All wheel drive vehicles and crafting suggestions

autonomous

Even though the premise of the says all vehicles and electronics are dead there should be all wheel drive vehicles and probably snow mobiles. People who live in the land of Ice and snow are more likely to have a vehicle that can handle an unplowed roads. By all means leave them broken but SUVs and pickup trucks seems like an important detail. Probably switch some of the compact commuter car models to all wheel drive vehicles better represent what you would find.

As for snow mobiles, again leave them broken. Maybe put a small cargo box or bag on the back. But it's the kind of thing you would expect to find if the roads freeze over every year.

One other thought is that you should be able to use tools to harvest parts from vehicles for crafting. Nut's, bolts, scrap metal, wires and cables. If Implemented have it be a targeted harvest like with searching for fire wood but with a limit of how many parts you can get out of each vehicle. Mechanical parts seem like they would be important for more elaborate large animal traps (less humane stuff like spiked dead falls, leg hold traps, pig sick traps, bow traps) or other things that might come up as the crafting system develops

Edit because some of you aren't reading the post TL;DR Leave all vehicles broken, change vehicle models to trucks and SUVs

-1 to all this. (snow-)vehicles are op and destroy the setting imo.

There is a reason why you can't use them.

Tho i admit travelling long distances can be boring. Rafts which can be build to ride rivers would be nice.

The suggestion was to leave the vehicle inoperable, but substitute the current models for models more likely to be found in this setting (Subaru, I'm looking at you).

I think it's a good idea. Maybe a broken down snow plow along a road as well.

Yeah it certainly would make sense to see more trucks/awd vehicles. I definitely would expect to see some at least, instead of the none you run into currently. As others have said it definitely does seem like hinterland has plans for the vehicles beyond how they are implemented right now.

@pikkue and Loppysaurusrex

Not what I was suggestion.

TL;DR Leave all vehicles broken, change vehicle models to trucks and SUVs

Even snowmobiles should be broken and only there to pick over for parts or loot.

OH, so then I dont care as a car is a car.

+1, some variety is always nice.

OT however, we know all electronics are broken, but doesn't this technically mean old diesel engines could still work (if you figured out a way to get the engine block warm enough for ignition that is)?

(Please note this isn't a suggestion, I was just thinking out loud.)

OT however, we know all electronics are broken, but doesn't this technically mean old diesel engines could still work (if you figured out a way to get the engine block warm enough for ignition that is)?

(Please note this isn't a suggestion, I was just thinking out loud.)

Interesting point!

I have suggested this before, many times, long ago, but the point of the game is that technology is no longer feasible (for whatever reason) the game centers around your wits, skill and the sheer determination to survive. Although yes, Diesel engines work using a compression-ignition sequence, instead of an electrically induced spark, and you can push start them, it does take away from the "zero technology- you versus the wilderness" aspect.

So although it would work in theory, it wouldn't bring anything to the game, and would detract from its main appeal.

Archived