Temperature drop doesn't change anything?

odizzido

Does anyone find the temperature drop to change anything for them at all?

I thought this might be interesting but after playing some I found, compared to my usual settings, that the cold was less of a threat than I am used to. Here is why

The indoor temp drop of 10 degrees isn't enough to change anything. With a few minor items, indoor temps feel above freezing and aren't an issue.

You just regenerate any life lost to the cold overnight anyways. Sure you might lose 30% of your life harvesting that animal but when you can just sleep that back overnight it's nothing. I even went down to about 20% life and got hypothermia but I was back to full life and completely fine in around a day and a half. Since you have to sleep 10+ hours a day anyways this hardly has any effect at all.

I am used to playing with sleep regen off and minimum awake regen. If I lose 30% of my life to cold in those games it takes days to recover so the cold ends up being far more deadly despite it being 10 degrees higher. I know I am probably atypical here but that's my experience.

I still think it would be interesting to have outdoor temperatures have an effect on indoor temps. I think you would need to add waking up when it's cold though, otherwise people will be "forced" to sleep in one hour chunks which is just tedious.

Other than houses and MAIN caves, "indoors" still is below freezing for my character. (caves / vehicles, ice huts) I still havent found all of my normal attire though. So maybe after i get my character decked out in GREAT clothing, she'll be warm. 

The chalenge for me has not been the temp.drop. But to lear out of my old habbits - it took me 25 in-game-days to re-learn that wolf and bear meat does NOT cause  Intestinal parasites, although my cooking is not yet level 5. I've been playing way too long on stalker mode.

Edited by Niskavuori

Yeah. I was hoping that the devs would have chose -10 because that was the temperature where something changed and it would offer a different style of play. I guess 10 was just a round number. Oh well, a lot of people seem to like it so that's good.

I think what you're experiencing here is the developer working to balance the event for both neophyte and veteran players. A new player to the game will be freezing to death over and over again playing this if it was not possible to turn safe houses back into safe houses after finding a reasonable amount of clothing. Let's not forget that a large part of any events like this is as a way of attracting new people to the game; if the event then turns around and endlessly slays legions of hapless newbs it's not going to work to expand the community.

ETA: simply put, for you who's got time in and reasonable map knowledge etc... it's not that big a deal. For someone new to the game, it almost certainly is a very big deal.

Edited by stratvox
clarification

Seems like Voyager (lots of loot, few wolves, plentiful game animals) with Interloper weather.  The first challenge of IL is the lack of gear, so having all that gear available in this challenge makes the cold a trivial obstacle.