Will You Survive WINTER’S EMBRACE?

Admin

2058368897_WintersEmbrace_CoverImage_800x450.png.ffbb6d343c070596217ec7707bc96985.png

Hello players,

We’re excited to share our new month-long event in The Long Dark. Running from 10am Pacific on Monday June 29th, and lasting until July 31st at 10am PST, WINTER’S EMBRACE makes the harsh Winter environment of Great Bear Island even harsher, with:

• Average world temperature is reduced by 10 degrees Celsius
  • Interior temperatures are reduced by 10 degrees Celsius
  • More frequent, and longer-lasting Blizzards

And since Canada Day occurs during this Event (on July 1st) we’re also adding two new Canadian-themed Food items:

• Maple Syrup
  • Ketchup Chips

81544244_screen_290ed80a-ec03-4900-98de-85f13b7838d6_hi-2copy.thumb.jpg.bd2c3ca477b2507d3f475560ca619817.jpg

To celebrate your time in WINTER’S EMBRACE, we’ll unlock two badges for you if you accomplish the following tasks:

• Canadian Feast: Find and consume 25 bottles of Maple Syrup and 25 bags of Ketchup Chips across multiple saves while WINTER’S EMBRACE is active.
  • Winter in July: Survive 25 consecutive days across a single WINTER’s EMBRACE save, while the event is active.

badge_challenge_WintersEmbrace2020WinterInJuly.png.c63b05d59b8961b760792cc3069125f5.pngbadge_challenge_WintersEmbrace2020CanadianFeast.png.e9407bc003d468d78aaaa346e35f8d42.png

Please note that you don’t have to accomplish both these tasks in the same game!

As another nod to Canada Day, we’re also adding a Heritage Filter mode, inspired by old National Film Board TV and film content we grew up with in the 1970s and 1980s. This mode adds an old-school TV filter to the game world (but it does not affect the in-game user interface). And for film buffs out there, we’ve also added a Noir mode, which lets you experience The Long Dark or WINTERMUTE in a classic monochromatic filter. Both Filters can be applied from the Display settings.

Maple Syrup, Ketchup Chips, and the new view filters (Heritage & Noir) will persist in the game after WINTER’S EMBRACE ends, but you won’t be able to get the badges after July 31st at 10am PST, so we hope you’ll jump into the event and test your survival skills in the coldest The Long Dark has ever been!

To join the event, make sure you have updated the game to the latest version, and select the WINTER’S EMBRACE item from the Main Menu. If you run into any issues, please contact us at thelongdark.com/support.

1439164649_Screenshot2020-06-2911_56.05(2).thumb.png.e9454580516b59e46c98bcc95d353f3d.png

We hope you enjoy WINTER’S EMBRACE, and please feel free to share your survival stories with us in the Official Community, or on social media using the tags #thelongdark and #wintersembrace.

– The Hinterland Team

THE LONG DARK v1.79 (63945) CHANGELIST

•  Added WINTER’S EMBRACE Content & Event.

GENERAL FIXES

• [General]  Added collision to the car's hood, so the Battery can no longer be interacted with through a closed hood.

GENERAL ART FIXES

• [Enviro] Fixed various floating or clipping objects found throughout the world.
  • [Enviro] Fixed numerous areas where small chunks of rock appeared to unintentionally push through the snow.
  • [Enviro] Fixed numerous areas Players could become stuck on terrain.
  • [Enviro] Fixed issue that caused Backpacks to clip into objects they were placed against.
  • [Enviro] When spray painting the hood of a truck, the decal will no longer clip through the snow.

USER INTERFACE

• [UI] Fixed an issue that caused the Pleasant Valley’s Prepper Cache map icon to not appear on the map after discovery. 
  • [UI] Fixed an issue that caused an incorrect UI callout to appear after lighting a Match, and then opening and closing the Inventory. 
  • [UI] Fixed an issue that prevented Players from editing Rock Cache notes when using a controller. 
  • [UI] Fixed overlapping between Stamina UI and Spray Paint UI.
  • [UI] FIxed an issue that caused Mysterious Signal Fire to appear twice when viewing Surveyed Locations in the Journal. 
  • [UI] FIxed an issue that caused the Map screens help to appear too low on the screen, cutting off text. 

ALL GAME MODES

• [Gameplay] Fixed an issue that caused clothing to become wet when left in the Trailers found next to the Cannery. 
  • [Gameplay] Spray Paint Cans weight and durability now decrease at the same rate when used.
  • [Gameplay] Fixed an issue that prevented Timberwolves Pack Morale from being drained when using the Flashlight’s high beam.

WINTERMUTE

• [WINTERMUTE] Timberwolves will now react to the Flashlight when appearing in WINTERMUTE.

