Best temp for curing?

Niskavuori

Howdy,

Been wondering which is the ideal temperature for curing? In some open caves I'll get close to 100% pelts and guts. Just a few meters deeper or closer to opening the % is even below 90. Have not had fire or slept in them, so they can not effect the result.
All this curiosity, cause I finaly learned the entering to a area - you know the black screen, while loading - where you have your pelts curing, also launches rotting calculator at them.

44 minutes ago, Serenity said:

The exact temperature doesn't matter. Open caves always have a colder front part and a warmer back part

So what is the cause of some pelts and cuts being "ruined" under 90%?
Same cave and totaly different results in different parts. Is it the time they have been in backbag prior to curing?

My little head is exploding....

On 7/22/2020 at 11:06 PM, Niskavuori said:

Howdy,

Been wondering which is the ideal temperature for curing? In some open caves I'll get close to 100% pelts and guts. Just a few meters deeper or closer to opening the % is even below 90. Have not had fire or slept in them, so they can not effect the result.
All this curiosity, cause I finaly learned the entering to a area - you know the black screen, while loading - where you have your pelts curing, also launches rotting calculator at them.

next time your enter a cave, pay attention to two different clues as to the cross over point from being technically still outside vs. inside of a cave.  
you'll notice that when you walk in and head directly to the back without stopping that your speed will suddenly drop and you kinda slow down the pace.  At that point you are slowing down you have crossed the threshold are are now inside.  Also the coloring of the floor shading changes hues from the lighter icy blue color near the cave entrance to the darker deeper blue stone look.  

ever notice a corpse near a fire pit by an entrance?  don't let that placement fool you as technically you are still outside, so if you drop hides and guts to cure, they actual decay instead.  Whilst just a few meters away in the back of the cave, items placed there will cure just fine.  I don't even bother using that fire pit as I prefer to go to the deepest part of the cave to set up my campsite.   

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

next time your enter a cave, pay attention to two different clues as to the cross over point from being technically still outside vs. inside of a cave.  
you'll notice that when you walk in and head directly to the back without stopping that your speed will suddenly drop and you kinda slow down the pace.  At that point you are slowing down you have crossed the threshold are are now inside.  Also the coloring of the floor shading changes hues from the lighter icy blue color near the cave entrance to the darker deeper blue stone look.  

ever notice a corpse near a fire pit by an entrance?  don't let that placement fool you as technically you are still outside, so if you drop hides and guts to cure, they actual decay instead.  Whilst just a few meters away in the back of the cave, items placed there will cure just fine.  I don't even bother using that fire pit as I prefer to go to the deepest part of the cave to set up my campsite.   

I use the warmer part of the cave to sleep through the night without a fire. But if you want to cook in a cave, the colder part works better as outdoor fires last longer with colder temperatures.

36 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

you'll notice that when you walk in and head directly to the back without stopping that your speed will suddenly drop and you kinda slow down the pace.  At that point you are slowing down you have crossed the threshold are are now inside. 

Thank you, thanks, kiitos, tack, merci....

With one stroke you answered two of my questions!
I've been wondering what is that speed limit border inside caves. Often waking up in a cave and starting to walk towards opening and found out that first I drag myself and than suddenly speed up. But inside/outside border, makes perfectly sence!