Can wolf get in a fishing cabin?

Dederus

I know they did at one time... :D
I suppose it's possible that changed in recent updates, but here is a one of my personal experiences.
305620_screenshots_20181017181738_1.thumb.jpg.cc59bb7ccf3572c8a0d7fc057fd6a494.jpg

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I've never put myself in that situation again, because getting jumped in close quarters was rough.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

Once I was behind fence and bear went throu house.

Another time I was in  mountaineer's hut and wolf head was stuck in the fireplace.

I think you were standing too close to the wall so wolf attacked you throu wall.

I was in the fishing cabin and wolf was outside. Sudenly there was a wolf nose through wall. I thouhgt "If wolf can cheat through walls, I can cheat and shoot it". And I shot him to the nose. There was blood on the ground and lately I found a wolf steaks. But I did not encounter wolf fully in the fishing cabin.

4 hours ago, SirSharper said:

I've shot bears & wolves and they have chased me down to the cabin, but once i step inside they just go away. 

Interesting, has that been in recent months (and even when there is no door)?  Ever since I got wrecked in a fishing hut once some years ago I stopped thinking of them as a haven (unless it had a door).

If so, I might have to start up a quick stalker run just to test.  ^_^

Edited by ManicManiac

26 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Interesting, has that been in recent months (and even when there is no door)?  Ever since I got wrecked in a fishing hut once some years ago I stopped thinking of them as a haven (unless it had a door).

If so, I might have to start up a quick stalker run just to test.  ^_^

you no what, i didnt pay attention to if it had a door or not (i definitely didnt close the door) but i do tuck myself as far back as possible. 

Today I have been fighting teleportin bear.

He teleported evry time he grained agro. Later he just went throu my fishing cabin.

He didnt atacked me, he just went by me. I took sc too late to get his head so I got only his ass428946907_niedwiedwbudce.thumb.jpg.5753333d07bea1d7ad8680edaa8f9e89.jpg

Somethink was wron about him from the beginnig.

He had very strange path I have never encountered before and he respawned one hour after I killed him (but there is small probability it was another bear in same spot I dont know).

Edited by Dederus
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SirSharper said:

you no what, i didnt pay attention to if it had a door or not (i definitely didnt close the door) but i do tuck myself as far back as possible. 

Putting your self as far back as possible is a mistake becouse some parts of your body may be sticking out of hut and they may be atacked.

You have to be in the middle. It will work even without doors unless bug like the one I posted happens.

Edited by Dederus
  • Upvote 1

I understand about the wolves/bears clipping through the wall... but I was taking about a time a few updates back as the pathfinding for wolves was improving.  The wolf actually ran through the doorway and was very much inside the fishing hut; proceeding to take a chunk out of me. :D

[Addendum]
After knifing the wolf pretty thoughtfully it wasn't able to leave (it got stuck in one of the corners) and died in that hut too... It didn't occur to me to take a screen shot until the next morning after the harvested carcass has de-spawned (hence the screenshot only showing my blood spatter on the ground and on the stove.

Here's what happened:

On 5/8/2019 at 11:22 PM, ManicManiac said:

I wasn't carrying anything attractive... the only food I had on me was cattail stalks.  The situation was I was making my way to the fishing hut with the intent to do some fishing.  Wolf started talking me (and up until that time, I knew fishing huts would scare them off - it was a safe zone), so I sprinted to the hut and crouched down in the back by the stove.  Much to my surprise there had been a recent update the changed this... the wolf charged and made a b-line, tackling me with no hesitation :D
I was shocked, as that had never happened to me before.  I found out about the behavior change later, but let me tell you that sudden strike made me about jump out of my chair.  :D

So this is the kind of thing I want to test out, now that we're in v1.82  :)

[Addendum]
I kind of hope that fishing hut's aren't "safe zones" but I suspect they probably are.  In either case, I just kind of want to take a couple of minutes to morrow to test it out for myself too.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I understand about the wolf "clipping" through the wall... but I was taking about a time a few updates back as the pathfinding for wolves was improving.  The wolf actually ran through the doorway and actually came inside the fishing hut to take a chunk out of me. :D

Here's what happened:

So this is the kind of thing I want to test out in now that we're v1.82  :)

Tell me about this test after you are done.

