Dev Diary – May 2020

Admin

The Milton Mailbag was a cool thing, but I think it's not fit to be a permanent service. One reason being that it's difficult to know whether a question one would like to ask has been asked (and answered) before or not. The longer the Mailbag exists and the more Q&A threads there are, the more it is likely that the same questions will be asked over and over, and the thing becomes repetitive. I used to follow it closely for a while, but then got distracted by RL. Coming back now, I am reluctant to ask questions, because I fear they have been answered already in the past, and I don't want to ask redundant questions. Not sure if a video blog would remedy that. Maybe it's just time for something else. But thanks anyway for running the Milton Mailbag for so long, and thanks for this update. Stay healthy all.

I use autohotkey too. It really saves my fingers when picking up sticks and such as they can hurt if I click too much. 

As to the map updates I am glad they're looking at it. I know when I first played TLD I tried it out but ended up never using it because the time it took for the character to do it wasn't worth it. Hopefully they can improve that. I am speaking about the in game passage of time not my time,  just to be clear. It drains your stats without giving anything back. 

14 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I wrote and still use to this day an AutoHotKey script that contributes an auto-walk feature, in addition to a rapid-click feature.  If I'm crossing the entirety of the Muskeg, Mystery Lake, and Ravine to get back to Jackrabbit Island, I really don't want to be holding W for a literal hour. I can kick back, relax, let autopilot do its thing, and check the screen once a minute or so while I eat a sandwich or something.

And the rapid-click hotkey is super useful as a "take all" button for containers, or for picking up a pile of 100 sticks.

Except for the rapid click "feature" this is exactly what i think. It doesn't add anything to the game if i have to push down a button for 45min+

If you use auto-walk there is nothing you cut off from the game and i found myself very often in situations thinking "my finger hurts, why do i have to press this key all the time?" Especially because i always tend to overload my character with stuff. 30 kg limit is cruel. 40 is to less for all the stuff i want to carry. But then in reality 40 kg on you is the top end when you have to walk all day because you are moving to other regions for example.

tl;dr: Auto walk is nice and best feature in a long time, auto self-rapid-clicking-things are not because it's like you don't play the game yourself

22 hours ago, RegentRelic said:

In fact I trouble seeing their usefulness except for people who physically can’t hold down a button or press the left stick forward.

Perhaps you should trying seeing the world from someone else's perspective besides your own.

• Upvote 1

Autohotkey is the program you need, and then you need a script for it to run saved in the file called autohotkey.ahk

here is the script I use for it, you can copy and paste it. Mine doesn't have autowalk though, it just auto clicks. It's also great for any games telltale made(they're actually why I started using it. I want a story, not to ruin my hand)

setKeyDelay, 5, 5
 setMouseDelay, 5

z::
    while (getKeyState("z", "P"))
    {
        send, {lbutton}
        ; send, {e}
        sleep, 5
    }
 return

• Like 1

Guest Paphalophagus

As @odizzidosaid above, you need a utility called AutoHotKey, which can be found at this link -

https://www.autohotkey.com/

You need to download and install that for the script to work.

This is the script as it was posted in the forums here a while back by @ajb1978:

; Autowalk & RapidClicker for The Long Dark
; To cancel autowalk hit the (autowalk) key again, or press w, s, (inventory), (radial) or (clothing)

; Send left mouse button clicks by holding down a key
; Hold F2 down to send a left mouse click every 50 millisecond.  Release F2 to stop sending clicks.

#SingleInstance Force
#IfWinActive ahk_exe tld.exe   ; works only when TLD is the active window

F2::	; hold down 'F2' for wolf struggle
	While GetKeyState("F2", "P") {
		Click
		Sleep 50
	}
	Return

q::  ; KEYBIND Autowalk
	SendInput % "{w " ( (autowalk:=!autowalk) ? "down" : "up" ) "}" 
	Return

#if autowalk   ; PERFORMANCE capture these keystrokes only when autowalk is active
w::
s::
; TAB::      ; KEYBIND information
i::      ; KEYBIND inventory
c::        ; KEYBIND clothing
	SendInput {%A_ThisHotkey%}
	autowalk:=0
	SendInput {w up}
	Return
Space::        ; KEYBIND Radial menu
	SendInput {w up}
	SendInput {%A_ThisHotkey% down}
	Return

This script not only gives the ability to use the 'Q' key for auto walking, it also gives the ability to use the 'F2' key in a wolf attack. Instead of having to repeatedly press the "F2" to fight a wolf, with this script you just hold it down and it performs the rapid click at a set interval.

