v.197, v.198 & v.199 Hotfix Now Live

Raphael van Lierop

• Hinterland

HOTFIX: v.197 & v.198 -- Optimization, Bug Fixes

Hello,

We have just updated The Long Dark Sandbox to v.198, to fix some bugs and make some additional optimization improvements.

THE LONG DARK SANDBOX v.197 -- CHANGELIST

* Fix issue with Wolf spawn region population control in Coastal Highway.

THE LONG DARK SANDBOX v.198 -- CHANGELIST

* Reduced memory usage when transitioning between outdoor scenes (to address out of memory crash for some people running 32 bit Windows)

* Blood trails persist longer so players can effectively track bleeding wildlife

* Wildlife can now lose the player’s scent if wind changes or if player gets far enough away

* Don't close the inventory interface after eating, drinking or using first aid items

* Fixed issue with being able to use a partially crafted bedroll

* Fixed issue with footstep audio not respecting the global sound volume setting

* Fixed incorrect time of day lighting during time lapse activities such as crafting

THE LONG DARK SANDBOX v.199 -- CHANGELIST

* fixed inspection mode issue introduced in v.198

###END OF CHANGELIST###

I'm still missing my in-game graphics. Still can't see how cold, hungry, thirsty, tired, etc. Was working fine until upgrade .196. I have not changed any settings or hardware. Everything is turned "on" on the display. Love the game, but can't survive without knowing where I stand.

Fixed issue with footstep audio not respecting the global sound volume setting

This was the one that made my day and saved my ears! ;)

... and have to say, this game has a strong sense of "going forward". There are many games in Alpha stage that looks like they have been forgotten by they developers and won't get updates in months. TLD is not one of those. This seems to be getting somewhere and I really like the direction its heading. TLD has been my "thebestgame" for quite some time now and keeps getting better :)

-Hyssch-

I still cannot enter pleasant valley from coastal highway without the game crashing on the loading screen. I have tried setting the graphics to 'low' and putting the game in a 640 x 480 window bet that's no good. :? I am very grateful though that you are very fast on bringing updates, thank you. :D

tld.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)

in module tld.exe at 001b:002351f8.

Error occurred at 2015-02-14_023600.

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld.exe, run by Jack.

86% memory in use.

1024 MB physical memory [422 MB free].

2048 MB paging file [1024 MB free].

2048 MB user address space [39 MB free].

Write to location 00000001 caused an access violation.

Starving to death in the land of not-so-plenty, invincible tag-team wolves and what the HUD?

So my wife (whom I bought the game for originally), has moved into Pleasant Valley - and is starving to death! She can't get close enough to any game to shoot it, and when she does, they don't die and they don't bleed. Also, apparently, there are lots of rabbits but no deer? (But she can't make snares because she can't shoot anything so that she can harvest the carcass to get guts...)

So, I say, you are a lousy shot... Maybe. But I, who am slowly working toward the Valley, but am still in the Coastal Region have just shot at 4 wolves in succession (yes, I escape and reload the saved game and then go back and try again). Back

on revision <=1.93, with the wolf dead centre in the the sights it would either drop dead or run off yelping and bleeding. This time.... 3/4, no blood, no yelp and it just keeps coming... Not so fun. Last time, 1/4, really really d*mn close it finally acknowledged the gunshot and ran off (with blood). So... Ok, maybe I'm a lousy shot too... but 1/4 ?? I was not doing that bad in <= 193.

Tag team wolves. A lot more wolves showing up in pairs. Yes, in real life there are wolf packs but they also don't hunt humans... So if you want them to be realistic and hunt in packs then they should not hunt me :-) I rather you be unrealistic and send them at me one at a time...

HUD - so perhaps something is not working for me. With HUD normal I see nothing different on the screen. I have been pretty careful for the last bit so no random attacks that left me crawling back to safety... So is the HUD supposed to be

showing my health and other stats? That would be nice... but it has never shown that for me since I started playing. MInd you, I was playing with the debug mode as soon as I found it because I understand coordinates a lot better than I understand white with black bits on the screen :-) But you've turned that off now... Anyway, if the HUD would show my stats while I"m moving around that would be great. If it is supposed to then something is not working for me...

