New Craftable: Barricade

Sherri

Crafted with a ton of wood & scrap metal. Damn heavy once crafted so you can't lug a bunch around.

A 2m (3 foot) section of fence that will stop animals from crossing.

Can be used to block off sections of broken porch railing or fence off an area from predators.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, oplli said:

We cannot jump in the long dark what if you block yourself and die?

Haha no different than falling down a cliff. You die & start again. Lol

There could be a tear down option.

Edited by Sherri
  • Upvote 1

On 6/24/2020 at 7:40 PM, Sherri said:

Crafted with a ton of wood & scrap metal. Damn heavy once crafted so you can't lug a bunch around.

A 2m (3 foot) section of fence that will stop animals from crossing.

Can be used to block off sections of broken porch railing or fence off an area from predators.

I like it. could create a safe outdoor space for crafting on Coastal Highway. Could block in a porch for outdoor reading and sewing & sleeping without fear. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sherri said:

Haha no different than falling down a cliff. You die & start again. Lol

There could be a tear down option.

Yeah your are right maybe it could aldo be windprotective so we could start a fire behind. It could let us make camps in the wild

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NotQuiteBearGrylls said:

Maybe something like a scarecrow, using the moose hide, which deters animals from coming too close to your immediate base.

I would like to see that, this is a great idea

Frankly I'm not in favor of any of this.
I think it makes things too safe and much too convenient.
I think part of the whole point is that the wolves are relentless.
I think part of the whole point is that we need to pay attention and be aware our surroundings (check for hostile wildlife before we start harvesting or crafting outside).
I think that if folks want to have some space/relief from the hostile wildlife... I believe they ought to play on Pilgrim for a while.

Also I dislike the idea of being able to build things all over the place.  I think it would disrupt the very deliberate balancing that I think Hinterland achieves with each region.

:coffee::fire:
Building barricades and/or "scarecrows?"

No thank you.

Edited by ManicManiac

On 6/30/2020 at 4:28 PM, ManicManiac said:

Frankly I'm not in favor of any of this.
I think it makes things too safe and much too convenient.
I think part of the whole point is that the wolves are relentless.
I think part of the whole point is that we need to pay attention and be aware our surroundings (check for hostile wildlife before we start harvesting or crafting outside).
I think that if folks want to have some space/relief from the hostile wildlife... I believe they ought to play on Pilgrim for a while.

Also I dislike the idea of being able to build things all over the place.  I think it would disrupt the very deliberate balancing that I think Hinterland achieves with each region.

:coffee::fire:
Building barricades and/or "scarecrows?"

No thank you.

I see you often on the posts always saying that you dont like the ideas that you see and it is fine but maybe you could tell a good idea beacause you look like someone who really like this game and have a lot of exprerience i would like to see you vision of the long dark for the future

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, oplli said:

I see you often on the posts always saying that you dont like the ideas that you see and it is fine but maybe you could tell a good idea beacause you look like someone who really like this game and have a lot of exprerience i would like to see you vision of the long dark for the future

I just joined these forums and I second this. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Manic has his opinions, as does everyone else. He does get behind ideas occasionally. I dont want to speak for him, but i gather he wants the game to be as clean cut as possible. The point of the game is survival, if you feel safe, than the game loses it purpose. 

That being said, you'll notice I thought it was a decent idea. I'm all for trying new things out to see how people use them. If something is too overused, nerf it. :)  

14 hours ago, oplli said:

There are idea's that I've supported, just not very many. :)
To be clear, I don't think that ideas I don't agree with are bad... I just don't agree with them.  I say that because I don't judge them as good or bad... I just try to weigh them against how I see the game as a whole and my appreciation of it.

First, let me give a little bit of context... I know I've mentioned it before, so I'll just echo it here:

On 12/21/2019 at 6:21 AM, ManicManiac said:

I love the discussion of ideas and the exchange of points of view.

I've made posts in the wishlist subforum in the past as well, but the longer I played the more I came to understand (or at least by my estimations) and respect why things were implemented the way they were.

To be clear, there have been ideas here that I have very much supported... the other's I have just weighed in on with my perspective.  I think it's equally valuable for any developer to hear from both sides of an idea or opinion.  I seem to have a much different perspective on the game as a whole than a lot of people on the forum.  Which I suppose has caused some to assume I'm against changing anything... which is not the case.  In the end, I trust Hinterland to do what's best for their game... so if they see fit to change things, then great.  I've not objected to anything they've changed, even though I've not always agreed with the changes... I've accepted them and took the challenge of adapting my playstyle to overcome those decisions I initially didn't like.  I didn't fuss about it... I chose to embrace it, and as a result I've become much happier with the game.