Here's a slightly edited version of the above script:

; To cancel autowalk hit the (autowalk) key again, or press w, s, (inventory), (radial) or (clothing)

; Hold F2 down to send a left mouse click every 50 millisecond.  Release F2 to stop sending clicks.

#SingleInstance Force

Click
		Sleep 50
	}
	Return

e::	; click to pick up items 
	; hold for continued pick up
    	While GetKeyState("e", "p"){
        Click
	Sleep 100
    	}
	Return

x::  	; KEYBIND Autowalk
	Return

#if autowalk   ; PERFORMANCE capture these keystrokes only when autowalk is active
Esc::
; c::        ; KEYBIND clothing
	SendInput {w up}
	Return
	SendInput {w up}
	Return

This version also uses the "F2" command as the original but also adds the ability to use the 'E' key in place of the left mouse button to pick things up, open doors, etc. I also changed the 'Q' key for auto walking to 'X'. It just suits me better.

To use the above script of you choice, after installing AutoHotKey, copy the code in one of the above boxes (you don't need both), open Notepad and paste it in. Then save the file with an ahk extension. DO NOT save as a txt file. It must be an ahk file. Then you just click on the ahk file before you start TLD.

I just bought a nintendo swich so i can play some animal crossing but then i remembered that a switch version of the long dark is coming out and im really hyped. I would love to get some news on a release date sometime soon.

On 5/3/2020 at 9:31 PM, ajb1978 said:

I wrote and still use to this day an AutoHotKey script that contributes an auto-walk feature, in addition to a rapid-click feature.  If I'm crossing the entirety of the Muskeg, Mystery Lake, and Ravine to get back to Jackrabbit Island, I really don't want to be holding W for a literal hour. I can kick back, relax, let autopilot do its thing, and check the screen once a minute or so while I eat a sandwich or something.

And the rapid-click hotkey is super useful as a "take all" button for containers, or for picking up a pile of 100 sticks.

my auto hot key is a good ole steel ball bearing with a little plumbers putty on the bottom.  I just plop it on my "w" key  and away I go...  it comes in pretty useful when walking into a head wind, but alas, I've become distracted once or twice when the wind shifted causing my character to practically sprint right over a steep embankment.

9 hours ago, Paphalophagus said:

Then you just click on the ahk file before you start TLD.

There's another thing you can do as an optional step.  Include a shortcut to AutoHotKey in your startup folder so it runs on boot.  Then create a file in your Documents folder titled AutoHotKey.ahk.  When AutoHotKey starts, it will look for AutoHotKey.ahk in Documents, and automatically load it if it exists.  This is useful for creating persistent scripts that always remain in the background, or for organizing other scripts.  In my case I have the auto-walk and rapid-click in a file called TLD.ahk in my Documents folder.  And at the top of my AutoHotKey.ahk file I have:

#Include TLD.ahk

Which does exactly what you would expect it to do.  Every game or tool I create a hotkey script for I save as a separate AHK file in the Documents folder, and use an #include tag for it in AutoHotKey.ahk to cause it to be included when everything starts up.  It makes it easier to keep my hotkeys organized, and by using things like "#IfWinActive ahk_exe tld.exe" it will cause that particular script to only be in effect if that window is active.  You just need to know what the window's name is, which you can find in the Task Manager if the game is full-screen and you can't see the title.  (Shortcut key Ctrl-Shift-Esc)  So using that method you can bind the same key to different things for multiple games.  And because they're housed in separate files, you don't have to be like "Did I already bind E to something?"  You just see the ones you wrote for that one game, in that one particular file.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 6:09 PM, Admin said:

The team is currently tracking towards a mid-May release for the next update. We’ll share more details as we get closer, so make sure you follow the studio accounts if you want to see those.

