Photo mode

Tbone555

So this is literally the most photogenic game I've ever played and while taking screenshots during gameplay is already amazing, since hinterland has seemed to nail 3d modeling characters I have a suggestion.

A true photo mode. Where we can zoom out and catch our character in the shot in 3rd person in a variety of poses and be able to alter the camera. Poses would include our survivor standing holding tools or weapons, and perhaps "combat" poses where he might be flinching or aiming the revolver, holding his hatchet up ready to attack, etc. for photos involving hostile wildlife. What y'all think?

4 hours ago, Dum_Gen said:

There is probably no character model apart from hands - you can't even see your feet. Besides, the devs struggled to add hands model changes when you wear different clothes.

So it is too much work with minimal output. 

Ah, but you're wrong my friend.

In most first person games that include this sort of photo mode, you are correct in that the character model doesn't exist. It's just the hands. However, once this photo mode is activated, the hands are hidden from the scene and replaced with a static 3d model. Probably in a similar way we saw Will during the third person cutscenes in pre-dux. (Which is proof that there is already a pre existing 3d model for will.) This is the same trick id used in doom eternal. Doomguy doesnt have a third person model. He gets replaced with the static model upon toggling photo mode. One of the older development tricks in the book. The model doesn't have to have different clothes, simply using the standard Mackenzie / Astrid models would be enough. Only thing that would really have to be added is creating these models in different poses for the photo mode. It wouldn't be as high effort as you think.

Edited by Tbone555