Option to disable "Lost and Found"

OutdoorEnthusiast

I recently came back to the game after not playing since January and started an old save. When it loaded I noticed how almost everything in my base had been put in a "Lost and Found" box, and all of my outside caches had been moved also. This is the third time this have happend, and it's really annoying to spend multiple hours after each update just to reorganize all my stuff.

Would it be possible to implement an option to toggle the "Lost and Found" on and off?
It would make each update even better kowing I don't have to run around Great Bear looking for some red boxes.

Had something similar happen to me yesterday.  I like to play on the PS4 because it’s prettier, but when my game went to save during a sleep time, I got an error that the disc was out of memory space and the save aborted.  I closed the game and deleted some save files then tried to reload it.  Well it saved my character position in the game but reset everything in the world back to zero!  So my bed roll was gone, deer hide gone, coal in the cave had respawned, and as I explored the map a bit more I found it reset to pristinely untouched condition.  All loot was back in place and all caches wiped out.  

so maybe that’s a simulation of where you’d be without the Lost and Found boxes, except for the maps also reset to original condition.  
mhmm i wonder if there’s an exploit here.  Could you trigger such an aborted save on a “finished” game to reset all loot?  Seems possible.  

I don't relate to OP's sentiment... I think the Lost and Found boxes were a very good and important addition.  It might be inconvenient to when an update moves our stuff we set down... but it's far worse when those things just get obliterated.  Again, though, it really only comes into play when there is an update anyhow so I can't see much use in turning off that feature...   With an update there is always a risk of disrupting things a current save, I think it's better at least be able to recover those items.

:coffee::fire:
I'm not against things like that being optional via settings... but honestly I can't relate to the idea of wanting to loose your items rather than just go to a convenient box to pick them back up.  I don't follow that line of reasoning at all. 

• Upvote 1

As a hoarder who also organizes collections with a game that I've survived years in, no, I don't want my treasures to vanish. I'd much rather them poof into a Lost & Found box, because that means 1) I still have my treasures and 2) I get to organize them again.

Reorganizing is, after all, all there is to do when you're flush with moose meat.

If the game could differentiate between items I have placed and "lost" items, I would not have a problem with it. I just don't see how it's necessary for the Lost and Found boxes to activate when the last update were a hotfix that didn't change any of the regions at all. I can't remember it being common that small updates would delete your items before Lost and Found was added.

Well, better get back to reorganize my stuff. I also got a tour of Great Bear waiting!

The treatment of ruined raw, cooked, and canned food, all currently still valid food sources, is the most significant gripe I have about how lost and found functions.

Notwithstanding that there is a difference of opinion about the continued existence of ruined food, so long as the game allows ruined cooked and canned food to be consumed or allows ruined raw meat to be cooked, having lost and found put such items into the lost and found box which then destroys them per the ruined item (there are exceptions) in a container rule, it can be a minor, major, or catastrophic problem to a player.  It is something over which the player has not much control. 

Put food into a container to keep it where it is supposed to be and it disappears when it reaches 0% condition. Leave it out and it can get swept into a lost and found box and is destroyed.  A modification to the usual rule to require a positive action of the player putting a ruined item into a container to dispose of it would be of much help in this regard.

I otherwise have no big problems with lost and found, as such, though finding that the Broken Railroad regional lost and found box was at the tunnel from Forlorn Muskeg instead of outside the Maintenance shed was an unwelcome surprise. 

Lost and Found has its good points that, I think, outweigh the bad but one hopes that it might be tweaked a bit more to reduce the bad even more. 

• Upvote 1