to.

Edited by ManicManiac
Edited for clarity...
  • Like 1

I had fun.  Ran my 25 days with a fast sweep through all the maps, and ended with a 3-4 day bonfire hanging out on the mountain peak.  The additional cold was interesting, and while it wasn't a huge challenge, it did shift my focus for what I was carrying and wearing. 

It shook up my game a bit and reminded me I don't always have to play the same way, which is (IMO) one of the big reasons to have events and challenges in the first place. 

• Upvote 1

It was a very interesting experience and it was truly a good idea to match new stuff with a event.

Changing game parameters offer many possibilities to make an event...like changing temperature, wind, no houses, no gun...

can’t wait for the next event 

I loved the event. I'm happy there's another event like 4DON. My only complaint is the maple syryp and ketchup chips badge. Creating multiple saves just with the aim of collecting enough syrup due to its scarcity is kind of tiresome.

• Upvote 1

It was sad that a full run of looting everything didn't produce the maple syrups needed for the badge. Next thing I new, I was already 100 days in only had around 6 to my name. While it was interesting dealing with the cold and downing every bag of chips and syrups in sight (and the sickness that came with them!), the grind kind of burned me out of the game. I still want to play it, don't get me wrong, but I needed several saves which consisted of me checking everything and then still having crap luck while others made off with 4+ syrups from an area.

• Upvote 3

I had a tremendously good time playing the event.  I appreciated the ability to complete the badge challenge across multiple saves as I did experience a few "deaths" in pursuit of the blessed maple nectar.  In hindsight, however I do wish it would have been possible to have been able to complete the challenge by spawning 25 or more bottles across the entire world map and made sure the bottle spawning was totally randomized within region(s).  Instead of just having guaranteed bottles pop up like in the PV farmhouse for example. 

just my two cents...

• Upvote 2

I found the indoor temp drop to not really do anything beyond the very start of the game. If I had to change that I would make the indoor temperature be effected by the outdoor temperate + indoor fires. Pretty much I would like this....

each in game hour:
indoor temp = indoor temp - ((indoor temp - outdoor temp)/10) + (fire temperature(s) / 5)

The numbers/equation would have to be played with of course, I am just making them up. But the idea is to have it so the the house will always be chasing the outside temperature but can be warmed up by a fire. The larger the temperature difference the faster it will change, though a house should stay warm for a significant amount of time.

Having to actually heat a house could make for some more interesting gameplay I feel. If you guys are concerned it would be too difficult then each house could have a little stash of wood to help players heat buildings for a time.

Plus a difficulty option....perhaps just add it as an option for custom games in addition to the event.

• Upvote 1

Really enjoyed the challenge especially in the beginning when you are scrambling to find gear. Did want the Canadian feast badge but though I covered 90+% of the map, found mostly ketchup chips. Did however make me want to try ketchup chips. Never had them before but I can make a mean sweet potato pie.

• Upvote 1

Can't remember why, but I missed both 4DON events, so this one being open for a whole month was great.  The time running out over the course of the weeks kept it on my mind periodically as I went through my work days outdoors.  It would have been nice for there to have been a big syrup cache hidden in one of the outer regions to offer the possibility of a one start win, in addition to the multiple start strategy.   Well, maybe there was one, and I just didn't find it.  🙃 

First of all, Thank You! We all needed a  break from the pandemic and this was a perfect way to shake off some of the monotony. And our break came at the expense of your team working harder, so thanks to everyone at Hinterland!

I really enjoyed the challenges and found both badges to be achievable. I agree with those who have said it would be nice to adjust the difficulty settings.

I found syrup consistently in several places so used the "start and quit" game strategy, but would really have liked to find them in fewer runs that were longer. So maybe a bit more availability.

Lastly, it would be nice to see how many of each feast item I had consumed  (I sucked at keeping track on my own).

• Upvote 1

Although my Astrid did not found the golden nectar in required quantity even though she called Will and some her cousins, I enjoyed the event. The main plus for me was the weather. I am mostly voyager and the fact that entering building does not stop freezing was unusual for me and welcomed change. 

This build produced a hole in the floor of the Milton gas station bathroom. You fall into the void and start back at the front door. You can avoid it by hugging the right side as you enter the bathroom. Not a game-breaker but it is a bug!  :)

Steam on Linux

First, thank you for the free event. It is rare these days to be given something like that without coughing up more money. Appreciated. 

For me I would have liked the option of incorporating the event into my current saved game. I am not one of those sissy types that complain it is too hard and they may die, this ruining a long term game. It is about survival and being tested. Literally what this game is about. I’d welcome the new challenge after being "out there” for going on 200 days now. 

Like many others here, I really enjoyed the way the challenge shook up my play style - enough that I've now started doing the existing Challenges, which I hadn't touched before.

I also really liked the cold difference - and pursued that in my latest custom Survival game.

The rarity of the Maple Syrup, and the need to grind multiple games to get to it, almost had me give up in disgust. I much prefer both piddy3825's suggestion of 25 Syrups randomized across the entire island, and Screenshot Pilgrim's suggestion of a large cache of Syrups in an out-of-the-way location. TBH, that's what I thought the challenge was doing, until I got frustrated and started reading others' posts in the forums about their experience.

• Upvote 1

For the most part I enjoyed this - once we got past the no save glitch. :) The maple syrup hunt was a bit of a slog though.  If you do something similar again, I would really change it to something like find syrup in all regions with a check box that shows our progress.  Otherwise the set up encouraged just creating new games in Milton over and over and over again.  I am psyched that our saves carried over.  I was enjoying Astrid Bear Bane.  A wish list for me would be being able to opt into stalker like difficulties.  Where fire doesn't automatically over come the cold, cabin fever is real, and parasites exist.  You want to eliminate sprains - I'm ok with that.  :)

• Upvote 1