Interloper: can I reach to HRV signal fire at the opening?

sonics01

I'm practicing loper HRV opening and exploring possibilities. Some positions are well known for fixed or almost fixed hacksaw, prybar, bedroll, ski jacket, earwrap, combat pants, and etc. But my question is, is this possible to reach HRV signal at the beginning? 

Loper does not provide any lootable hatchets, it is not possible to cross the brushes. But I read some posts from here and elsewhere, that HRV signal fire provide (almost fixed) hammer and mckinaw jacket, and sometimes even could find a moose carcass nearby. So, I'm curious if it is possible to reach to signal fire in loper HRV start. 

Not a Loper, so take this with a grain: the long-rope fire is accessible without hatchet by hugging the left-wall instead of going through the brush, but there is no way back w/o the brush.  So I think you'd need to take the rope with you.  Then you need to descend from where the fire is.

Note: I haven't done this, and the above is from memory.  But that's what I'd try.

• Upvote 1

I think it might be possible at least at one of the spawns(I think it can spawn at two spots? Maybe?). It's on my list of things to try whenever I happen to play around in HRV. Last time I tried I could get past the brush without a hatchet.....but getting back I am not so sure. It may just be a death sentence.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, NardoLoopa said:

Not a Loper, so take this with a grain: the long-rope fire is accessible without hatchet by hugging the left-wall instead of going through the brush, but there is no way back w/o the brush.  So I think you'd need to take the rope with you.  Then you need to descend from where the fire is.

Thank you! I will check myself next time, see if I can do something about it.   

1 hour ago, odizzido said:

I think it might be possible at least at one of the spawns(I think it can spawn at two spots? Maybe?). It's on my list of things to try whenever I happen to play around in HRV. Last time I tried I could get past the brush without a hatchet.....but getting back I am not so sure. It may just be a death sentence.

Looks like I need to do some "mountain goating" I will check this later. But I think this requires some luck, because no one knows which fire is smoking. 

Guest jeffpeng

I won't tell you how, but both signal fires are accessible without a hatchet. 😉 Also it is possible to escape from both fires, even without a rope, although both involve mountain goating since you cannot go back in both instances. The one with the rope climb can definitely be done without hurting yourself, the other one will cause some mild damage. Interestingly enough most brush barriers can be circumvented at least in one direction.

Also: The hammer is not set, the mackinaw is. Plus there are guaranteed matches in the small cave near the ice-cave entrance with the waterfall which one should acquire beforehand. This will make exploring the caves significantly easier and will help when it comes to dealing with cave dwelling wolves - and save you from dying from thirst.

On 7/22/2020 at 1:09 AM, jeffpeng said:

I won't tell you how, but both signal fires are accessible without a hatchet. 😉 Also it is possible to escape from both fires, even without a rope, although both involve mountain goating since you cannot go back in both instances. The one with the rope climb can definitely be done without hurting yourself, the other one will cause some mild damage. Interestingly enough most brush barriers can be circumvented at least in one direction.

Really? OK I will definitely try this next time. Yeah, I agree "mountain goating" is inevitable, but well, I think I will be OK. We are all skilled rock climbers thanks to TWM. XD 

In my loper run, I get a hammer right next to the snow shelter, but I think that lucky then. Yeah, I know, the normal cave near Reclusive Falls ice cave. I always pick some cat tails all the way up to there, get a match (and toque if I'm lucky), then go to Reclusive fall entry for combat pants and ear wrap. But there is a good chance of a wolf spawning inside the valley around the reclusive falls, so it needs some luck XD Thanks to tips anyway. BTW, in the north, one normal cave has fixed prybar too. Kinda small insurance against wolf struggle in HRV starting, and helpful in Milton. I really like HRV because of its high-risk high-return policy. I died so many times there (it is really cold there and too windy even in day 1), but I think it was worth the effort. 

Edited by sonics01

Guest jeffpeng
On 7/24/2020 at 4:29 AM, sonics01 said:

In my loper run, I get a hammer right next to the snow shelter, but I think that lucky then.

That's a 2 in 4 chance. 

I actually came to like HRV as an Interloper start. If you know your game and you maps you can have quite the flying start there.