Sign in to follow this  
sonics01

Idea for mental afflictions

Posted (edited)

This is just brainstorming attempt, numbers and contents in this posts are purely came from my imagination. So I welcome any other idea or suggestions. I tried to make this list as realistic & reasonable as possible and tried to related mental conditions with what we call "traumatic" events. I'm not a health provider neither a medical expert, but I talked with some people who were suffering PTSD. This should balance the late stage of survival mode and should give additional challenges to players. 

1) Claustrophobia 

In official terms, claustrophobia is the fear of confined spaces, and cabin fever is included in claustrophobia. In this game, cabin fever is criticized due to unrealistic triggering conditions, and it really looks silly at current status. So I tried to touch this one. 

Condition: First, we need to carefully define what would be the "confined place" in this game. I would suggest any types of cave, inside any vehicles, and any very small buildings within specific volume/size. If a character suffers any kind of damage and experienced below 50% health due to any reason inside the "confined place", or if the character is trapped inside the "confined place" for more than 3 days, then let the claustrophobia kicks in. Let it chance-based, but with a good chance.  

Symptom: Once claustrophobia kicks in, the player cannot get into such a "confined place".  Or, let the player can get in the "confined place", but cannot sleep or past time, and cannot concentrate on any activity due to anxiety. 

Heal: Stay and sleep outside of "confined place" for more than 48 hrs. 

2) Wolfphobia or Lupophobia

Fear of wolves!! The life-threatening experience related to the wolf negatively influences the character, with anxiety. 

Condition: If character health reached below 50% after a struggle with a wolf, then let the wolf phobia kicks in based on some chance. 

Symptoms: 

a) Aim hardness: character cannot correctly aims to wolf, any gun or arrow, experiencing good degree of hand-shaking. Let the aim stamina circle always begins with red if a character have wolf phobia and aiming a wolf. 

b) Hallucinations-wolf sound: character continuously hear the howling or grrr sound of wolf and wolf footstep noise even though there are no wolves around the character. 

c) Hallucinations-fake wolf: character sees wolf slowly following him or watching him from distance behind the hill or beside the wall, but fade away or walks away if the character watches more than 5 seconds. It is a fake imaginary wolf that only exists in the character's head, so it cannot be hurt or interact with other objects. 

d) Visions: (Only if when the degree of fear is serious: If the character's wolf phobia is not cured but experiences the condition to initiate wolf phobia once again) character suddenly experience the wolf jumps to him or her, even in the building or anyplace, without any precautions. But once the character engages the struggle, the wolf soon fade away. Yes, the wolf is a lie! 

Heal: Kills more than 50+ wolves without experiencing any struggle against a wolf. 

You can make bear phobia and moose phobia in a similar fashion. For the bear phobia, introduce a higher chance to kicks in than wolf phobia, and heal the condition of 20+ bear kills might be proper. For moose phobia, introduce a higher chance to kicks in than bear phobia, and let's introduce 10+ moose kills to heal.  

3) OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) 
Condition: If the character's health reached below 20% for any reason, introduce a very small chance of having OCD. Life-threatening experience makes the character to adhere to silly stupid behavior, something like superstition, which he ore she belives brings a bit of good luck and save his or her life. 

Symptoms: 

a) Adhere to 'lucky' object: The character must carry one specific item in the backpack and cannot remove the item for any condition until OCD is healed. 

b) Carry all countable objects in 3 numbers: The character must carry some types of items in number of multiple of 3. 3,6,9,12... number of bullets, rocks, coals, and etc. 

c) character need to repair something or clean the gun every 2 hours. 

d) character need to pick something every 30 minutes, anything is fine. 

These are just examples, there should be a better idea. 

Heal: No direct way to heal this. Just survive, but introduce the random time duration between 2 weeks ~ 6 weeks. But I welcome any other better idea. 

4) Attention Deficit Disorder or ADHD, or concentration disorder.

Condition: If the character's health reached below 20% for any reason, introduce a very small chance of having ADHD. Life-threatening experience makes the character falls in a continuous loop of negative emotion and continuous anxiety. As a result, he or she cannot concentrate to something at all. 

Symptoms: 

a) The character cannot read at all. 

b) Higher chance of failure of repair or mend or any activity which requires continuous attention more than 15 minutes, regardless of skill level. 

c) Aim penalty to guns and bows. 

d) Cannot sleep fully. Continuously wakes during sleep after a random time. Cannot go back to sleep for an hour. 

These are just examples, there should be a better idea. 

Heal: No direct way to heal this. Just survive, but introduce the random time duration between 2 weeks ~ 6 weeks. But I welcome any other better idea. 

5) Depression
Condition: If the character reached level 5 skill level for 6 or more skills, and if the character health is 100% for 5 days consecutive, and if the character experienced an average "feels like" temperature above 0 for 3 days consecutive, then introduce depression with a very small chance. The character gets bored with too easy and too comfortable surroundings. 

