Selecting what to use to light a torch.

UTC-10

I could be wrong about what I think I see since I don't really use a torch often and when I do I may go to some lengths to use a particular form of match (cardboard vs wood).

When lighting a torch, can the player be given a choice of what fire starting device he will use even if he only has one type?  I can presently see that if a player has wood matches and a fire striker that the game will ask which one the player will use to light an equipped torch.  I would ask whether it would be a problem to have the choices, as a first step, include available fire starting devices - cardboard matches, wood matches, and fire striker - even if the player only has one type?  As second step if that is feasible, how about extending that to differentiate different condition matches and fire strikers and let the player decide which and what condition device he would use? Admittedly that can get in the way.

As a side benefit, such a step would mitigate the occasional problem of carrying an equipped torch, hit the LMB because one wanted to interact with some object and because the game has not yet recognized the object, it assumes the player wants to light the torch so it strikes a match which immediately goes out because most times the player does not CLICK and HOLD the LMB  to complete lighting the torch as it  was not the intended action.  

I do not consider this any kind of priority.  We learn about not casually equipping a torch.  I think this as more a quality of life issue.  Make it easier than dropping all my wood matches because I want to use a cardboard one.  🙂  I do like the option to choose which matches I use - cardboard or wood. 

• Upvote 5

• 5 months later...

I would like to upvote especially the first part: to be able to select cardboard matches over wood matches. (if I have both, the game only offers wood matches).

I am primarily using torches to light fires with and making sure only 1 match is used up, even if it does not work for the first time.
For the same purpose, the crapcardboard matches are just perfect, but I have to drop the wood matches on the floor first, to be able to use the cardboard ones for lighting the torch, and then recollect the wood matches... quite tedious.
Would also work, if the game was automatically using the cardboard matches by default, if I have both.
Thanks for your thoughts and consideration!

Edited by AdamvR

On 7/30/2020 at 9:50 PM, UTC-10 said:

IAs a side benefit, such a step would mitigate the occasional problem of carrying an equipped torch, hit the LMB because one wanted to interact with some object and because the game has not yet recognized the object, it assumes the player wants to light the torch so it strikes a match which immediately goes out because most times the player does not CLICK and HOLD the LMB  to complete lighting the torch as it  was not the intended action. 

It would be nice to prevent this issue somehow regardless of whether or not we get a choice.  Personally, it doesn't bother me a whole lot since there are ample matches overall in the game settings that allow the cardboard matches to spawn.  Also, once one gets to fire starting 3, the odds of starting a fire with either match type and a book or when using an accelerant is 100%... and I usually have at least 1 book or 1 accelerant on me.

While we're at it, a similar option for opening Cans would be great. I MIGHT be wrong about this and it could've been patched out, but if I remember right the game currently opens cans with the priorities of can opener > knife > hatchet > by hand. That's a perfectly logical progression until you reach Cooking Level 3, at which point it should just be can opener > by hand. (using the can opener is pointless but if a player's carrying one and wants to use it for immersion's sake, that's fine and it doesn't negatively impact players as can openers aren't good for anything else except harvesting)

This results in a super jank situation where the optimal way to open canned food is to make sure you aren't holding any knives/hatchets, then opening the can.

I can appreciate why Hinterland don't want a popup menu for these relatively mundane actions, but it'd be nice to have something in an advanced options menu to change the priorities. Let us reorder things like fuel/food orders in the firestarting/cooking UI while we're at it.

By the way, even though I agree with the thread in general, personally I think using wood matches first makes more sense on the whole. Cardboard matches have the advantage of being 50% lighter with their disadvantage vs wood matches being 5% less fire lighting chance, which should be largely irrelevant once you hit Firestarting Level 5. Therefore, it's generally ideal to burn *budumtiss* all those "high quality" firestarting items early, with the arguable exception of Firestriker due to it being super weight-efficient, then relying on cardboard matches later once your firestarting % is good enough that you don't mind it.