SURVIVAL MODE

• Fixed an issue that prevented feathers from spawning on carcasses after long amounts of time have passed. 
  • Removed duplicated polaroid found in the FM Shortwave Tower, in the Forlorn Muskeg region.

### END OF CHANGELIST ###

MainMenu_1 (1).png

• Upvote 2
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, odizzido said:

I know this won't come to GoG but that -10 degree drop and longer lasting blizzards sounds pretty interesting to play with and see how it feels.

It should be out on GoG now (PC and Linux) with the Mac version (on GoG) out later today.

9 minutes ago, odizzido said:

I know this won't come to GoG

GoG has been notably (and historically) slow at getting updates to their customers.  I'd recommend jumping onto the GoG customer support or whatever forums they have, and take it up with GoG.  Hinterland has mentioned before that they release their updates to the various platforms at roughly the same time.

:coffee::fire:
Raph has spoke about this:

On 10/18/2019 at 5:17 AM, Raphael van Lierop said:

In the past we've been blamed for delays on GOG so I try to point out that we don't have direct control on when GOG chooses to release our updates (it's the only platform where we don't have that influence). There have been some rare instances in the past where we have bundled hotfixes (when there were several in a row) to avoid accumulating delays on GOG which meant that maybe an intermediary hotfix wouldn't appear on GOG, but apart from that we have always done our best to make sure all our customers, on all platforms, have the same level of service.

As far as I have seen... it's a GoG issue, not a Hinterland issue.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac

Wohoo, took a break from work to play it for a couple minutes. I think the loot balancing is pretty good, will give a challenge for newer players and some entertainment for the grizzled veterans. Ketchup fries sound delicious (well designed packaging as well), and I'm already loving the colder inside temperatures. Can hardly wait to get to mountaineer's hut and check how much colder it is now.

Interior temperatures are reduced by 10 degrees Celsius

Oh this is cool. That would be a nice option in the standard game. With proper clothing it's basically always warm inside. At the beginning of an Interloper or Stalker game you might be a degree or two short but that's it. In reality all these places would be cold until you heat them up.

@ManicManiacLast time I actually spent the time to look into things it was hinterland that didn't release the update for over a month. You can still say it's a GoG issue, but it's also a hinterland issue. Sorry, they can sometimes not be perfect just like the rest of us mortals. But that wasn't what I meant...

I thought it wouldn't come out on GoG because the event cannot be force patched out. It's one of the reasons I like GoG. If a dev force patches in microtransactions and such I don't need to download that downgrade.

Anyways thank you for letting non-steam users try out the event :)

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, odizzido said:

But that wasn't what I meant...

Fair enough, I can't speak to your personal experience (or what GoG may have told you) and I wasn't intending to.  I was just mentioning what I have seen in terms of the frequent delays GoG seems to suffer to their customers on a large number of updates they've received in the past.

Nobody's perfect you're right, but GoG has been very consistent in their troubles with getting updates out quickly.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I don't pretend to know what goes on behind the scenes, I was just stating my observations because the subject of GoG's delays comes up very often on this forum. :D

Edited by ManicManiac

9 minutes ago, TheDevvil said:

I didn't got the badge and I consumed all the items(One save and such)

You've done these:

• Canadian Feast: Find and consume 25 bottles of Maple Syrup and 25 bags of Ketchup Chips across multiple saves while WINTER’S EMBRACE is active.
  • Winter in July: Survive 25 consecutive days across a single WINTER’s EMBRACE save, while the event is active.

To be clear since launch at 10 am (just under two hours ago) you've eaten 25 bags of Ketchup Chips and 25 bottles of Maple Syrup in a WINTER'S EMBRACE game?

Just now, Admin said:

You've done these:

To be clear since launch at 10 am (just under two hours ago) you've eaten 25 bags of Ketchup Chips and 25 bottles of Maple Syrup in a WINTER'S EMBRACE game?

TWM spawn .Nevermind got to make a second save.

26 minutes ago, dustinmico said:

Do you have to start a new save to experience event.. or will these items spawn in current save?

I'm not sure.

I do know that the added food items will stay in the game after the event is over...but since I'm exclusively playing the event I'm not sure if they're in regular sandbox games right now or not.

I love the filters un the options menu...I'm sure you can try those out in regular sandbox...they're staying around after the event as well.

1 hour ago, dustinmico said:

Do you have to start a new save to experience event

44 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

I'm not sure.

The event itself works like 4DoN (for the last two years).
It's the first thing on the main menu (even before Wintermute).

To play the event you select that option and start on a run for the event.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Visual Reference:
WE2020.jpg.cb972690e3f224a34b7cf0aca84141e9.jpg

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1