The Forgotten Scrawlings of a Semi-Noob

Catlover

This is my first thing on a forum, so don't expect much. 

This will be most likely a collection of stupid mistakes, death and sheer stupidity. If you like laughing at people's failures on TLD, then I hope you will like this.

I will be trying a made up challenge that I call the Sun To Snow Challenge. Let me explain about it a little.

To sum it up, it will be on Voyager level, with the weather things as high as humanly possible, apart from blizzards that are at a sad medium. I cannot stay more than a day in a man made structure. I'm not good at surviving outdoors, so this will be immensely helpful, as I frequently die and learn at the same time! 

I am starting in Mountain Town. I won't spend long there, trying to move around the island whist playing hide and seek with those who seem intent on my demise. 

I'll try update daily but no promises. 

I play on Xbox so unless one of you know how to take screenshots on it, I'll be unable to have some, which makes me mildly disappointed.

Await the first attempt later on today!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Catlover said:

Ignore this. I put it on accidentally and it won't go.

I'll write down my previous attempt, basically because I have nothing else to do. I started in HRV because I fancied a challenge. Turns out it was too much of a challenge! 

The Failed Attempt of STS

I land in an unknown area. Pretty easy to do that, as literally everywhere is unknown as I have never entered there before.

I head off into the unknown, now I have Frozen II in my head, and almost instantly find Two Step Falls, I think that it was called. It was beautiful but I had more important things, like actually staying alive, to do, so I stopped gazing at it and moving onward towards a woodland.

It parted abrubtly, showing a ravine with a rope at the other end. Becoming my inner mountain goat, I climbed down and slid down the snowy dune. Fun times, am I right. 

Getting down unscathed was rather easy and I climbed the rope, wanting out of the ravine. 

The wind noticed me having a pretty easy time and got cross, picking up alarmingly and sending clouds speeding across overhead. I predicted a blizzard, picking up sticks and searching for possible shelters.

A noise spooked me and I crouched beside a rock, assuming that it was our notorious furry friends. When all was quiet, I got out and saw a bear heading away from me. How I confused a bear with a wolf, I do not know. 

Moving away, I saw a bunny or two having a good time. Getting some rocks, I hit the wrong button, still adapting to Xbox controls, sending a rock flying towards the bunnies. It hit one by sheer luck, but it got up by the time I had arrived. My food on me was actually great (Jerky, granola bar and a tin of sardines) so I didn't mind. 

I kill a bunny almost instantly after losing the others, giving me unintended paranoia as I seemed to douse myself in a slight stench of dead meat. The latest fragrance for predators.

The sun was descending as the temperature dropped, bringing my warmth to near nothing. I set up camp by a rock providing shelter from the biting wind and lit a fire on my second time. Mid roasting the rabbit meat and boiling more water, I headed away to find a few more sticks as the blizzard closed in. I put in all of my precious 45+ sticks, only to lose the flame when the wind changed direction and the snowfall turned into a full on whiteout. So I got up and legged it to a better location, realising too late that I had left my tin can behind. I knew that I would soon die of thirst, but it never came to that. 

I appeared to have turned a half circle, the blizzard still masking my vision. My inner mountain goat gone, I plummeted off of the cliff as I didn't see it until it came up to meet me.

Didn't even survive 24 hours.

• Upvote 1

Night 1

I arrive near a trailer, so a decent start. Downside? It's midnight, so I stumble blindly around, miraculously finding it in a short amount of time. As I arrive, the noise of footprints makes me freeze, my heartbeat quickening to a speed that can't be healthy. As the sound grows louder, a beast runs right in front of me. Instant death? An unpreventable struggle?

No. Just a deer that scares the bejeezus out of me. I don't hesitate to open the door, greeted by darkness. Safe darkness.

I waste two matches searching for a bed, and rest for an hour before playing cards until I can see. I get out, greeted by fog. 

Day 1

Sighing, I light a fire in a nearby barrel to get a little water and pass the time. The fog clears slightly and I get going, praying to the TLD gods that no wolves ambush me. 

Checking a nearby car, I find food and a hunting knife. Pretty good.

I see St Christopher's Church and loot the place. I find basic stuff and....A hunting rifle! The gods love me, so far. I start another fire, as the dreaded Hypo comes to say 'hi'. Feeling extra lucky, I eat low quality sardines and actually survive. Then I simply  fix my clothing slightly before checking outside. 

