Coffee fiend / cooking coffee

wilsonaka

It's a two-fer.

1. This is very simple. Add the ability to make more than 1 cup of coffee or tea when utilizing the cooking pot.  It's 4x the capacity of a can, I think we could reasonably expect it to make more.

2. Excessive consumption of coffee gives you the "jitters".  Aim is affected (much like freezing/shivering, maybe not quite as dramatic), and you lose your ability to craft effectively (time penalty or refusal to craft).

Have a great day everybody!

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, wilsonaka said:

1. This is very simple. Add the ability to make more than 1 cup of coffee or tea when utilizing the cooking pot.  It's 4x the capacity of a can, I think we could reasonably expect it to make more.

YES

35 minutes ago, wilsonaka said:

2. Excessive consumption of coffee gives you the "jitters". 

please no, how else am i supposed to run all day every day

On 7/11/2020 at 12:47 AM, wilsonaka said:
On 7/11/2020 at 12:47 AM, wilsonaka said:

It's a two-fer.

2. Excessive consumption of coffee gives you the "jitters".  Aim is affected (much like freezing/shivering, maybe not quite as dramatic), and you lose your ability to craft effectively (time penalty or refusal to craft).

Have a great day everybody!

For some reason I find myself disagreeing with the first. It's much bigger, and lets us boil more water, but I think it'd simply make loading yourself with a pile of coffee in a snap just too easy.

I 100% agree with the "jitters". Good bit of challenge which will make abusing coffee still viable, but more risky instead of just an undeniably good way to get through stuff.

Also, maybe the jitters could make sleeping harder? I'll explain. In Kingdom Come: Deliverance, a very cool detail I noticed is you character's fatigue would still drain like they were awake for 1 or 2 hours (can't remember which), and then begin filling up again. I realized that was Henry not falling asleep yet, and not a bug. That made teensy naps to infinitely stay above the "tired" status and all its drawbacks not possible. Now, I think powernapping is an essential, essential part of TLD, but having the jitters cause that, maybe 3 hours before you fall asleep and begin recovering, and having it drain you at the "passing time" rate would be good.

• Upvote 1

From personal experience I only have issues when the only thing on my stomach is the caffeine source... 

That being said, what if caffeine jitters was a feature in the game comparable to cabin fever or hypothermia. Depending on the circumstances, your risk factor goes up the more coffee you drink and drinking coffee on an empty stomach would be riskier. Perhaps adding condensed milk would decrease the risk...

Add in some sort of badge or feat connected to coffee consumption and it would be something of a challenge to use coffee appropriately.

On 7/14/2020 at 6:00 AM, Ape88 said:

Add in some sort of badge or feat connected to coffee consumption and it would be something of a challenge to use coffee appropriately.

But there is one already: "Straight To The Heart: Use or consume 250 Coffee, Energy Drinks or Emergency Stims - The effects of Coffee, Energy Drinks, and Emergency Stims last 25% longer"

On 7/16/2020 at 3:15 AM, SirSharper said:

I like this idea. Drinking too much coffee during the day causing a status effect that is opposite of drinking herbal tea would be a decent addition. 

Sounds good. But if it was a literal opposite that would just mean less condition gained from sleep, if I'm remembering correctly. Is that what you had in mind? 

On 7/15/2020 at 2:33 AM, Moilanen said:

But there is one already: "Straight To The Heart: Use or consume 250 Coffee, Energy Drinks or Emergency Stims - The effects of Coffee, Energy Drinks, and Emergency Stims last 25% longer"

Yeah but... I'm not quite sure it really is best to have them all lumped together.

I don't have much time to elaborate today... so I will just try to briefly sum up my view on the topic:

I think it's good as is, and I kind of feel like those afflictions (both positive and negative) would approaching the threshold of wanting to add things just for the sake of adding more things.  I just don't think the particular features discussed would add value to the game at all, and based on that I just don't think they'd be a necessary addition.

:coffee::fire:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...