The Long Dark Updated - FEARLESS NAVIGATOR [1.76]

Admin

Guest Paphalophagus
6 hours ago, The Gentleman Bastard said:

I seem to be in the minority on this one, which is fine.

You're not the only one in this minority. There isn't much to get excited about with this update for me. Seems like it just makes the game easier as opposed to more interesting and/or challenging.

Some of the game fixes are promising though.

I really like this update, great job!

Autowalk - I've really been waiting for this, but it's strange now after >400 hrs playing without it^^

Spray markings - this is a great idea, especially because you can see most of them on the map. I can imagine how important it is for new players. I had plans to finally explore HRV anyway, so I'm really looking forward to test this feature. But it's true, it's kinda weird that you can summon a spray can without having one in your inventory, even if you are not able to spray on anything then.

Mapping - I like the way this is working now. It really makes sense. What's great is that you can see how the fog of war dissapears.

Map & Journal improvements - this is so nice! In the past days I was about to start to work on the faithful cartographer achivement. You have really saved me a lot of work to find out what I have missed!  Funny to see that I have quite often forgot to take out the charcoal right before or right after I left / entered a new map ("to Ravine", "to coastal highway" missing).

Rock caches - another great idea, which really fits the environment of the Long Dark to me. It will be definitely of use during my exploration of HRV. Now I ask myself whether I sould bring the 50 stones with me or whether I will find them there. I've already noticed there are much more stones laying around now.

10 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I have still not found a single polaroid.

I've found my first polaroid here:

Quonset Garage behind the counter

14 hours ago, The Gentleman Bastard said:

Same. Who really asked for this? The game and its systems are already fine. Just give us more maps :/ Sadly, kind of a mistep in my opinion. Quit making the game easier. Sucks that with every update I have to worry about if new stuff will break or just fundamentally alter the game :( 

Well, a few of these changes have been suggested on the forum, such as map marking:

and a list of mapped locations:

I can't find the thread right now but I know at least one other forum user has previously mentioned wanting the ability to map further but in less detail from vantage points, which seems to be kind of implemented now.  It would be interesting to know whether this is just forum users unknowingly discussing what the game developers are already planning, or if there is any element of Hinterland using these suggestions as a basis for update content (obviously a lot of other factors must go into the decisions of what changes to bring in).

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, The Gentleman Bastard said:

I get that, but the whole point of the game is that survival is hard. Its a hard game. I dunno, I dont want to sound like im "gatekeeping" or what have you (Like when "Souls" players bitch about new players wanting the game to be more accessible. those people are kinda dicks) but its just easy to worry about change when its something you really like. Like I said, I seem to be in the minority on this one, which is fine. I am glad if it brings more people to this awesome game. Im just adverse to change I guess. Still have nothing but love for Hinterland and all the survivors on here :) I hope you are finding the game as amazing and breathtaking as I did when i first jumped in (still do of course, but nothing beats the first time youre dropped into Great Bear) ^^

I agree- it being hard is a core part of the game. But as they've added maps (& timberwolves) the game gets harder (more to memorize). So mapping improvements balances that a bit.

And really, these markers don't REALLY make the game much easier. You still can't find the markers without being in visual range, so you could have used dropped sticks & stones or just awareness of landmarks to accomplish this. The marks appearing on your map is nice - but without an arrow on your map showing where you are, you still need to go visually find them.

This is a shortcut for players who make heavy use of the journal ("Bear west of double rock north of farm") vs just spray painting it now.

I don't see how this really makes navigating much easier if at all. More of a memory tool. Plus the added weight you now have to carry.

• Like 1

Thats so cool. I might not use the new mapping functions out of need, but i will use them because it would be realistic to be mapping this way and it will give more immersion.  Thx for this

Now we just need meat to deteriorate faster when stored outside due to carnivores coming to take the meat. Make a rock formation if you want your meat to deteriorate slower

