The Long Dark Updated - FEARLESS NAVIGATOR [1.76]

Admin

3 hours ago, romerabr said:

It´s a large update, full of new features. Great work, HL, but it´s not for me...

Same. Who really asked for this? The game and its systems are already fine. Just give us more maps :/ Sadly, kind of a mistep in my opinion. Quit making the game easier. Sucks that with every update I have to worry about if new stuff will break or just fundamentally alter the game :( 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sherri said:

I wonder if the rock caches can be used to store meat outside your base?

Yes.  I just did a test with some meat, and was surprised at the results.  I don't know if it's intended or a bug, but in my short test, meat stored in a rock cache decays much less, if at all.

My test has spanned about 3 days in game so far.  I started with three cooked pieces of moose meat at 90% and three raw rabbit pieces at 95%.  I put a piece of each on the snow, a piece of each in an outdoor container (lockers under the stairs at Hibernia), and a piece of each in a rock cache.  After my short test, the moose in the snow and locker is at 87% and rabbit in the snow and locker is at 82%.  The moose and rabbit in the rock cache have not changed - 90% and 95%, respectively.

I'll continue the test next time I play and see how it goes.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, The Gentleman Bastard said:

Same. Who really asked for this? The game and its systems are already fine. Just give us more maps :/ Sadly, kind of a mistep in my opinion. Quit making the game easier. Sucks that with every update I have to worry about if new stuff will break or just fundamentally alter the game :( 

In all fairness, I do see many people do like the changes, so I guess im in the minority. And I know you dont have to use any of this, but still, just my opinion. Also, if you cant do this stuff in Wintermute, its gunna seem really odd :/ 

• Upvote 1

Thank you, Hinterland!

Edit:

[UI] Cooking UI now displays updated weight of items, instead of always showing the base weight.

*GASP!*  Does this mean that when we cook raw meat now, it'll actually lose some weight in the cooking process? :D

Edited by GothSkunk

Nice! I'm still eagerly awaiting Episode 4, but I appreciate the height visibility bonus particularly. Makes a lot of sense.
Can I suggest a couple of text changes? Change book description to start with "originally" ("eventually" makes no sense), and change the challenges description to a realistic time frame... has any non-dev completed one in 1-3 hours? I've done two and they both took 15+ game hours. Still one of my favorite games and it's definitely making self-isolation easier! Thank you! (cross-posting to youtube)
Edited by shirt145

51 minutes ago, Tekuromoto said:

Nice to see more features to ease in more newbies and for less committed players. 

Will the new items spawn in an existing save, especially the Polaroids? I don’t mind going back to search but I don’t want to go in vain. 

I'm playing an existing Interloper save, currently located in Desolation Point.  I found a paint can in the Broken Bridge car, and another paint can by a window in the lighthouse.  I haven't ventured farther than that yet, but I expect the Polaroids will be out there.

Edited by MrWolf

13 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'm playing an existing Interloper save, currently located in Desolation Point.  I found a paint can in the Broken Bridge car, and another paint can by a window in the lighthouse.  I haven't ventured farther than that yet, but I expect the Polaroids will be out there.

Awesome, thanks. Good to know.

As an aside (nudge, dev team), it's extremely weird to pull out a paint can and prepare to paint and then get the "you have no paint cans" message. That doesn't happen when you try to use charcoal or a gun or anything else. I'd say the option in the wheel needs to be greyed out if you've got no paint. 

Edited by Tekuromoto
  • Upvote 3

as a 2015 player that knows 90% of the maps very well, this survival update really isnt my cup of tea (much like the last one) but i appreciate any content we receive, the rock caches i may use!  furthermore, the biggest upside for me is, any improvements that improve the game, further the life of the game and the likelihood that we will receive more and more updates/maps/etc, and some of those will inevitably be things i yearn for!

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, odium said:

as a 2015 player that knows 90% of the maps very well, this survival update really isnt my cup of tea (much like the last one) but i appreciate any content we receive, the rock caches i may use!  furthermore, the biggest upside for me is, any improvements that improve the game, further the life of the game and the likelihood that we will receive more and more updates/maps/etc, and some of those will inevitably be things i yearn for!

same for me, but still: game was released 6 years ago and still gets regularly, free updates. I have 400++ hours in this game and wouldn't mind to pay another time for the last two episodes.

Edited by Karl Grylls
  • Upvote 1

If anyone is wondering, no you cannot spray-paint a sleeping bear.  I just tried it, and could not get the spray-paint icon to appear on the bear.  I escaped unharmed due to my ninja skills.

