Building relationship with left over Timberwolf

TheFromzzz

Maybe already named but I think would be amazing to have the option to try building a relationship with the left over Timberwolf that now is scared and alone. Maybe by gently offering meat or something, it should be made very difficult I think and a long taking effort where allot of patience of the player is needed.  Moving to soon leading to bites and needing to start over or something. If succeeded and the bond is made, it will follow you and possible have a slight effect on other attacking packs protecting wise. Or only against normal wolfs, or something. 

It's an idea that's been brought up in many previous threads:

On 5/24/2020 at 5:23 AM, ManicManiac said:

Even purely from a lore perspective, I just don't think it would be feasible to have an carnivorous animal companion.  I've mentioned it before so I will echo what I've previously mentioned:

On 5/20/2019 at 11:16 PM, ManicManiac said:

I used to think it would be cool to be able to have an animal companion.  Then I considered not just how difficult it might be to implement that kind of thing, and about the lore itself.  Animal companions really wouldn't seem very feasible due to the Aurora's effects on wildlife... especially the carnivores.

On 8/31/2019 at 5:37 AM, ManicManiac said:

reasonably consistent with the lore of the game, even if we did find a dog... it would probably immediately try to eat our faces off due to the effects the aurora (in that carnivores animals are preternaturally aggressive and blood thirsty) :D

On 9/11/2019 at 2:01 AM, ManicManiac said:

I just don't think it would fit with the lore of the game very well.  I've had this subject on my wish lists before (a while back).  The conversation sort of came to the realization that dogs are carnivores, so they would most likely just turn hyper-aggressive like the other carnivores in the game.  Making this particular type of animal companion somewhere in between "extremely dangerous" and "just not possible under the circumstances."  :)

On 5/24/2020 at 5:23 AM, ManicManiac said:

Don't get me wrong, it's a neat idea (one that I wished for a long time ago)... but the more I thought about it; I just don't think it would be consistent with the lore of the game.

:coffee::fire:
I know some of my previous posts repeat a little bit... but that's just a product of the same subjects coming up pretty frequently. :)
I recommend using the search function, there's been a lot of really good discussion about this subject in the past.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

From a realistic view I’m not sure wolves would go aggressive from the aurora. Now of course this game is fictional and Hinterland can do what they want with the story, but most geomagnetic storms don’t cause those kinds of animals to act out. It mostly causes whales to beach themselves and birds have their magnetoreception (an ability that allows animals to sense the magnetic field to orient themselves, I.e. homing pigeons use it to find their homes) messed with.

35 minutes ago, Themadlad94 said:

From a realistic view I’m not sure wolves would go aggressive from the aurora.

And, also from a realistic view... wolves are generally rather skittish when it comes to humans, but this game isn't trying to be hyper-realistic.

In the lore of the game, the Geomagnetic disaster (and the Aurora that accompanies it) does have those listed effects on animals in this fictional setting...  This is where the story's narrative threads build part of it's foundation (the other being it's impact on human technology). :)

So while the animal behavior is not realistic, and at best very very unlikely... it's just how it behaves in the fictional world the game inhabits.  So in that context a realistic view isn't really all that important.  I think that just like any other fictional story, "internal logic" and "narrative consistency" are more important than emulating our reality.

Edited by ManicManiac

A wolfs aggressiveness is more or less based on the breed of the wolf, how hungry said wolf is and how the wolf views you whether as prey or a threat though they mostly from my experience view humans as food. Canada’s most common breed of wolf is the  timber wolf otherwise know as the grey wolf. As someone who has been on almost 7 grey wolf hunts over my life I can say from experience that they are very aggressive and actively hunt and kill people who are not paying attention. If the wolf however views you as a threat they tend to run away which is demonstrated in game by them being afraid of flares, fire and loud noises.

• Like 1

MYTH: Wolves are a deadly menace to humans.

FACT:
In North America, there have been six documented unprovoked attacks causing injury, and 21 believed to be related to wolves which had been fed by humans, in over a century. One attack attributed to wolves was fatal – though there is still some debate regarding the actual cause of death, some believe the wolves scavenged – that attack is one of the 21 which involved human-fed wolves. Domestic dogs kill more people per year than wolves.

I live in the USA and there are currently only 18,000 grey wolves 2/3 of which are in Alaska.  The grey wolves are the breed which most commonly would attack humans have been almost extinct for the past century due to being over hunted because of there aggressive behavior. AND most of the grey wolves that are now living in the lower 48 states (which is were most of the people are located) are being constantly tracked via satellite. Further more grey wolves only populate about 10% of there original teritory. So it could be said that because of the small amount of wolves that there is a very low chance of them coming into contact with humans in the first place 

Edited by YeomanWarDer