Let's talk about maple syrup

J80H

1 minute ago, RossBondReturns said:

You know what I think you're right...I found mine behind the toaster I believe...won't know for sure till I edit my footage.

Just found my 3rd in my only WE sandbox in the pantry at Paradise Meadows Farm.

I heard MT has a few guaranteed spawns as well so it's a good place to look for syrups.

There is a guaranteed spawns for syrup in BR inside the hunting lodge. 5 places where it can be or sometimes you can even get two if you are lucky:

-Right side of the fireplace on top of it
- Next to the one of the big columns in the middle of the room
- Inside a backback near the backdoor on the right side
- Right side of the stove inside a crate.
- Down on the shelf far right side.

There are some chips in the maintenance shed in BR too if you also need them. 0-2 bags can be found from the inside office.

So basically just need to spam new games on BR to get that achievement if you don't want to play the whole month for that badge. Even like this one bottle takes like 10-12 minutes  so you get hungry enough to drink it and stay alive from the cold. 10 minutes x 25 =  250 minutes of really boring gaming. Can't even think how many hours it would take to play multiple normal games and even then you would need some luck to get all 25 bottles if you don't want to play 247.

Edited by Moilanen
  • Upvote 1

The thing is they should've made maple syrup slightly harder to find but still common enough to make it possible for players to get the badge in one run after looting majority of Great Bear.

If people have to do 2-3 long runs just to find 25 in normal game play, most of them are just going to scum start to get a badge that doesn't add any benefits other than just for prestige. It's just too time consuming and not everyone is that free irl to play the game 24/7.

Edited by gotmilkanot
  • Like 4

I think the point of the maple syrup is to keep you moving in the frigid temps. Explore obviously hotspots around all of the maps. Collect hides, put them indoors, gather supplies, store them in little bases. keep moving. you can get around the maps fairly quickly if you move. I feel a lot of people get stuck wanting to collect materials and wait, which  i think defeats the purpose of this event. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SirSharper said:

I think the point of the maple syrup is to keep you moving in the frigid temps. Explore obviously hotspots around all of the maps. Collect hides, put them indoors, gather supplies, store them in little bases. keep moving. you can get around the maps fairly quickly if you move. I feel a lot of people get stuck wanting to collect materials and wait, which  i think defeats the purpose of this event. 

Yeah, if every region contained 2-3 bottles it would be nice to do the run that way. Right now you might find 1-2 bottles per big region (some seem to have 0 if I'm right because some of those spawns seem to be totally random), if you are lucky, but there is still only 10 regions and I believe that the transition regions don't contain any. So it's really time consuming and impossible to get in 1 game. I think it could take 3-4 long games to get to 25. I didn't find any bottles in my long game in two big main regions ML and CH. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Moilanen said:

Yeah, if every region contained 2-3 bottles it would be nice to do the run that way. Right now you might find 1-2 bottles per big region (some seem to have 0 if I'm right because some of those spawns seem to be totally random), if you are lucky, but there is still only 10 regions and I believe that the transition regions don't contain any. So it's really time consuming and impossible to get in 1 game. I think it could take 3-4 long games to get to 25. I didn't find any bottles in my long game in two big main regions ML and CH. 

Exactly this. What's the point of spending tens of hours playing 3-4 long games to get 25 when you can do it in about an hour with scum starting 20+ saves. And to me, making 3-4 long games is no different from scum starting as you're still making multiple saves in the end.

Edited by gotmilkanot

Yep, got it too 4.5h ago, immediately switched game. That, getting drunk on a Thursday, and beating my Among Trees speedrun record, helped my mood :) cheesed 5 syrups just to have it over with.2ndbadge-720.thumb.png.bee02f78708e7e637f2708d87221ee23.png

Edited by Gun Tech.

1 hour ago, StandardFare said:

How do you know that one is guaranteed? Can anyone confirm this?

Yeah, pretty much confirmed.  Spawns in three possible places in the farmhouse.  By the toaster, on either side of it, in the cupboard with the partially open door and under the table next to the stove.   

• Upvote 1

I remember when this post first went up; I was thinking: "It seems awfully early to be complaining about maple syrup spawns."  

I'm on run #3, going with a "RUN & GUN" style play, and I am having little issue finding Maple syrup now. 

For those of you having trouble, Pleasant Valley Region spawned 4 bottles, and anyone going for the summit on TM, dont forget to check on the bottom level of the plane. 

Honestly, Rush for the hot spots, check thoroughly, run to the next hot spot. repeat. Easy Breezy. 

3 hours ago, SirSharper said:

For those of you having trouble, Pleasant Valley Region spawned 4 bottles

I actually got 5 once in PV.  Found one in the PV outbuildings between the town hall and the farmstead.  then found 4 in the farmhouse.  One in the usual spot by the toaster, one in a kitchen cabinet.  One in the backpack  on the bench by the bathroom and one actually in the refrigerator!  Never ever happened again.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, SirSharper said:

I remember when this post first went up; I was thinking: "It seems awfully early to be complaining about maple syrup spawns."  

