Will You Survive WINTER’S EMBRACE?

Admin

Damn, it's cold in this game and those chips are freaking salty... 

I spend half my day gathering firewood, the other half recovering from hypothermia...  At least I have two 2 liter pots already so I'm keeping pace with the need for potable water.
looks like the dev's prepped for this so I've found a shload of water purification tablets already!  

Oh the irony. I started on the Coastal Highway. Few days in and no bow, rifle or revolver. And what I can see wandering near Quonset? Yes a moose.

Anyway it is freaking cold. I wonder how it is possible those wolf rascals are not dropping from the cold on their own.

Looted Moutain Town ( all the big buildings ) and proceeded to ML, still haven't found a single bottle of syrup yet, but tons of the ketchup fries. I assume the syrup is supposed to be a rare item. Anyone else with the same experience?

49 minutes ago, Dan_ said:

Looted Moutain Town ( all the big buildings ) and proceeded to ML, still haven't found a single bottle of syrup yet, but tons of the ketchup fries. I assume the syrup is supposed to be a rare item. Anyone else with the same experience?

similar here at first, had about 10 bags of crisps before I found any syrup (then got 2 in the same place, one of which had gone bad...).

Random spawn, popped up in Milton.  Goody!  I'm on day 12 right now, I've looted the whole region and I'm currently on the fence as to whether I should grab the satchel in HRV, or move on.  The colder temps strikes me as "Interloper Light".  It's a bit of a problem day 1, but after that, no big deal.  The low wolf population is amazing.

1 minute ago, piddy3825 said:

does seem a little to quite... do you think that is intentional so that food isnt just throwing itself at our feet?  

I think it's a balance.  HL caters to the majority, not the minority that can bust out thousands of days on interloper.  By catering to the majority, it makes sense that the hostile wildlife would be dialed back, as the environmental hazards are dialed up.

6 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

I think it's a balance.  HL caters to the majority, not the minority that can bust out thousands of days on interloper.  By catering to the majority, it makes sense that the hostile wildlife would be dialed back, as the environmental hazards are dialed up.

Again good sir, that is why you are the Master and I your Padawan.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dan_ said:

I have found and drank about 4 bottles of Maple syrup in the CH. Actually can you imagine drinking whole bottle of maple syrup without reflux? Bit by bit OK. But whole bottle at once?

4 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

The low wolf population is amazing.

I dont know about low population. I am day 12 or something on CH and they are shadowing me. Lucky Ketchup chips and Maple syrup is not attracting them. As I wrote. I had a moose as well.

All this Canada is terrifying to me. Ketchup...chips?? 

Anyway, I was wondering what game level this is most comparable to? Food is average, starting clothes are frostbite-proof (a very rare treat) but firestarting kit is a little lackluster. Also, wildlife?

Finally, I think this should be moved to challenges after the event, it's a nice, simple game mode I think could be cool to play afterward.

Cheers! Thanks for the update ^^

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Lumi said:

All this Canada is terrifying to me. Ketchup...chips?? 

I have been to Canada once (only Niagara falls border) and one thing made a not erasable impression appart from the waterfall. Have you tried to eat poutin? French fries with gravy and fat cheese? My gallbladder wanted to go up and sew my mouth to stop me ingest another bite (and I am an healthy person with no digestive problem at all). I understand it is food for lumberjacks in -40°C. Why they serve it in mid of summer to tourists? IOne full portion in mid day and I had to skip the dinner. But it is strangelly addictive. Every day I was there I had to get one (from different restaurant for science).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

drink it anyway?  see what happens?  

yep, down in one.  with predictable consequences.  Does anyone know a good way to clean maple syrup off the entire interior of a trappers cabin?  asking for a friend.

as my survivor guy said, 'this is a sticky way to die'.  At least I think that's what he said.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Started in Timberwolf Mountain, spent night at the transition cave near summit. 2nd day I looted whole tail section and I'm ready for a cold weather.

Interesting fact - some of containers in the Tail Section were bugged. I was able to loot some of the doors twice, sometimes with different effect (but in the "coffie + tea" container I got coffie + tea twice). Can someone confirm this bug?

Use to interlope so here I start with gloves, tuque, bedroll, matches, ... found riffle right away at Hunting logde, coal, prybar, hacksaw, knife, hatchett, working pants & boots, parka ... wow, luxury, abundance lol !!!!

Edited by JMK
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, JMK said:

Use to interlope so here I start with gloves, tuque, bedroll, matches, ... found riffle right away at Hunting logde, coal, prybar, hacksaw, knife, hatchett, working pants & boots, parka ... wow, luxury, abundance lol !!!!

I am happy that I did a couple runs on interloper & runs on stalker before this. I feel a little more at peace, even though i'm freezing. Managing clothing and fires & cabin fever is taking some trial and error though. 

Hi community. Tell me what happens to your saves. I lost them. When I started the event, it was saved once and then it wasn't saved. And in pause mode, the "exit" menu item was highlighted in red. Is this all a bug or is it just intended?

Not unlike 4DON I have to remind myself this isn't my usual play style.  I CAN use matches whenever I want.  I CAN afford to leave gear behind if it's not an immediate upgrade.  Got the satchel from HRV a bit ago, now I think it's time to continue the quest for maple syrup and ketchup chips.  I'm kitted out pretty well with a rifle, revolver, and flare gun, and don't foresee myself needing to really stop and gather any more supplies.  A handful of wolf encounters but no struggles.  Only had to shoot one because he kept getting in my way.  Now I can just focus on the syrup and chips!

On 6/27/2020 at 2:40 PM, Admin said:

Fixed an issue that prevented feathers from spawning on carcasses after long amounts of time have passed. 

I have a feathers problem in my Winter's Embrace playthrough, so I wanted to ask if the above fix is supposed to apply to WE too?

I started in HRV for the satchel, then moved to Barker's farm in MT to craft up some warmer clothes.  And to use the local wolf pack as a never-ending meat buffet. :D  I've killed several wolves -- crows galore, but not a single feather.  I've tried waiting until it's sunny blue skies to harvest a kill, and done walk-about to all the carcasses every time the sun comes out - multiple times per day sometimes.  Nothin'.  WAI or no?

I've since moved on to look for feathers in other zones.   The static human corpses seem to have some.

Edited by Ruruwawa

I appreciate having special events, for free and years and years after the launch. The new items and new filter (particularly Noir) are neat too. Things like these are what makes this the best survival game ever.

Having said that, I find WE way too easy. The colder temperatures are immediately compensated by the excess amount of Voyager loot. Choosing Random, I spawned in the Grey Mother Milton house and immediately got both ludicrous amount of food as well as luxury clothing items. Within 24 Hours I already had enough superior clothes to compensate for any indoor, and most of outdoor temperature, save blizzards. Granted, there is much more blizzard to be had now, but if you know the game well enough you can always dodge em, at least on the easier regions. Now I fear going after the Syrup/Ketchup badge will be bit of a chore for me, particularly as it seem the maple ones seem to be somewhat rare to find.

I think Voyager loot would have been okay if the temperatures had been lowered by 20 degrees, not just 10. I welcome the colder indoor temperatures wholeheartedly and would love to see it in the main game as well, as that would be realistic in actual winter conditions too (as someone mentioned before), but they require harder loot difficult level to really make a difference.

Edited by Mistral
  • Upvote 1