The weather was clear, so I begin walking, checking for wolves with noticeable paranoia.

I notice around three nearby vehicles and quickly get in them and see what I can find, putting the visors down like every good survivor.

Wood matches and cloth in a truck. 

My thirst is empty, and the wind is picking up a lot. I loot a second car and run back to the church, promising to search the others later.

Inside the church, I try to light the fire, praying that it'll work. After two wasted matches, it lights. I boil water at sonic speed and play cards until the wind hopefully dies down. 

It does, and I search the others quickly as night slowly falls. I don't want to spend long in the church, but camping with rubbish clothes is pretty much suicidal. 

Milton is not far, so I could walk to Grey Mother's. I consider it, checking the time. Eventually, I decide to go.

Holy Guacamole, the gods are shining down on me. I now have what I call, the Big Three. Hatchet, rifle and knife. I'm all set, hopefully! Gearwise, anyway. Wolves, look out!

Grey Mother's was a good call, closer than I had remembered. Getting inside, I get what I can find in minimal daylight before collapsing into a warm bed.

Day 2

I wake up, dehydrated and starving. An orange pop solves it, for the time being.

I begin murdering curtains, the wind instantly changing. I can't tell if it's a full on whiteout or strong wind like the previous day. Either way, it doesn't matter as I am indoors and warm. Well, as warm as it gets in Canada.

Grey Mother's is huge, and I have decided to trash the rule of no indoors, for a short while.

I find good stuff, including an apparently invisible cardboard box. Not complaining.

I also spy a sneaky soda behind a cloth and snag that, proud of myself for spotting it. 

I finish upstairs, thinking to myself ''Man, Voyager is easy' But remember that the slightest thing can ruin your day. *Cough* Wolf attack *cough*

It may sound weird, but my most valuable possession, to me, is a cooking pot. 

Not a rifle.

Not a hatchet.

A cooking pot. Nothing brings me the same level of relief as one of those. Finding one, I do a mental happy dance and then resume searching the cabinets.

I break down Grey Mother's cloth by the rocking chair, feeling like she's going to shoot me like I always feel. It has yet to happen, however.

I finish up and sort my inventory as night closes in, and fall asleep listening to the still roaring winds.

• Upvote 1

Night 3

I wake around ten or so, dehydrated and starving with only 60% or so condition remaining. I am unsure of what to do, so attempt to go downstairs and place some 2% rabbit meat outside, as cooking it had slipped my mind.

Giving up quickly, I reluctantly play cards, wasting calories as daylight slowly arrives.

Day 3

There appears to be a blizzard outside, so I go and look quickly.

There was a small blizzard. Enough to make me think about going out, but not enough to stop me.15874947193631139055832.thumb.jpg.7884908816d26aec2a1478b2567413dd.jpg(I apologize for the poor quality) 

I pelt to the credit union, aware of how many wolfies call this place home. I begin searching around, without delay.

I found pretty mediocre stuff, finding mainly tinder and such. Always handy, though! 

I open a safe and find a book and flare shell. Who even stores them in a safe?

I drink a bit of coffee found in a microwave, wondering how it is still edible. How recent was the geomagnetic thingy?

Afterwards, I begin fixing my clothes, before heading outside into the blizzard that seemed to have died down.

Next stop, the post office. I arrive just as the wind starts to pick up again, beginning to regret having the variability so high. No time for regrets, however. I quickly loot the area.

In a moment, I have finished and have to brave the outdoors one again. 

Thirsty and immensely encumbered, I reach a nearby cabin and repeat the procedures of searching and taking all that I can before chucking stuff I can live without and getting rid of my encumbrance.

I leave after finding nothing but a lonely newsprint. I ought to place something at the door, but I'm too lazy to retrieve anything from inside, leaving and entering a nearby truck and getting absolutely zilch. Well, I find ragged driving gloves, but I ignored it.15874968725931481429970.thumb.jpg.2c89e24b61a2c89ab598ac07f742e452.jpg

Beautiful Weather (Again, sorry about the quality)

The wind picks up in a few moments, and I decide to just find a cabin and stay for the night, as I'm exhausted already.

The cabin has no bed or stove, but it'll do. Setting down my bedroll, I read a little of Wilderness Kitchen, before desperately needing sleep.

Night 4

I rest for five hours, just so I don't wake starving, before falling back asleep after a chocolate bar. Yummy midnight feast.

• Upvote 1