Is your first rifle shot always a one-shot kill?

Willy Pete

This happened a while back where I started up a new Voyageur and found a moose near the Dam in ML. I setup a fire to stop him from charging, lined up a nice shot behind the shoulder and bang! He went down with a single shot. This was my first shot taken with the rifle on this playthrough and I was surprised to no end, having taken multiple shots to kill every other moose I've tangled with. So was it just really lucky RNG or is there something in the game where your first shot is always an instant kill?

20191221203305_1.jpg

20191221203311_1.jpg

Edited by Willy Pete
Pictures added

Nice shot is probably just what it was.  I don't think there's any particular association algorithm that randomly pops in gives a player a guaranteed one shot kill shot on the first shot taken after finding a rifle for the first time in a new game.  Because that would be pretty darn cool and good to know, right?

Although, I had something similar happen to me after I found a rifle in the cabin near the bear cave out on the ice on Coastal Highway.  In my case, I remember having already found two or more cleaning kits so I cleaned the rifle to 100% before I even got outside.  As I was trekking back to the gas station thru the mist I hear the bear nearby and as he charges me I crouch, aim and fire!  BOOM!!!  Drops like a sack of potatoes!  I was stunned to say the least.  Since then, I tired that same tactic a couple of times only to have been mauled subsequently.  on a side note, my most recent moose kill took 4 arrows and 3 pistol shots before he when down...

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2020 at 8:59 PM, piddy3825 said:

my most recent moose kill took 4 arrows and 3 pistol shots before he when down...

I was under the newbie assumption that the revolver can't damage a moose. I unloaded an entire clip into my first moose encounter & didn't even draw a drip of blood. Got mauled.

Am I wrong?

20 minutes ago, Sherri said:

I was under the newbie assumption that the revolver can't damage a moose. I unloaded an entire clip into my first moose encounter & didn't even draw a drip of blood. Got mauled.

Am I wrong?

you know, I'm not sure if that's true or not.  I can tell you however, all my revolver shots hit their target as I checked my pistol stats after each time I fired it.  Shots taken and wildlife hits matched each time.  So, if you're right, then I wasted three rounds and huge amount of time remaining precariously crouched on a rocky ledge while waiting for him to wander back into "range" of the revolver.  The irony would be, that the very last arrow in my possession was the one that killed him.  The one I didn't use all day because it was my last arrow. lol   I guess the next time I run across a moose and have the opportunity, I will only try to kill him using the pistol.

• Like 1