Blackrock Penitentiary as a Region

Willy Pete

Not sure if it's in the works or not, but my thoughts on it would be a large, central compound that's mostly collapsed from some mishap during The Event. There might be a couple sheds on the outskirts, all of it surrounded by a mostly-intact fence line and a wide-open area with a single road perpendicular to the facility. Wolves might patrol the ruins with plenty of frozen corpses on the outskirts. Perhaps some of these could have keys that would unlock rooms inside the facility itself, giving folks a reason to brave the lack of shelter for sweet loot.

Edited by Willy Pete
Minor semantics
  • Upvote 3

It's been an idea that's been kicking around for a long time.  I am definitely one of those who hopes we will get to see it one day.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

On 5/21/2019 at 12:00 AM, ManicManiac said:

I think it would nice if one day we could explore Blackrock Federal Penitentiary as a new region.

I mean, just imagine if we were looting inside the abandoned prison, and all of a sudden an aurora triggered the lock-down mechanisms  :D 
Tragic way to die...

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

It's been an idea that's been kicking around for a long time.  I am definitely one of those who hopes we will get to see it one day.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

I'm currently running stuff through my head on how it could be similar to BI with its maze run to get the good stuff. I was thinking the prison could be destroyed or otherwise not a transition zone with wolves patrolling throughout. It would be broken up into different sections, each of these separated by an "airlock" with two doors on each side where only one can be open at a time. You could access these doors during the Aurora, but if you don't get back out in time you're locked in there until the next Aurora. Maybe you would have to find codes for each door as well. At the end would be an armory with weapons, ammo, and good tier clothing items. It wouldn't be too hard to throw a blue color on the military gear items (jacket, pants, boots) and call them Police (item) while giving a percent or two extra of armor rating or whatnot. Additionally, the option to find a stab-proof vest as a new item would be another enticing factor for those that prefer armor and mobility.

I'm drawing up a map idea and will probably post another more-in depth look at this idea in a couple days.

EDIT: alternatively, the code for the armory is at the end of the prison maze run. Would make more sense that the Armory isn't part of the main prison, I don't know how prisons are built.

Edited by Willy Pete
EDIT
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, TheDevv said:

It is not overkill.The pen will have human enemies or something or a super hard animal(A monarch moose(Or a moose with big antlers) or a alpha wolf.Th pen in my mind the pen will be a police region lot of cars and guns in the pan the swat gear(wolf proof) reduction of moose damage(saves you from broken ribs if over 70 condition it will take cloth leather and nylon to repair(Nylon is already in the game(I am a moder btw)) In the middle will be the pen.There will the shotgun and the guns and a big ammount of ammo(My IDEA!!!)

I respectfully disagree, that doesn't fit with the popular mindset of the Long Dark's quiet apocalypse 

• Upvote 1

This had never occurred to me before but would make a great location, although it does reopen the often-discussed 'additional firearms' question (I'll just throw in a baton as self defence/ ice breaker/ emergency timber source)!

As a non-Canadian, reading this article was useful in terms of what any hypothetical in-game prison could look like:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_Canada

There are a few hints in Wintermute as to the level of offender that may be present on the island...

25 minutes ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

This had never occurred to me before but would make a great location, although it does reopen the often-discussed 'additional firearms' question (I'll just throw in a baton as self defence/ ice breaker/ emergency timber source)!

As a non-Canadian, reading this article was useful in terms of what any hypothetical in-game prison could look like:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_Canada

There are a few hints in Wintermute as to the level of offender that may be present on the island...

I'm taking inspiration from Alcatraz for the design, but I'll take a look at that article. I do agree that there are enough weapons. The idea is that the Armory had a fire during the event. Any non-TLD weapons were slagged but you might still find a couple rifles and/or revolvers and ammo that escaped the blaze.

This idea would be interesting for modded hunting rifle (basically different looking Lee) or shotgun.

Nice troll would be if you can find damaged military grade rifle, but because there is no ammo for it, you just can scrap it for metal.

• 1 month later...

You ought to get entry to those doors all through the Aurora, however if you do not get back out in time you are locked in there till the following Aurora. Maybe you will have to locate codes for each door as properly. At the stop would be an armory linesheet software with weapons, ammo, and exact tier clothing items. It would not be too difficult to throw a blue colour on the navy tools items (jacket, pants, boots) and contact them Police (item) even as giving a percentage or two extra of armor rating or whatnot.