How to kill bear?

Jedirats

There are basically no sure one-shot kills.  A bleeding wound is the standard technique and all one has to do is be safe from the bear's displeasure. 

For the best chance, aim for the head.  Many suggest aim for its right eye.  The head and neck seem to have the highest chance for a critical hit which kills the animal on the spot.  Anything else is either a bleeding wound (trail of droplets) or nothing (no trail of droplets).  That is not to say that hitting it in the chest or abdomen cannot result in an instant kill but just not as likely. 

Bears, at least, tend to run a certain distance then start to walk, usually back to their normal patrol path.  They can move quite some distance if it takes a long time to bleed out. The caveat to that is sometimes they can be a ... bear... to find. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I have to agree with @UTC-10 on his observations regarding taking down a bear.  I've managed to kill a few bears and honestly can only think of 2 or three times that I've ever managed an one shot instakill.   I have however, managed to take a few down by shooting them multiple times from the same vantage point so time spent and distance traveled was minimal.  To this end, I have had the best luck in shooting him from a higher elevation, say looking down a steep embankment where you have both a straighter sight advantage and the element of surprise.  Also if you utilize a car for example you can shoot the bear, duck into the car avoiding being mauled and then after he is done tromping around being pissed, when he starts walking off, you jump out of the car and shoot him again.  It's a fun little dance that will keep your heart rate up!  

At any rate, good luck and happy hunting!

What I do is either use a bow to get a high-damage headshot followed up my rifle shots or hit the bear as much as I can with a rifle. If things go wrong, I bring my flare gun for emergencies. I don't have to wprry about running out of ammo now that ypu can craft it.

It can also help to only hunt a bear in a place where you know for a fact you can get away if it charges.  A car, tractor, fishing hut with a door--all of these are good ways to escape a charging bear.

Or if you have the nerves to do so, it's possible to run to the side just before the charging bear gets to you, and circle-strafe it until it eventually bleeds out and dies in front of you.

47 minutes ago, Bella98 said:

How do i kill old bear in wintermute?? About to give up on game...

where are you in the story?  Have you already been to the Hunting Lodge and found the rifle?  Since the game doesn't progress until you do, you can always do some side quests for the old man while you also take that time to craft a survival bow and some arrows.  I think there's just enough coal laying about the rail yard to get a good crafting session going and you can fabricate the necessary arrowheads.  Once your armed with bow n arrows, combined with the rifle, you just need to find a good vantage point and then ruin his day!

The Old Bear in Wintermute sounds like more of a story mode question.  Given that it is presumably a scripted part of the game I do not think that standard survival mode tactics would suffice against Old Bear.  Well, I haven't played Story mode, so I could be wrong and would defer to those who have. 

Killing bears used to be risky.  Now it’s total cake. 
Let’s take this step by step:

1)find bear

2) build a campfire in front of bear a ways ahead.
3) When he gets in range, shoot bear.  I usually aim for the head or just above it in the neck.  
4)stand still behind fire while bear charges

5)when he stops, standing there, shoot him again.  Make this one count: headshot if possible, try for an eye. 
6) either he drops dead or he runs off after this.  He won’t have much life left so track him!  He won’t go far before he bleeds out. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I've killed a bear in one bow shot only once.  Standing on a rock above as it passed by. It didn't see me. Don't know if that mattered or not. I also don't know where I hit it because I lost the arrow. Another time I put the only 5 arrows I had in a bear. I got too cold and tired so I went home for the night. I found him the next day and got all 5 arrows back. He wasn't very far from the scene but who knows how many laps around the map he made before croaking.

I've killed quite a few with one rifle shot.  Almost always standing next to a car as he walked toward me, either before or after he charges.

On a related note I found out you can kill a deer in one shot with the pistol. Crouch and wait for it to walk directly toward you. It will get really close before getting spooked. Bang!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got a one-hit-kill on a bear recently. I ran into him at the north end of TWM. He had me cornered on the high ground in the middle of the top of the map. There was a sloped tree downhill between us so I ran toward the bear to get up on the tree before he got to it. He agroed and reared up as I climbed out of reach and as he reared up I shot him in the underside of the head (in the throat?) with an arrow and he went down thud. I was quite surprised.

In principal I agree with the trend in these comments which is never hunt anything from a position of vulnerability. If you cannot ensure your safety, just walk the other way.

I did hunt a bear the other day without a campfire.  Pegged him with an arrow and hopped into a vehicle, repeat twice. Then he ran off.  I followed and when I caught up to him I pegged him again nowhere to hide.  He aggroed and charged.  Dropped him at ten paces with an arrow to the FACE! 
satisfying...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/8/2020 at 3:25 AM, ajb1978 said:

It can also help to only hunt a bear in a place where you know for a fact you can get away if it charges.  A car, tractor, fishing hut with a door--all of these are good ways to escape a charging bear.

Or if you have the nerves to do so, it's possible to run to the side just before the charging bear gets to you, and circle-strafe it until it eventually bleeds out and dies in front of you.

Is it really possible to save yourself by instant moving just before charge as you said? I wanted to correct it because, i'll try that and curious in advance.

On 5/17/2020 at 2:12 AM, Bean said:

1)find bear

3) When he gets in range, shoot bear.  I usually aim for the head or just above it in the neck.  

5)when he stops, standing there, shoot him again.  Make this one count: headshot if possible, try for an eye. 
6) either he drops dead or he runs off after this.  He won’t have much life left so track him!  He won’t go far before he bleeds out. 

it does a circle around the campfire and catch you anyway?

On 5/17/2020 at 7:12 AM, Bean said:

1)find bear

Nice, I didn't know this trick! Thanks buddy!

On 4/29/2020 at 2:03 AM, Jedirats said:

I really want to know how to kill a bear. 

Preferably not have it bleed out, but drop on first shot. 

Thanks. 

I recommend Even Darks Youtube channel for that. He has a technique with 2 fires in the bear cave and rarely takes more than 2 shots. Usually drops the bear where he wants.