If the internet has taught me anything, it's that it's never too early too complain.  :)

• Like 3

I have absolutely scoured these maps (Mountain Town, Mystery Lake, Broken Railroad, Ravine, and Bleak Inlet) and have so far only found 8 maple syrups in a single run. When I say scour I mean every cave, dead body, building ect any place of interest. So unless I find about 10 in Pleasant Valley the average isn't very good haha.

SPOILER ALERT:
Bleak Inlet -> (1) in one of the lockers in the wolfy cannery factory
Broken Railroad -> (2) one in the Hunting Lodge and another down into the ravine on dead body

Mystery Lake -> (2) Trappers Homestead in backpack (I haven't looted the Dam yet, I find it so long and tedious) and Abandoned Lookout on the dead body

Forlorn Muskeg -> (1) The marsh ridge on the dead body (sneaky!)

Mountain Town -> (1) Milton House on the pantry in the shelves out in open

Ravine -> (1) Dead body at the bottom of the ravine by the rope

I only partially looked in Forlorn Muskeg and Coastal Highway thus far; I'm currently in Desolation Point and nothing... so I guess we'll see how it goes.

Edited by krystlebear

3 hours ago, krystlebear said:

I have absolutely scoured these maps (Mountain Town, . . .

Alas, your scouring wasn't all that absolute. 

I have found five syrups in Mountain Town and I haven't finished looking around MT yet.  (I am playing on the PV start game which is advanced.)  I haven't found many in the other areas that I have visited, but in those areas I was more concerned about surviving the cold than looking for syrup.  I have survived 189 days and probably found a total of around 10 syrups.

I now wish that I had saved the image when I found the syrup, although I don't like spoiling the challenge for others.

On 7/3/2020 at 9:26 PM, peteloud said:

What does that mean in English?

It’s a way of achieving something by taking advantage of an existing game feature. In this case, getting the badge by relaunching the same saved game several times and drinking the same syrup(s) again and again. It’s a bit tedious but not as time consuming as launching different saves or playing multiple long runs.

On 7/6/2020 at 2:48 PM, SirSharper said:

Easy Breezy. 

This was likely from players having early spent 20+ solid hours on an ill-conceived, boring, repetitive, unchallenging challenge. We can't help it if you read the thread when the challenge was old, or play casually at a snail's pace of 4h/day.

No more like this, Hinterland. Please. It turns people who love the game off it. Because doing the same easy thing over and over and over for 50-100h IS. NOT. FUN. Assign someone to be gamedesigner QA. Make challenges with variation. Make challenges that are challenges. If you're out of ideas, ask the community.

I've not spent a single hour in the game since July 2.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Gun Tech. said:

No more like this, Hinterland. Please. It turns people who love the game off it. Because doing the same easy thing over and over and over for 50-100h IS. NOT. FUN.

I started an advanced game in PV.  The first 25 days were not much fun because it was very, cold with lots of blizzards and I had low quality clothes, and negligible resources and weapons.  It was a struggle to survive.  But that is the nature of TLD, any TLD game, if you play at Voyager or above.  By Day 60 it became a bit easier as my resources improved. Now as I approach 200 days and have a bearskin coat, Moose backpack and a few level 5 skills the game is much easier and in many ways more fun/enjoyable.

I find it a drag to have to go through every drawer and cupboard in every building looking for syrup and even after 190 days have probably less than half of the 25 syrups.   From now on, it is a long slog checking out every possible syrup place in every area, but there again, that is the nature of TLD.  In many ways that makes it an interesting challenge as players are forced to explore all areas of the map in bad weather.  I am not sure if I can be bothered to try and collect 25 syrups,  but at this point the game is very little different to the other games that I have played.  It is harder from the weather point of view but easier from there being fewer wolves.

2 hours ago, Gun Tech. said:

This was likely from players having early spent 20+ solid hours on an ill-conceived, boring, repetitive, unchallenging challenge. We can't help it if you read the thread when the challenge was old, or play casually at a snail's pace of 4h/day.

No more like this, Hinterland. Please. It turns people who love the game off it. Because doing the same easy thing over and over and over for 50-100h IS. NOT. FUN. Assign someone to be gamedesigner QA. Make challenges with variation. Make challenges that are challenges. If you're out of ideas, ask the community.

You assume I haven't played A LOT.  So speaking for anyone who enjoys the challenge, "We can't help it if you find a new game mode or challenge, BORING". We are both entitled to our opinion. 
Did you get the badges? If not, why not change your play style up a bit and experience the game a different way. If so, then your done, good job. 

4 hours ago, Gun Tech. said:

No more like this, Hinterland. Please. It turns people who love the game off it. Because doing the same easy thing over and over and over for 50-100h IS. NOT. FUN.

It may not be fun for you... it may turn you off of the game.  However, it seems like you are trying to speak on behalf of other people too; and I don't think that's right.

Folks who don't like this kind of event, can just choose not  to play it.

I don't think it's right for folks to try and take these events away from the those of us who do like them.

:coffee::fire:

4 hours ago, Gun Tech. said:

That's your choice... you could have just played another challenge, or a survival run, or have another go at the story mode... Nobody is required to participate in the event.  :D

It's like anything as a consumer... if you don't like it, don't do it... but please don't try to take it away from other people.
I think that's just bad form.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3