Arrows and Arrowheads

Raelik

The ability to produce arrowheads with alternative means, like for example there's an abundance of recycled cans, and there is a method to use a tin can lid to make an arrowhead.

Theres plenty of stones and these can be knapped and used as arrowheads then these can be fixed to the shaft with a sewing kit or cured animal guts.

Introduce a glass material (bottles would be best) and these also can be knapped into a sharp object.

If knapping was introduced it could open the possibility to last longer in the game and maybe get a better start in some cases as this would enable people (of course there would be failures at the beginning) to get knives, axes and arrowheads in the most simplest way.  To make it evened as it is a game, these hand crafted items could have a shorter lifespan or higher failure rate for usage for example.

The knapping skill would be something to extend the game.👍

In all though, this game is amazing. Trying to drag myself away to do other videos of game on YouTube, but I can't stop playing TLD.... LoL😂

• Upvote 1

As mentioned in many past discussions (I recommend the search function - there's a lot of good discussion around those topics already)...

This idea would severely skew the balance they've achieved with weapons so far.  I would go into a lot of details, but I have already in previous posts and I just don't have time to hunt them all down now.

:coffee::fire:
They are interesting ideas, but I do think it would destabilize the risk/reward balance when it comes to crafting.  So all in all, I'm not in favor of the idea.  I like the systems, resources, and crafting requirements just fine the way they are.

I think even cheaper/easier arrowheads and cutting tools would cheapen the over all experience too, and I am never in favor of that.

• Upvote 1

So even if the condition deteriorated a lot faster, it would (in your opinion) destabilise the game?

I just don’t see it, if other, better acquired tools would last longer and be easier to build. Knapping is not a skill you learn immediately. It would be something you would fail at right away.

I just keep seeing all these opportunities within the game to expand it and enable a game to branch out.

Simple, arrows with pointed wooden tip would be great. Cuz you can craft bow and ammo right in deserted areas.

Simple wooden arrow would be single use, except you hit the animal. Then it will be 50 %, so one arrow can be used twice if you can aim properly. Not much very efective in long run. So isnt OP.

• Upvote 1

The is what I'm meaning. You use stones to knock out rabbits, a very primitive thing really. It could have worse accuracy in flight for example. like the chance to start a fire with reclaimed wood is pretty poor, it could be the same for primitive weapons and tools.

We have the intelligence and skill to produce bullets (and at the start to the story you have a knife from a random piece of metal from the plane (yes I know is story driven)) but we don't have anything to make the most basic of tools with no furnace?

I honestly don't see it cheapening the current tools though, it would make them appear more powerful at least.

I can't see the problem this suggestion solves.

On difficulties below Interloper, arrowheads are a common spawn on every map. They often can be found next to deer carcasses and harvested to craft new arrows with cured birch saplings. Having alternative means to craft these simply dilutes the loot table more, without meaningfully changing the gameplay.

On Interloper, ranged weapon access is gated by your ability to forge. The difficulty is implicit by design, meaning any additional means of crafting arrowheads is fundamentally altering the difficulty curve of the game. Currently, you require a heavy hammer and forge to make arrowheads in Interloper (barring very rare spawns such as in HRV). Making arrowheads with glass or wood removes the need for a heavy hammer and a forge run, drastically altering how hard it is to reach the point where you can take down big game on Interloper.

I can't say I'd support changing Interloper gameplay to 'easy mode' by removing forging as a prerequisite for arrowhead creation. And by extension, there isn't really any need for making arrows in other difficulty modes given how commonly they appear on the maps.