And, being your one and only 32bit OS user, so far at least, no crashes so maybe the memory leak issue is fixed :-)

Thanks! I do appreciate the work you are putting in on the game. Would not be playing it otherwise!

• Hinterland
Starving to death in the land of not-so-plenty, invincible tag-team wolves and what the HUD?

So my wife (whom I bought the game for originally), has moved into Pleasant Valley - and is starving to death! She can't get close enough to any game to shoot it, and when she does, they don't die and they don't bleed. Also, apparently, there are lots of rabbits but no deer? (But she can't make snares because she can't shoot anything so that she can harvest the carcass to get guts...)

So, I say, you are a lousy shot... Maybe. But I, who am slowly working toward the Valley, but am still in the Coastal Region have just shot at 4 wolves in succession (yes, I escape and reload the saved game and then go back and try again). Back

on revision <=1.93, with the wolf dead centre in the the sights it would either drop dead or run off yelping and bleeding. This time.... 3/4, no blood, no yelp and it just keeps coming... Not so fun. Last time, 1/4, really really d*mn close it finally acknowledged the gunshot and ran off (with blood). So... Ok, maybe I'm a lousy shot too... but 1/4 ?? I was not doing that bad in <= 193.

Tag team wolves. A lot more wolves showing up in pairs. Yes, in real life there are wolf packs but they also don't hunt humans... So if you want them to be realistic and hunt in packs then they should not hunt me :-) I rather you be unrealistic and send them at me one at a time...

HUD - so perhaps something is not working for me. With HUD normal I see nothing different on the screen. I have been pretty careful for the last bit so no random attacks that left me crawling back to safety... So is the HUD supposed to be

showing my health and other stats? That would be nice... but it has never shown that for me since I started playing. MInd you, I was playing with the debug mode as soon as I found it because I understand coordinates a lot better than I understand white with black bits on the screen :-) But you've turned that off now... Anyway, if the HUD would show my stats while I"m moving around that would be great. If it is supposed to then something is not working for me...

And, being your one and only 32bit OS user, so far at least, no crashes so maybe the memory leak issue is fixed :-)

Thanks! I do appreciate the work you are putting in on the game. Would not be playing it otherwise!

The HUD prompts you when you move through the various stats of Hunger, Cold, etc. and when your Calories hit certain thresholds. Other than that, you need to go to the Survival Panel (TAB) to to get more information.

I still cannot enter pleasant valley from coastal highway without the game crashing on the loading screen. I have tried setting the graphics to 'low' and putting the game in a 640 x 480 window bet that's no good. :? I am very grateful though that you are very fast on bringing updates, thank you. :D

86% memory in use.

You have nowhere near enough memory to play that map. Post your system specs and i'll reply with a link to where you can buy a RAM upgrade online in the UK, overclockers.co.uk would be your best bet.

EDIT: Mate anything that is using 1Gb of RAM is probably due to be retired anyway - have you considered a new computer?

@ gatwood:

I've noticed that the rifle isn't as sure of a 1 shot kill with a wolf as it used to be - it never was with a deer in my experience.

Push the deer to the wolf, let the wolf kill the deer then run up and provoke the wolf to attack you, but do not shoot until you can smell it's stinky breath. Only ever shoot a wolf front on while it's charging and at close range. Pretty much a guaranteed kill.

I have dropped them side on from about 40m or so estimated in game but I've been shooting all my life and I probably got lucky.

If you have to shoot a deer set yourself up in cover and let the deer walk to you - aim ahead of them and when they step into the sights shoot then. Crouching seems to increase accuracy too which is logical.

I love that you guys are constantly updating and balancing the game.

But please, have you had a chance to look into the change resolution bug in Unity?

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1038

I notice this even affecting other games using the engine (Hot Tin Roof beta), it's getting to be a serious problem, and developers need to report it so they can fix it on the Unity side.

86% memory in use.