@Dederus

The experience you shared is most interesting.  Makes me want to test the bear at some point too... I had one strange occurrence during one of my previous runs where the bear was frightened (twice) by the sight of me emerging from my sleeping bag.  I was genuinely irritated that I wasn't mauled to death for being so careless about where I'd decided to try and catch a nap.

But I didn't dare try to reproduce it again.  I've been working on a personal challenge and that has been my main priority for the past year. :D

Edited by ManicManiac

Something is going on. As I wrote somewhere else. I was in BI on the monkey path. This should be safe right? If you remember the path, there is a place after you pass the gate. I mean the place with lot of beams you have to shimmy your way. When I passed it, there is jump onto the trailer. I turned back and saw a timberwolf on the path from the gate to the shimmy roof. Lucky me, the wolf did not followed me through beams. Maybe revolver shot discouraged it. Thats why I dont have screenshot. I pulled the trigger on revolver instead of camera.

Another weird was later on the monkey trail. When you pass the crane, there is big engine or something on the ground. I was standing on the floor. Ground is 3m bellow me, the top of the engine is about 1m below me, slightly in front. Wolf was running towards me and the engine. Suddenly it was on the top of the freacking engine. Again no screenshot, but underpant change.

This clipping together with better path finding can be deadly.

12 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

@Dederus

The experience you shared is most interesting.  Makes me want to test the bear at some point too... I had one strange occurrence during one of my previous runs where the bear was frightened (twice) by the sight of me emerging from my sleeping bag.  I was genuinely irritated that I wasn't mauled to death for being so careless about where I'd decided to try and catch a nap.

But I didn't dare try to reproduce it again.  I've been working on a personal challenge and that has been my main priority for the past year. :D

Your test will probably not give same results. This bear was bugged. You must find bear which is not behaving as normal bear. 

I've had both wolves and bears attack through walls and fences. But, floating point numbers aren't exact so there's always a chance of wonky inconsistencies. The environment is incredibly complex and I would imagine there are quite a few calculations involved in determining if/when a wolf actually initiates an attack.

I intentionally dropped a lot of gear on top of a rock and it all disappeared. "Sank" into the rock. I could pick the gear up, but couldn't be sure if I got it all back.

16 hours ago, stirfoo said:

I've had both wolves and bears attack through walls and fences. But, floating point numbers aren't exact so there's always a chance of wonky inconsistencies. The environment is incredibly complex and I would imagine there are quite a few calculations involved in determining if/when a wolf actually initiates an attack.

I intentionally dropped a lot of gear on top of a rock and it all disappeared. "Sank" into the rock. I could pick the gear up, but couldn't be sure if I got it all back.

I think this sound true. I have been attacked by wolves and bears a few times when I did not think it was possible.
I think the animals glitch through walls, and whether they attack you or not depends on whether the player is within biting distance. Shortly put, I assume that bears and wolf are not meant to attack you in fishing huts, but can if glitching.

Another spot I just found is the boxcar between the dam and the office, the one you have to walk up a fallen tree to get into. I was standing in the doorway, not on the tree, and a wolf attacked. I don't really fault that one but it did surprise me.  I guess the floor of the boxcar was just low enough.

Today I tested this on a new interloper map on v1.83.  I aggroed a wolf and hid in a fishing cabin without a door and waited.  The wolf closed in on the cabin, growled, then ran away. I tried twice more on a voyager save where I had a gun. Both times I aimed at the wolf when it was close, causing him to charge. After ducking in the cabin, again, both times the wolf ran.

Welp... :D

I finally got around to starting a new test bed just for this.  Sadly, it seems that fishing huts are save zones.  You folks were right, I don't know when that changed again... but it certainly seems to be the case as of yesterday.

Oh well...
I really dislike safety-nets... so I'm just going to choose not to take advantage of it.

No, and neither can other predators. But the same rules apply for all predators when you're inside something that doesn't cause a transition (this includes snow shelters, Mountaineer's Hut and Lookout Towers): if it can get close enough to you, a struggle might trigger directly. E.g. stand away from doors and walls.

Perfect example is standing near the door to be able to see an approaching wolf. Near enough and it drags you out and has a bit of a hug. :P 

You might be able to scare a wolf into a fishing hut if you place a fire at the right distance from it and try lots of times. I have to try that someday and close the door :D

Edited by Gun Tech.
  • Upvote 1