Symptoms: 
a) The character cannot read or stops reading very frequently. 

b) Cannot sleep fully. Continuously wakes during sleep after a random time. Cannot go back to sleep for an hour. 

c) Cannot eat fully. Eats very small calorie and stop eating. Then, refuse to it further at least for an hour. 

d) Heal bonus of sleep reduces.

Heal: Continuous hunting and fishing to relieve stress, the character need to kill N number of fish or animals within specific amount of time, every day until Depression is gone. And should spend 72 hr outside of "confined space"

There should be more idea. I also thought of OCD related to washing and hygiene, but there are no related mechanics in TLD so... 

Edited by sonics01

You mentioned wolf sounds hallucinations. I think it might be cool that instead of just hearing sounds that aren't there that some sounds could actually be replaced. So for example instead of random growls our character would hear sounds that are similar to wolves when the wind is blowing in the trees.

I do have issue with the OCD/ADHD things though. As far as I know people don't just become those things. I also have other issues with other things.

However I do think it's an interesting topic to explore. I think in general I would like to have things be a little more subtle than what you suggest.

On 6/29/2020 at 11:52 PM, odizzido said:

You mentioned wolf sounds hallucinations. I think it might be cool that instead of just hearing sounds that aren't there that some sounds could actually be replaced. So for example instead of random growls our character would hear sounds that are similar to wolves when the wind is blowing in the trees.

I do have issue with the OCD/ADHD things though. As far as I know people don't just become those things. I also have other issues with other things.

However I do think it's an interesting topic to explore. I think in general I would like to have things be a little more subtle than what you suggest.

Wouldn't it be cool? "I see dead wolves" And I'm sure such hallucination is very possible and reasonable outcome after such traumatic events. 

Regarding other mental conditions, you are probably right, and the exact reasons behind the beginning of OCD or ADHD is still not 100% clear. But in this case, I'm just suggesting as a brainstorm effort, try to make a reasonable cause of these in TLD world. I know these are not 100% correct. 

Posted (edited)

I have another idea

6) Concussion + Forgetfulness 

Let's be honest people. Who use climbing rope when you need to go down the mountain or hill in TLD? Everyone in TLD just sit down and stick to the wall and literally become a mountain goat. Isn't it? Am I wrong? Honestly, who use climbing ropes when you come down from Mt. Timberwolf? I think devs know about such "mountain goat" players, but it seems that it is not an easy problem to solve. 

To prevent/balance such "mountain goat" exploiting meta, let's introduce concussion + forgetfulness in this game as a physical and mental affliction. Let's assume, that if players get injured their wrist or ankle in the mountain especially when the player attempt "mountain goat" when climbing down the steep terrain, they also received the head injury, which brings concussion based on random chance. Steeper the cliff/hill, more chance of concussion. And, let this concussion brings forgetfulness to players for some amount of time. This way, players need to take a huge risk when they attempt "mountain goating" from the top of the mountain or cliff. 

To prevent too widespread concussion and forgetfulness, I think it would be better to limit the region to induce a chance of such head trauma. Like, the famous "mountain goat" region in Mt. Timberwolf, and other steep cliffs where players are supposed to go down the hill/cliff using ropes. It would be better to leave the normal hill or very localized terrains with steepness out from concussion and forgetfulness. Because this can be annoying. 

All times in these posts are in-game time, not real-time. 

Symptom

A. Concussion

1) Bleeding from the head. 

- Same with other bleeding. Requires bandage to heal.

2) Loss of sense of balance/spatial orientation

- Stagger, and slight loss of control (The same effect when player condition almost reaches to 0 and about to die. )

- Blur around the screen.  

- This lasts for 5~15 minutes after head injury. There's no way to heal. Just sit down and get rest. 

3) Headache

- Randomly appears for the next 2~4 days after head injury/trauma.

- Reduce concentration = increase the chance of failure of craft, repair, read, and any activity requires concentration under the influence of headache. 

- Very annoying = slow healing rate during sleep and during normal. 

- Random wake up during sleep. 

- Requires painkiller or rosehip tea to remove symptoms. But headache will continuously reappear for the next 2~4 days in random fashion. 

B. Forgetfulness 
Now headache is over, but the player would still suffering from traumatic damage to his or her brain. For next random 2~6 weeks, the player suffers from forgetfulness.
- After the player finishes their meal and move, there's a small chance to drop one random item in the backpack, during any random moment of the first 2 minutes after they finished the meal. 
- After the player wakes up, there's a small chance to drop one random item in the backpack, during any moment of first 2 minutes after they wake up. 
You forget something? You better go back to your route to check~! 

I will add more if I can think more. 

Edited by sonics01