I do feel (that at least to some degree) I understand and can appreciate the choices that Hinterland has made with their game... and I think a voice expressing that is not harmful, but provides a counter balance to all the voices who do what to change things based on their own personal preferences.

I don't condemn other's for their opinions, I just don't always agree with them because I try to understand and appreciate why Hinterland makes the choices they do.  To me player choice is more powerful at adjusting the experience than wanting to change the game itself.

Because I appreciate the experience Hinterland has created, I don't presume to think that I would know what's best for Hinterland's game.  I think it's their piece of art, and I think it's better when it's appreciated and enjoyed... rather than folks often suggesting things that might be cool to that individual, but that I think would undermine the core of the experience that Hinterland so lovingly crafted.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

However, to better more directly answer what I think your question is, I'll mention a couple of idea's that I've been in support of in the past:

• I've been in favor of being able to better customize living spaces (finer/more precise control over placing, stacking, and orienting objects; the ability to move small containers and small furniture around inside a structure)
  • I've been in favor of the addition of a Tip-up, giving the player the option to make ice fishing passive; like rabbit snares (especially because the yield would be likely much lower than "actively fishing" but also because Tip-ups are used for actual ice-fishing - so I figured it would be reasonable to find them on Great Bear Island as well).  ...however I acknowledge that this addition is not really necessary in any way, just that I think it might be a nice option to have.

The short version... if I think an idea would undermine the underlying ideas/themes of the game, or would just serve as a player convenience (aka just making the game easier) ...then I'm generally just not in favor of those ideas. :)  Things that I think would complement those underlying ideas, themes, or challenges of the game (or at least wouldn't seem to interfere with it) I find I could be in favor of.

I don't presume I could make The Long Dark better than Hinterland, so I don't try to... instead I try to appreciate what Hinterland is making for us.

For anyone wondering what a Tip-up is:

1546585792_IcefishingTip-Up.jpg.26e030309b42f24a6e518062adc2358d.jpg

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Reading over my suggestion and the posts that followed, I've concluded with the following. 

I think the reason, personally, I like the idea of barricades etc, is symptomatic of the fact that sometimes I'm looking for a more balanced 'wilderness survival' gameplay experience; which no amount of scarecrows or barricades will provide. 

What I'd really like to see is a parallel survival mode to the current. One which reduces the threat of aggressive wolves and increases other aspects of survival. I am thrilled with the concept of Winters Embrace, but it's just the tip of the iceberg (pun intended), when it comes to possibilities.  Frostbite could be buffed as just a very basic example. 

I'm not just thinking of something as straightforward as 'Loper settings with Pilgrim predators (though it is a good source of reference). Wolves would still be a threat, but how and how much they threaten the player would change; along with many other aspects of survival mode.

8 hours ago, NotQuiteBearGrylls said:

Reading over my suggestion and the posts that followed, I've concluded with the following. 

I think the reason, personally, I like the idea of barricades etc, is symptomatic of the fact that sometimes I'm looking for a more balanced 'wilderness survival' gameplay experience; which no amount of scarecrows or barricades will provide. 

What I'd really like to see is a parallel survival mode to the current. One which reduces the threat of aggressive wolves and increases other aspects of survival. I am thrilled with the concept of Winters Embrace, but it's just the tip of the iceberg (pun intended), when it comes to possibilities.  Frostbite could be buffed as just a very basic example. 

I'm not just thinking of something as straightforward as 'Loper settings with Pilgrim predators (though it is a good source of reference). Wolves would still be a threat, but how and how much they threaten the player would change; along with many other aspects of survival mode.

I like your idea but i dont think that making the world colder with less wolves is the way to go, i think that it will just cause more death and a less enjoyable gameplay. I do not think that i would like to always travel in the bizzards and in the wind etc. I think what the devs could do is makimg new milesstones to achieve. Right now lets say in interloper: your goal is to quickly find a hammer and a hacksaw, to make arrowheads, knife hatchet, hooks etc then make your bow and arrows, hunting some wolves, deers, bears and rabbits to make some clothes, out of em etc then when you did that you can start exploring. It will be nice for some time but when there is nothing left to explore the game becomes boring you dosent have anything left to do and it is really just surviving, repairing you clothes hunting etc.

I think the game needs a bit of refreshing i am optimist about winter embrace and i cannot wait to try this new gameplay but to make it quick i think we really need new milesstones in the game beacause if you want less wolves and colder temperatures you can setup a custom game. althought i am not against new wolves mechanic cuz right now if we have a torch or a flare we can just continue our travelling without thinking about the wolves if we encounter one.

• Like 1