I have still not found a single polaroid.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Yes.  I just did a test with some meat, and was surprised at the results.  I don't know if it's intended or a bug, but in my short test, meat stored in a rock cache decays much less, if at all.

My test has spanned about 3 days in game so far.  I started with three cooked pieces of moose meat at 90% and three raw rabbit pieces at 95%.  I put a piece of each on the snow, a piece of each in an outdoor container (lockers under the stairs at Hibernia), and a piece of each in a rock cache.  After my short test, the moose in the snow and locker is at 87% and rabbit in the snow and locker is at 82%.  The moose and rabbit in the rock cache have not changed - 90% and 95%, respectively.

I'll continue the test next time I play and see how it goes.

I'd also include meat left in the trunk of a vehicle for your test, whether or not an item is in a container has an effect too. I use car trunks because they're relatively bear proof for roleplaying. Containers that are outdoors get the benefits of both I think. 

1 hour ago, EfoDom said:

Is autowalk working for everyone? I can't get it to work. The key binding set to Z doesn't do anything when I click it.

You also have to turn it on in the Accessibility settings. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Karl Grylls said:

same for me, but still: game was released 6 years ago and still gets regularly, free updates. I have 400++ hours in this game and wouldn't mind to pay another time for the last two episodes.

right!  i would gladly pay $10 a map or buy any dlc they offered!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Well, I got 30 days into my goal of a year-long fire. Guess that fire will have to go out.  I've got some polaroids to find!

Neat idea.

How much wood did you gather in advance ?

Did you start a new game, start a fire, and then went from there ?

-t

Edited by turtle777

22 minutes ago, turtle777 said:

How much wood did you gather in advance ?

Did you start a new game, start a fire, and then went from there ?

About 5 days worth.  I used my existing guy, that I created after Steadfast Ranger went live.  Same guy, I've got every region mapped, every cairn discovered, every buffer memory acquired, every collectible...collected.  The one thing I seem to be missing are polaroids, as I have not found any in the world with this guy so far.

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Somewhat annoyed that I"ll have to search basically everywhere to get cans in my current long-game save. oh well. have jerky will travel...

Edited by reginaphalange

4 hours ago, The Gentleman Bastard said:

Keep in mind, once a game is already out for a while, it becomes harder to bring in new players. The initial wave of TLD players had very few maps to play in & learn. So they were 'eased in' by virtue of having few maps.

New players like me have a huge game world to learn & we don't have everything memorised like players who came in at the beginning. So an update like this helps ease new players into the game by making navigating a bit easier. Updates like this help keep it balanced for new players.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

I'd also include meat left in the trunk of a vehicle for your test, whether or not an item is in a container has an effect too. I use car trunks because they're relatively bear proof for roleplaying. Containers that are outdoors get the benefits of both I think. 

I used a container - an outdoor locker in Desolation point.  I'll try a car trunk as well to make sure that has not changed, but it's just another outdoor container like those outdoor lockers, outdoor metal boxes, or a corpse in the snow.

Until now, outdoors is outdoors for rate of decay in meat, whether it's left on the ground or in a car trunk or other outdoor container, it makes no difference.  Some other seemingly indoor areas count as outdoor for meat decay, like anywhere in the 2-layer caves (caves without a loading screen), or the enclosed porch at the Farmstead house in Pleasant Valley.

Edited by MrWolf

1 hour ago, Sherri said:

Keep in mind, once a game is already out for a while, it becomes harder to bring in new players. The initial wave of TLD players had very few maps to play in & learn. So they were 'eased in' by virtue of having few maps.

New players like me have a huge game world to learn & we don't have everything memorised like players who came in at the beginning. So an update like this helps ease new players into the game by making navigating a bit easier. Updates like this help keep it balanced for new players.

I get that, but the whole point of the game is that survival is hard. Its a hard game. I dunno, I dont want to sound like im "gatekeeping" or what have you (Like when "Souls" players bitch about new players wanting the game to be more accessible. those people are kinda dicks) but its just easy to worry about change when its something you really like. Like I said, I seem to be in the minority on this one, which is fine. I am glad if it brings more people to this awesome game. Im just adverse to change I guess. Still have nothing but love for Hinterland and all the survivors on here :) I hope you are finding the game as amazing and breathtaking as I did when i first jumped in (still do of course, but nothing beats the first time youre dropped into Great Bear) ^^

Edited by The Gentleman Bastard

Just curious. How does paint dry in -35°C? I tried paint some fence around 0°C and it took ages to dry. But of couse I am glad I have this option. Gathering sticks and placing them in some pattern is working, but this is neat.

• Upvote 1