You have nowhere near enough memory to play that map. Post your system specs and i'll reply with a link to where you can buy a RAM upgrade online in the UK, overclockers.co.uk would be your best bet.

EDIT: Mate anything that is using 1Gb of RAM is probably due to be retired anyway - have you considered a new computer?

Yeah i am getting a new computer, after all this is a laptop but it also runs a lot of games very smoothly, Skyrim modded, fallout modded, dayz.. etc, also with high graphic settings so its a good little laptop for gaming. going to buying a medium range gaming PC I reckon. :)

• Hinterland
@ gatwood:

I've noticed that the rifle isn't as sure of a 1 shot kill with a wolf as it used to be - it never was with a deer in my experience.

Push the deer to the wolf, let the wolf kill the deer then run up and provoke the wolf to attack you, but do not shoot until you can smell it's stinky breath. Only ever shoot a wolf front on while it's charging and at close range. Pretty much a guaranteed kill.

I have dropped them side on from about 40m or so estimated in game but I've been shooting all my life and I probably got lucky.

If you have to shoot a deer set yourself up in cover and let the deer walk to you - aim ahead of them and when they step into the sights shoot then. Crouching seems to increase accuracy too which is logical.

Wolves haven't been a one-shot kill for a while now. We added hit areas, which means damage is determined by where you hit. All wildlife have this now.

"HUD - so perhaps something is not working for me. With HUD normal I see nothing different on the screen. I have been pretty careful for the last bit so no random attacks that left me crawling back to safety... So is the HUD supposed to be showing my health and other stats? "

I'm having the same problem, but my HUD worked fine until about upgrade v.196 and then it disappeared. Tried playing a few times without it, but only lasted about 9 hours. First time with the HUD I lasted for 26 days before I died.

Game not as playable as it was, but, hey, these guys are really great about fixing bugs. So maybe they will correct this one for us.

@ gatwood:

Wolves haven't been a one-shot kill for a while now. We added hit areas, which means damage is determined by where you hit. All wildlife have this now.

Yeah I surmised that you hat hit boxes with varying damage but I wasn't about to waste precious ammo testing the theory by shooting for the backside haha

As you already know, as some other players, even with v.199, my game quit to desktop each time I try to travel to Pleasant Valley ...

Is it any chance to see Pleasant Valley soon ? I mean are you close to a solution, what the statut of this bug ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback :)

I've just removed "The Long Dark" from my harddisk after playing >230h ... it's just not usable on my mac and playing "the mystery lake" get's boring over time. Will probably give it a try again when it becomes final. Maybe the mac issues are fixed until then ... but currently i do not have the impression, that they care much about their mac users ...

I'm having the same problem, but my HUD worked fine until about upgrade v.196 and then it disappeared. Tried playing a few times without it, but only lasted about 9 hours. First time with the HUD I lasted for 26 days before I died.

Game not as playable as it was, but, hey, these guys are really great about fixing bugs. So maybe they will correct this one for us.

In v.196 the debug HUD option was removed. Were you possibly using the debug option before v.196? Maybe something went wrong with the removal of the option.

Something you could try: go to options, change the HUD setting to "None". Go back to the main menu. Enter the options menu again and set the HUD to "Normal". Resetting the HUD option this way may reactivate the normal setting properly.

Oh, one thing I forgot to ask for in upcoming revisions is the ability to harvest the fuel from storm lanterns when retiring them. At present I think you lose the fuel in the lamp. Cheers.

If you have a jerry can with enough space in your inventory, the fuel will go into the jerry can. If you don't have a jerry can in you inventory, the fuel will be lost.

Have tried resetting HUD, with no luck. I even uninstalled the game and re-installed it. Still no luck with the HUD. Besides not being able to see the HUD I cannot see the options on the start screen when choosing a game level, picking male or female, or where on the map I want to start at. It may just be my graphics card not being able to keep up, but the rest of the game graphics are fine. During the last few upgrades did you tweak the video? Just trying to get back to a great game and not being able to tell if you are cold, hungry, thirsty (until it's too late) is a bit frustrating. Thanks for your efforts on this problem in advance.

Archived