Sickening perspective shift when looking up/down - overdone warping / fisheye effect

Hi there,

Long-time TLD-lover here. Just had an experience that really, really threw me though. Want to know if anyone else has noticed this.

WARNING: Once you've seen it, you can't un-see it...

The perspective shift is really, REALLY borked when you rotate your view up & down. I was looking around outside Trapper's Cabin, and suddenly noticed it. After over 300 hours in the game, I never noticed this! Crazy. I feel slightly sick. The images attached don't do it justice, but they do clearly illustrate how wrong the perspective shift is.

Take the example in the first image ("see up the tree"): The left-hand pane shows me looking straight ahead. Then I look up slightly - and in the right-hand pane, I can suddenly see well up the 'skirts' of a distant tree's foliage. Wait, what??

Now the second example: The left-hand pane shows me looking straight ahead. I look up slightly, and distant trees have dramatically bent inwards towards the centre of the view. Waaaaay beyond what looks 'normal'.

Like I say, the images don't do it justice - the overall effect is that the trees are all overly-dramatically bowing down when you look down, and then they all bend over backwards when you look up. It's nuts. Things didn't improve when I changed FOV settings either. Tried both extremes, and in the middle (where I usually play, on 80). Just as borked in all cases. 

Try it for yourself! Or... don't.

So... help? It's kind of shattered my immersion in the game. I'm hoping I can dive back in and... just not look up so much, and forget about it?

see up the tree.png

bendy trees.png

Edited by monsieur_cronky
Added detail

Yeah. In the early days of bleak inlet the trees were completely wack even if you were just walking or looking around. they would just point or rotate wherever they wanted... I don't know if they fixed it yet, but it reveals that they are using some interesting code to make the trees rotate with perspective, and it's very unstable.

On 5/31/2020 at 6:02 AM, pdxaeroman said:

Yeah. In the early days of bleak inlet the trees were completely wack even if you were just walking or looking around. they would just point or rotate wherever they wanted... I don't know if they fixed it yet, but it reveals that they are using some interesting code to make the trees rotate with perspective, and it's very unstable.

Hey thanks for replying.

I discovered something! I don't think it's location-based - it seems to be linked to the tree quality settings (maybe the 'Tree Billboard' distance?).

The reason I only noticed this recently was that I'd turned down my quality settings to Low while experimenting with a larger monitor, and then left the game for some months. When I turned the quality settings back up to High, the problem was solved! Trees look normal again! Well, almost. I can still notice the effect, but it happens with trees that are much further away now. So it's definitely less noticeable.

I'm going to go log this as a bug and see if it's something they can fix. I realise it's related to improving performance - but like I say, it just seems like the coefficients for rotation etc are off somehow.