Admin

Will You Survive WINTER’S EMBRACE?

27 minutes ago, Puddy said:

i would have loved if you had place 25 maple syrups and only 25 maple syrups in the world and i had to find them all on one save  

I wouldn't mind that either just so long as they weren't sadistic about how they hide them.  Like how Lost Cairn 160 exists in an area you can't normally access, and requires deliberately exploiting the infinite friction and mountain-goating your way across near-sheer drops to reach.

16 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

I wouldn't mind that either just so long as they weren't sadistic about how they hide them.  Like how Lost Cairn 160 exists in an area you can't normally access, and requires deliberately exploiting the infinite friction and mountain-goating your way across near-sheer drops to reach.

Oh don't even get me started on the Cairns....that should be an achievement, or at the very least a badge!  :D

Didn't they fix the cairns though?  I know i got them all minus one on  a run way back but it was because one was duplicated and one was missing.  They fixed that, so did they not fix the hard to get to ones.  I don't remember an inaccessible one.  Unless you mean the one near carter dam, hard to get to but not impossible.

And as far as the syrup goes, i wouldn't have minded sadistic.  It's more sadistic to me to make them not all accessible in one save ha.  Now i'm gonna have to save scum....unless all custom runs count too.  I hope so but i'd love to know for sure  :) 

Edit:  I've just had a really sadistic thought!  The Cairns should be a challenge...but with sprains chance set really high haha

Edited by Puddy

1 hour ago, Puddy said:

Unless you mean the one near carter dam, hard to get to but not impossible.

That's the one I'm talking about.  It's not impossible at all, it's just in a place that no one would ever have any reason to go, even if they were exploring every distant corner.  It requires that someone actively exploit the absolute friction of sloped surfaces to access an area that no normal person could ever get to unassisted in reality.  I'm OK with obscure hidden details, but requiring that someone exploit a thing that they actively attempt to discourage exploiting (considering how they frequently alter terrain to make such tricks impossible), that crosses a line.

3 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

That's the one I'm talking about.  It's not impossible at all, it's just in a place that no one would ever have any reason to go, even if they were exploring every distant corner.  It requires that someone actively exploit the absolute friction of sloped surfaces to access an area that no normal person could ever get to unassisted in reality.  I'm OK with obscure hidden details, but requiring that someone exploit a thing that they actively attempt to discourage exploiting (considering how they frequently alter terrain to make such tricks impossible), that crosses a line.

Oh yeh for sure!  If i hadn't known you could get up there to get it, then i never would have found it, i even had to watch a video at the time to figure out how to actually get up there.  Sorry, didn't mean to sound dismissive if i did.

I had always thought that that got left up there by accident when they changed the terrain in that region maybe, before i started playing the game.  But if it was put there purposely then yeh that's a bit of a bum move.  I mean people paid money for those to be in the game...and presumably....accessible.

Having said that, i'd still prefer the maple syrups to be pre-placed in the game (but not as bad as that), than just rng.  So at least you know it could be done in one save if you looked long or hard enough  :D

On 7/2/2020 at 10:07 PM, ajb1978 said:

Well any loot I might have gotten off him was more than compensated for.  Some of the containers at the summit were doubled up, and essentially lootable twice.  If you loot the container, then tap the button just long enough for the door to open, there's another container inside the first one that can also be looted if you click fast enough.  No maple syrup to be found anywhere on TWM, but scoring two expedition parkas, snow pants, a spare wool ear wrap, and five 97% firestrikers made it worth the effort.

same here - double lootable, no sirup 
toons of MRE's

i took the "long way up" as usual and enjoyed the journey even the Blizzard thanks to my Bearcoat, Deerpants and Rabbitcloth, got only 1 Firestriker 97% but i dont want to burn down the hole Country :-)

On 7/2/2020 at 8:24 PM, peteloud said:

Whether a game is too easy or too difficult mainly depends upon the level that you are playing at. On top of that there is a considerable difference between the start of a game if one has no badges that give great benefits and has zero levels of skills compared to starting with the benefits given by badges and high levels of skills.  Of course if someone is using the mod to edit saves to give themselves ever-lasting life, unlimited carrying capacity, lots of everything, maxing out resource condition etc. then the game is very easy at all levels.

I started WE in Pleasant Valley and it was a difficult start.  I found very few resources in PV and the it was very cold. I have played TLD a great deal, so I dread to think how most players will manage to survive that start. Eventually I found an an axe, hacksaw and knife, when the game became easier, but it was very difficult getting that far.

Yes and...

Difficulty per se does not make a more enjoyable or more better game experience in my opinion, while there are some games(From Software Games, Cuphead) that are based on you feeling successful in beating them. For me it is the variance and what i could best describe as good game Design, the way game points to a task or "talks to me" and the way a have to find out what needs to be done and how. For Example you find animals bones in a Cave you immediately know this Cave is inhabited or along a Path of a Predator(Bear mostly) the danger is readable.

When I entered TWM I already adjusted my gameplay to things i would never ever do in an interloper run:
It was night and snowing at the "Wing"(first containers) and i heard a Moose, only with took my Gun. But Hey 50 rounds so I decided yeah go for it. Hit him 3 or 4 times when the Blizzards start he trampled me, But Hey i got 7 Stims lets see who's last man standing. Put 20 rounds from a far distant into him probably only one hit, got trampled again, now i started to daisy chain stims. But Oh no all that noise made the Bear from around the corner have look whats going on, so i got jumped by a Bear, a certain end on any looper run. But the Power of Stims saved me. So i was able to hit the Bear and send him into "running away" mode went after the Moose again and got trampled 3 more Times but in the end managed to take him down - completely lost orientation- What a fight, my heart was pumping while i tried to find my way to a near Cave it was Dark the Blizzard made everything look the same, my health where on the last bit, my Lantern near empty but i managed to get into a Cave aaand  i did it, Yes 300 hours of broken Rips to heal. But Hey i was alive and happy.

Edited by Neromancer