Story mode is free to explore?

Nuno Magalhães

There are some paths and routes are closed off in Story Mode (for the sake of focus I suppose)... some of which open up as the story progresses.  On the other hand, the region(s) relevant to the each chapter are open for the player to explore as much or as little as they wish outside the directed objectives.

If you want the full Sandbox where the "story" is yours... then play Survival Mode. :)
If you are interested in Will and Astrid's story... then play Wintermute. :)

Of course, I recommend playing it all because each has it's own value.  Plus, I really love spending time in Great Bear... so Story, Sandbox, and the Challenges are all wonderful in my book.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

There are some paths and routes are closed off in Story Mode (for the sake of focus I suppose)... some of which open up as the story progresses.  On the other hand, the region(s) relevant to the each chapter are open for the player to explore as much or as little as they wish outside the directed objectives.

If you want the full Sandbox where the "story" is yours... then play Survival Mode. :)
If you are interested in Will and Astrid's story... then play Wintermute. :)

Of course, I recommend playing it all because each has it's own value.  Plus, I really love spending time in Great Bear... so Story, Sandbox, and the Challenges are all wonderful in my book.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

I like games in survival mode but ONLY if i  playing for a reason like find a lot of lore/story like the forest do

15 hours ago, DerpyLemon115 said:

As for survival mode having history/lore it does to an extent, in that you can find note and buffer memories that give some backstory to the history of Great Bear, and it's inhabitants.

Hinterland also uses location names and environmental story telling quit a bit in survival.

Edited by RegentRelic

On 5/25/2020 at 3:25 AM, Nuno Magalhães said:

I like games in survival mode but ONLY if i  playing for a reason like find a lot of lore/story like the forest do

In survival mode you can find polaroids, notes, and buffer memories in reawakened technology to put together more lore within the story. You can also do a little detective work with some of the corpses to figure out what killed them. 

• 3 months later...

Exploration doesn't appear to be a central focus of story mode. Certain regions can't be accessed until you clear a particular objective. And certain transitions are permanent. They want you to learn about the island, its people, and their struggles, which is why there are so many notes, books, and artifacts to interact with. It is the best example of the "story" part of story mode. It's gives you an idea about how society functioned in world of the long dark.

Survival mode is all about exploration and is kind of like some national geographic man vs wild experience. There seems to be a series of collectibles and other small objectives that provide a small "push" since there is absolutely no narrative to follow.  Survival mode is really for players that want to craft their own gameplay experience.

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2020 at 7:11 AM, Nuno Magalhães said:

Can we play story mode but like an survival mode!?free to explore,etc?

Like,Mix history mode with survival

When we finish the story,can we cintinue to explore

The survival mode have history to find!?thanks

Just game across this thread and was curious if you decided to try playing storymode as if you were in the sandbox?

"cause, I did just that recently and am now actually having more fun doing so based on the limitations of Storymode vs. the Sandbox.