So, a serious bug with Cabin Fever

dahemac

20 minutes ago, Dan_ said:

If we go back to the OP, it is presenting a rare situation in which the game demands a non-practical amount of time to be spent IRL in front of a black screen.

:D I think the way to deal with it... is to better prepare in the first place so it doesn't happen. (that's what most of my other posts in the thread have been about)

:coffee::fire:
...and from another topic that would seem relevant to this one:

On 8/17/2020 at 11:37 PM, ManicManiac said:

I think this game should "punish" mistakes.  In a survival game like this, if a player is not paying attention or makes a mistake... we should have to live with the consequences of our actions.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

On 8/23/2020 at 3:54 PM, Perren said:

Maybe they could add a feature to bring a battery with you and then hook it up to the elevator?

You'd need a ton of batteries wired in series to provide the voltage necessary to power an elevator motor.

Nah, a climbing rope would be a good addition though.  Like you're climbing the elevator cable itself or something.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

You'd need a ton of batteries wired in series to provide the voltage necessary to power an elevator motor.

Nah, a climbing rope would be a good addition though.  Like you're climbing the elevator cable itself or something.

I should point out that my objection was NOT getting stuck in the mine, or even dying. It was a structural game mechanic combination that meant I could not play the game, but instead had to leave the game running with a black screen for hours waiting for death or an aurora. Pass time should not be disabled, even if you cannot sleep.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I have Cabin Fever in my custom, and it took about 80 days to get it.  I get it, Mackenzie is cracking up. In survival mode, maybe he ran into Astrid and she was a frozen corpse, so he's going it alone. Maybe he's still searching, but he knows he has to pack up and move on to survive, so they keep missing each other. But I didn't find the Cabin Fever to be a huge deal.  I got to the small town in PV, Thompson? Crossing and sleep in the car near the Community hall.  He was warm, and safe and spent the days breaking down and gathering supplies to bring to the Community Hall as my base of operations from that side of the map.

Although in my Custom with Astrid, I think I will do without the Cabin Fever and change a few settings and see if I miss it or if it adds anything to the game.  I like the exploration and the resource gathering, so I doubt it.

I think madness would definitely be a creeping problem for our survivors. People have stripped off and headed out into the snow (or a battlefield) to die irl. It was just having the game effectively stop working for real-time hours that pissed me off. It was not that I could not have reverted to an earlier save to recover from the broken game mechanic. It was the combination of circumstance and programming decisions that broke game play.

I was lucky. The aurora came back the following night and I could play again. But that could have taken hours in real time with the game running with a black screen.

• 2 months later...

Currently I'm 98 days into a game, first time in years I've gotten cabin fever, and as the original post I'm stuck in the same mine...oversight on my part, or bad timing...been here 6 game nights, glad I bought lots of coffee to keep me awake and some go juice. 

Here's why I LOVE cabin fever and no pass time despite my current dilemma.

#1 I've played 1000's of hours on this awesome game, and frankly I should have known better.

#2 the fact that I can't pass time and have literally been staring at a black screen all day praying for the Arora adds a degree claustrophobia to the game. I am personally feeling anxious, even though I'm pretty sure I will make it out alive, the fact that I'm burning through all my precious resources doing so adds a special element to the game.

#3 This game is about wilderness survival in bad conditions, if I just sat in a house going hunting back to my safe house without any penalty this would get boring quick. I'm glad the devs found a way to get the players out and about.

There is no logic to it of course, just as there is no logic to why I can't chop the timbers down here in the mine or a million other nonsensical things in the game...like why the pop cans don't freeze...but for me cabin fever and the no passing of time is just another element that make this the best game ever. 

And I'm not bias because I'm a Canadian 😁

• Like 1

Cabin Fever can already be turned off in custom, so I really don't care whether it stays or goes in the "standard" modes.  I can already play with it or without it as I wish.

The elevator in that mine though was just an awful addition to the game in survival mode... please just remove it.  Ditto for the passcode to the cannery.  Such aurora gimics belong in story mod only.

8 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Cabin Fever can already be turned off in custom, so I really don't care whether it stays or goes in the "standard" modes.  I can already play with it or without it as I wish.

The elevator in that mine though was just an awful addition to the game in survival mode... please just remove it.  Ditto for the passcode to the cannery.  Such aurora gimics belong in story mod only.

ETA:  There is a "wait for an aurora" event in story mode involving the Carter dam, but the dam is set up such that it does not impede the player getting through the dam without an aurora in Survival Mode.  This is a better execution of this sort of event than the elevator in this mine... which is a forced choke point on the player event in Survival Mode.  There should be a way around it within the mine that is open in Survival Mode to allow survival mode players to freely transit from one zone to the other at any time of the day or night without an aurora.