This game is awful! Glad I only paid $7.99

David Vacchi

I've had a few issues figuring things out myself, but lucky for me all you digital badasses have played the heck out of this thing already and written some amazing tutorials and advice. Thank you, BTW. I still haven't a clue how to actually hit a rabbit with a stone, but I would be disappointed if this game didn't offer some challenge.

Though one thing I still have not figured out, and I don't know whether I ever will. That supposed supply cache behind the church in Milton, mentioned in one of the notes? I can't find it for the life of me. No doubt it's there, but I'm as stumped as the tree it's supposed to be buried near.

"I still haven't a clue how to actually hit a rabbit with a stone"
That is not as hard. Pick some stones, let's say 5. Just so that you don't have to look for more when you miss couple of times. Find rabbits. It is safe to get near them to some distance - you will find it out. Then crouch and slowly approach rabbit to get even closer. Sometimes they make it easier for you and they stop hopping around. Hold right click to aim and left click to throw the stone. If you miss, just wait until rabbits return, or move in their direction so that you meet them again sooner. I haven't studied rock trajectory, but I am sure you figure it out. When you hit, quickly go to the rabbit, point at it and pick it up, or else it will wake up again. Later when you let some guts cure, you will be able to construct rabbit traps, so there will be no need to throw stones, you will just collect caught rabbits and reset traps. Advandage is that for hunting with stones, you need to wait days until rabbits respawn, while in case of traps you can put several in the same spot again and again and half of them or more will catch a rabbit each time.

"supply cache behind the church in Milton"
It is there. I am not sure but I think it appears only after you read a clue pointing to it. Then you find it easily if you look at the map.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I first bought the game, I tried to run it on a basic Mac laptop. In the first scene of Wintermute, you used to have to click repeatedly to pull out the metal shard out of Will's hand. Something about the fast clicking needed to remove the shard just didn't work at all on my computer. So I was just completely stopped from continuing in Story Mode.

I was so impressed with the trailer, the artwork, and feel of the game that I bought a USB controller to see if that would fix it. I was juuuust able to pull out the shard with repeated attempts of furious clicking. I stumbled along through the rest of the beginning, barely able to figure out what the game was training me to do. I appreciated the relative safety of that first scene, how it forced you to learn one skill at a time. But I do remember the learning process being really slow going and frustrating until I researched more about the controls.

After at least hundreds of hours of game time, I still have fond memories of that experience. It felt like a genuine challenge, simulating some of the stress, confusion, and struggle of real survival. Because I didn't want spoilers from survival mode, I started with no idea of what to expect, and I'm really glad I got to explore the world that way.

I later realized that the clicking bug I experienced was the reason I could never fight off wolves, and why I got totally blocked later on in Wintermute using one of the special story weapons. Apparently this bug has shown up for other users too, and has been fixed to some degree. I fiddled with the frame rate and some other graphics settings, and finally got it to work. Thankfully I prefer playing Survival Mode in Pilgrim so it's not an issue generally, but I can see how my experience could have been too frustrating for some people to continue at first.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

On 5/23/2020 at 2:39 AM, David Vacchi said:

Movies take too long to play, controls are horrible, can't even get out of the silly ravine in the 2nd episode - nice try - feel good that you got my $8 while I feel good that I didn't spend $30 for this nag. No tutorial? No how to videos? Really was hoping this game lived up to the commercials you played on Steam, but you have fallen short. Solitaire is more fun.

You just suck lmao

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1