Edited by exeexe

The only part of this update I will ever use is the data gathering part which I'm assuming is going to be used to better improve the game down the line. As well as hopefully one day being published. I mean I guess I have already used the supply mounds to break the A.I, but all fun do be had with that is counteracted by the fact that the best part of the long dark is when first get it. That first little while when you don't really know how much world there is and after a few hours you check your achievements and see that the game says you've only explored 2% of the game world so, you feel like there's a nearly endless expanse of wilderness out there. About two years ago I bought my much younger cousin the long dark and the first thing he did was play wintermute and then after twenty minutes checked to see what achievements he should be looking for. When he saw that there was an achievement for reaching the summit of timber wolf mountain he knew that's what he was going to try and do. Now of course he was playing wintermute so he couldn't go to timber wolf mountain, but I didn't tell him that. After leaving Graymothers house he noticed the hill with the signal tower and thought that it was a lot taller than it is  and that it was timber wolf mountain or that Milton was on timber wolf mountain and that was the summit so he set of to make his way up. Being used to game where travel is the shortest part of the journey he thought  that making his way through the town, getting a little lost, getting attacked by a wolf and hiking against the cold up the trail was a reason able challenge for the achievement. Upon reaching the radio tower he opened up the supplies create expected to be greeted by a location pop up and the achievement. After a moment I took the controller turned him around faced the direction of timber wolf mountain found the biggest mountain and said that is timber wolf mountain. You could see the stars in his eyes when he went being disappointed at how short the trip had been to staring into the great unknown. When you give players to much information you take away some of the magic. My thoughts on this update ultimately are...

426n8k.jpg

15 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

If anyone is wondering, no you cannot spray-paint a sleeping bear.  I just tried it, and could not get the spray-paint icon to appear on the bear.  I escaped unharmed due to my ninja skills.

:D:D:D

Clearly, they have to fix that. I mean come on!

Edited by Karl Grylls
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GothSkunk said:

Rock caches are made in the Navigation sub-menu of the quick-access circle. They require 50 stones to construct, and can store 30 kg worth of stuff.

No more tossing meat on the ground for this player! ^_^

50 stones?!? oof ill just continue dropping meat on the ground.  unless the decay rate was better in a rock cache, but after level 5 cooking it doesnt matter anyway

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sherri said:

I agree- it being hard is a core part of the game. But as they've added maps (& timberwolves) the game gets harder (more to memorize). So mapping improvements balances that a bit.

And really, these markers don't REALLY make the game much easier. You still can't find the markers without being in visual range, so you could have used dropped sticks & stones or just awareness of landmarks to accomplish this. The marks appearing on your map is nice - but without an arrow on your map showing where you are, you still need to go visually find them.

This is a shortcut for players who make heavy use of the journal ("Bear west of double rock north of farm") vs just spray painting it now.

I don't see how this really makes navigating much easier if at all. More of a memory tool. Plus the added weight you now have to carry.

very true. and people were already using sticks and rocks and such as trail markers, so upon reflection i do agree that it is kinda nice. I think my post came more from just worrying about nothing (and it kinda seems like, after re-reading it, that I come off as an asshat. so apologies to any newer survivors) Its just easy to get nervous with new additions to an already great game

Edited by The Gentleman Bastard
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

Well, a few of these changes have been suggested on the forum, such as map marking:

and a list of mapped locations:

I can't find the thread right now but I know at least one other forum user has previously mentioned wanting the ability to map further but in less detail from vantage points, which seems to be kind of implemented now.  It would be interesting to know whether this is just forum users unknowingly discussing what the game developers are already planning, or if there is any element of Hinterland using these suggestions as a basis for update content (obviously a lot of other factors must go into the decisions of what changes to bring in).

yeah, upon further reflection I see how I was worried about nothing, and seeming kinda douchy whilst doing so. Its just hard not to worry about changes to an already awesome game, but Hinterland are no dummies. They know what theyre doing, and I just gotta trust em. I didnt outright delete said post, as other people seemed to agree at the time, and I still see where they are coming from, but they just gotta do as I do and trust the professionals :)  

Edited by The Gentleman Bastard

23 hours ago, Sherri said:

But as they've added maps (& timberwolves) the game gets harder (more to memorize).

Learning maps is kind of a one time thing. In the long run it makes the game easier because you get a lot more resources from those maps. The game used to be only ML and surviving there for a few weeks or months was a serious challenge as you quickly ran out of certain things

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2020 at 12:43 PM, atomic said:

I really like this update, great job!

