Hunting Skill (or Tracking Skill)

UTC-10

As a possible new leveled skill.  

The point would be to make it easier to actually follow a bleeding animal and locate it.  Currently, the tracks and blood drops fade 1) after a while if there is wind or snow, 2) after a while if there is NO wind or snow, or 3) after a while after the animal dies.  Also it some times takes a noticeable amount of time for the droplets to appear - I have been tracking a deer or wolf then came to the apparent end of the blood trail, cast about, returned to the last spot where I saw blood drops then 'there are more blood drops". 

Level 1 - default as per the current game mechanics.

Level 2 - blood drops appear more quickly, assuming a player was not running, the blood trail should not otherwise peter out.

Level 3 - blood drops and tracks last longer, say additional 30 game minutes over usual time, assuming good weather, even if the animal has died. 

Level 4 - blood drops last longer, say additional 60 game minutes over usual time, assuming good weather, even if the animal has died. 

Level 5- blood drops last, say additional 120 minutes over usual time, assuming good weather, except now the player has a clue/sense of the direction the animal was in relation to him when it died but not distance.  

The skill should only apply to animals that have been shot with the revolver, rifle, or bow.  Snares do not count since the rabbit should be dead at it.  In bad weather, the usual covering up of the blood and tracks apply.  Hunting books could help advance skill to Level 4 after which experience is needed to advance.  Otherwise how many hunts the player needs to advance is something to be determined later. 

Just a consideration for eventual implementation.  Not expecting anything like this anytime soon.  😁

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 4:57 PM, UTC-10 said:

As a possible new leveled skill.  

The point would be to make it easier to actually follow a bleeding animal and locate it.  Currently, the tracks and blood drops fade 1) after a while if there is wind or snow, 2) after a while if there is NO wind or snow, or 3) after a while after the animal dies.  Also it some times takes a noticeable amount of time for the droplets to appear - I have been tracking a deer or wolf then came to the apparent end of the blood trail, cast about, returned to the last spot where I saw blood drops then 'there are more blood drops". 

Level 1 - default as per the current game mechanics.

Level 2 - blood drops appear more quickly, assuming a player was not running, the blood trail should not otherwise peter out.

Level 3 - blood drops and tracks last longer, say additional 30 game minutes over usual time, assuming good weather, even if the animal has died. 

Level 4 - blood drops last longer, say additional 60 game minutes over usual time, assuming good weather, even if the animal has died. 

Level 5- blood drops last, say additional 120 minutes over usual time, assuming good weather, except now the player has a clue/sense of the direction the animal was in relation to him when it died but not distance.  

The skill should only apply to animals that have been shot with the revolver, rifle, or bow.  Snares do not count since the rabbit should be dead at it.  In bad weather, the usual covering up of the blood and tracks apply.  Hunting books could help advance skill to Level 4 after which experience is needed to advance.  Otherwise how many hunts the player needs to advance is something to be determined later. 

Just a consideration for eventual implementation.  Not expecting anything like this anytime soon.  😁

It's a good idea, but I think I'd rather the developers tone down the crazy antics of larger animals running half way across the map, up and down steep inclines, etc for an hour after getting shot. At the very least, they could have the injured animal progressively slow down until they finally give out.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

I am not sure if it happens anymore, but people were saying timberwolves were running around at full speed snarling and barking for days in the middle of a blizzard. Those are some pretty freakin' determined wolves.

Anyways I like the idea of a tracking skill. I would love to see animal tracks be a part of it too, as well as an increase in the roaming range of animals. Currently they have a tiny little circle where they can be which means you reliably know where to find food and you don't need to pay much attention to what's happening around you.....which is a shame.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, odizzido said:

I am not sure if it happens anymore, but people were saying timberwolves were running around at full speed snarling and barking for days in the middle of a blizzard. Those are some pretty freakin' determined wolves.

It still happens in my experience.

1 hour ago, odizzido said:

Anyways I like the idea of a tracking skill. I would love to see animal tracks be a part of it too, as well as an increase in the roaming range of animals. Currently they have a tiny little circle where they can be which means you reliably know where to find food and you don't need to pay much attention to what's happening around you.....which is a shame.

Yea, that might be good as well. I know some people were clamoring for more randomness for the animal spawns, especially in higher difficulties.

• Upvote 1

I don't know what algorithm the devs used to determine blood droplets, but I wonder if there might be a way to make the blood trail give some indication, such as the number of drops, about the severity of the bleeding wound?  I have never hunted nor shot an animal, so I am in the dark about this but this is a game.  It might be scaled as 1 hour bleed out is represented by pairs of blood drops and anything longer by single blood drops.  This could modify my suggested benefits for a given level by allowing the player to get an idea of what kind/how severe the hit he got on the animal was. 

• 1 year later...

I like your ideas. I would love to have a tracking skill, it would make sense and be in line with a lot of the other skills. I wouldn't just limit it to shot animals though, you see tracks or animal activity all the time, you should be able to track an animal based on those indicators.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

How about this? 😄

Instead of the Hunting skill, we get Witcher skill😲.  Follow a dying animal across clean blank snow now that the wind and snowfall covered the tracks and drops of blood by using our "Witcher" skill to see the marks.  Will or Astrid can even make comments like, "a good hit, the deer wont last long"😁