Are we close to mid-May?  .... please, please, please 🙂

• Like 2

On 5/6/2020 at 4:32 AM, odizzido said:

Autohotkey is the program you need, and then you need a script for it to run saved in the file called autohotkey.ahk

here is the script I use for it, you can copy and paste it. Mine doesn't have autowalk though, it just auto clicks. It's also great for any games telltale made(they're actually why I started using it. I want a story, not to ruin my hand)

setKeyDelay, 5, 5
 setMouseDelay, 5

z::
    while (getKeyState("z", "P"))
    {
        send, {lbutton}
        ; send, {e}
        sleep, 5
    }
 return

On 5/6/2020 at 5:12 PM, Paphalophagus said:

As @odizzidosaid above, you need a utility called AutoHotKey, which can be found at this link -

https://www.autohotkey.com/

You need to download and install that for the script to work.

This is the script as it was posted in the forums here a while back by @ajb1978:

#SingleInstance Force

Click
		Sleep 50
	}
	Return

q::  ; KEYBIND Autowalk
	Return

c::        ; KEYBIND clothing
	SendInput {w up}
	Return
	SendInput {w up}
	Return

This script not only gives the ability to use the 'Q' key for auto walking, it also gives the ability to use the 'F2' key in a wolf attack. Instead of having to repeatedly press the "F2" to fight a wolf, with this script you just hold it down and it performs the rapid click at a set interval.

Here's a slightly edited version of the above script:

#SingleInstance Force

Click
		Sleep 50
	}
	Return

e::	; click to pick up items 
	; hold for continued pick up
    	While GetKeyState("e", "p"){
        Click
	Sleep 100
    	}
	Return

x::  	; KEYBIND Autowalk
	Return

Esc::
; c::        ; KEYBIND clothing
	SendInput {w up}
	Return
	SendInput {w up}
	Return

This version also uses the "F2" command as the original but also adds the ability to use the 'E' key in place of the left mouse button to pick things up, open doors, etc. I also changed the 'Q' key for auto walking to 'X'. It just suits me better.

To use the above script of you choice, after installing AutoHotKey, copy the code in one of the above boxes (you don't need both), open Notepad and paste it in. Then save the file with an ahk extension. DO NOT save as a txt file. It must be an ahk file. Then you just click on the ahk file before you start TLD.

Thanks to you for your helpful reply! 😆

Guest Paphalophagus
7 hours ago, JohnnyCanuck said:

Thanks to you for your helpful reply! 😆

Hope it helps.

Looks like things are progressing... Hinterland have tweeted a mystery teaser image, for those who haven't seen it's an orange 'w' above an 'm', kind of looks spray painted.  Some people have suggested it stands for Wintermute.  Based on what was revealed in the dev diary, my theory is that it stands for 'Will Mackenzie', and we will be able to mark trees, boulders etc. or use this to mark camps on the map.  This does of course assume that the sandbox player is WM (will we get an AG marker if we select the female character?).

The only other explanation I can think of now is that it's a new menu icon- 'with mods'.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

The auto-walk key sounds like it could be useful, although I am rather used to holding down the "w" key for a considerable period of time, so it's definitely not an essential feature for me. If it's a toggle, I may consider using it nonetheless. On the other hand, the hold-down struggle option is very useful for me, because I find clicking quickly to be very challenging.

7 hours ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

Looks like things are progressing... Hinterland have tweeted a mystery teaser image, for those who haven't seen it's an orange 'w' above an 'm', kind of looks spray painted.  Some people have suggested it stands for Wintermute.  Based on what was revealed in the dev diary, my theory is that it stands for 'Will Mackenzie', and we will be able to mark trees, boulders etc. or use this to mark camps on the map.  This does of course assume that the sandbox player is WM (will we get an AG marker if we select the female character?).

The only other explanation I can think of now is that it's a new menu icon- 'with mods'.

Any thoughts?

I think it could be a marker for where you've camped in a region...or perhaps to mark some kind of visual marker.

An new one has been released that says to me: "This marks where I set up a campfire."

1261703240250466305?fbclid=IwAR2JffM0gVshttps://twitter.com/HinterlandGames/status/1261703240250466305/photo/1

Edited by RossBondReturns

• 1 month later...
  • Admin unpinned, unfeatured and locked this topic