Autowalk - I've really been waiting for this, but it's strange now after >400 hrs playing without it^^

Spray markings - this is a great idea, especially because you can see most of them on the map. I can imagine how important it is for new players. I had plans to finally explore HRV anyway, so I'm really looking forward to test this feature. But it's true, it's kinda weird that you can summon a spray can without having one in your inventory, even if you are not able to spray on anything then.

Mapping - I like the way this is working now. It really makes sense. What's great is that you can see how the fog of war dissapears.

Map & Journal improvements - this is so nice! In the past days I was about to start to work on the faithful cartographer achivement. You have really saved me a lot of work to find out what I have missed!  Funny to see that I have quite often forgot to take out the charcoal right before or right after I left / entered a new map ("to Ravine", "to coastal highway" missing).

Rock caches - another great idea, which really fits the environment of the Long Dark to me. It will be definitely of use during my exploration of HRV. Now I ask myself whether I sould bring the 50 stones with me or whether I will find them there. I've already noticed there are much more stones laying around now.

I've found my first polaroid here:

Reveal hidden contents

Quonset Garage behind the counter

I’ve found this one too but did you succeed in learning the indications behind the picture? 

On 5/19/2020 at 8:49 PM, Dr. S. said:

Inventory is broken for me with this update (Steam, Mac). When I drop one object, a different object drops instead.

Also had an issue where using an object would use a different object; that disappeared after save/quit/reload.

Yes but, "Mein Fuhrer, I can AUTOWALK !!!" 😉

20 hours ago, The Gentleman Bastard said:

yeah, upon further reflection I see how I was worried about nothing, and seeming kinda douchy whilst doing so. Its just hard not to worry about changes to an already awesome game, but Hinterland are no dummies. They know what theyre doing, and I just gotta trust em. I didnt outright delete said post, as other people seemed to agree at the time, and I still see where they are coming from, but they just gotta do as I do and trust the professionals :)  

no worries dude, I've had games I've sunk big time into get ruined by a bad update, any initial concern is completely understandable!  fair play for engaging in conversation and reflecting on your original stance (not that there was anything wrong with stating an honest opinion) when it would have been easy to go the other way.  Here's hoping a couple of the new features pleasantly surprise you, and that the next update ticks a few things off your wish list.

TLDR = you're not an asshat 👍

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JohnnyCanuck said:

I’ve found this one too but did you succeed in learning the indications behind the picture? 

Yep.  FOV differences almost threw me, but this is definitely the location.  This really reminds me of the "Guess where I am" screenshot game we had a few months back.  In fact I would not be at all surprised if that was the inspiration for the polaroids.

screen_3e6e41a4-5c21-4659-8d45-21a1cd4377f7_hi.png

On 5/19/2020 at 3:20 PM, odizzido said:

[Survival] All cabins now display smoke coming out of their chimney, when a fire is lit inside. 

For some reason this was a change I really liked. It's small, but it gives a feeling of life to the world for me.

That's my favorite thing in this update. I don't know why such a small thing is so important, but I really like this.

On 5/19/2020 at 3:51 PM, The Gentleman Bastard said:

In all fairness, I do see many people do like the changes, so I guess im in the minority. And I know you dont have to use any of this, but still, just my opinion. Also, if you cant do this stuff in Wintermute, its gunna seem really odd :/ 

Nothing wrong with constructive criticism. I would like to see more maps but these are pretty nice tools.

On 5/19/2020 at 6:45 PM, ajb1978 said:

If anyone is wondering, no you cannot spray-paint a sleeping bear.  I just tried it, and could not get the spray-paint icon to appear on the bear.  I escaped unharmed due to my ninja skills.

That's a brilliant thing to try and it would never have occurred to me. How do you dream up this crap? I envy your out of the box thinking.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Yep.  FOV differences almost threw me, but this is definitely the location.  This really reminds me of the "Guess where I am" screenshot game we had a few months back.  In fact I would not be at all surprised if that was the inspiration for the polaroids.

screen_3e6e41a4-5c21-4659-8d45-21a1cd4377f7_hi.png

Clearly! When i found a Polaroïd in game just after the update, i didn’t know what they are and what they mean...but i quickly understood that collection was a kind of « orientation game » like the game i’ve launched here in this forum before i change my username. Maybe i should claim copyright 🤓