Dog sled for transportation?

Kingkushinton

Hello my name is Kush here me out and please give feed back suggestions or at least let me know wat u think but I was thinking of a balanced way u could add transportation to the game u could do a dog sled maybe at a key place on the map maybe like mountain town farm u can find two dogs and have an accept or not accept button when u accept the now need to be fed and watered in order to not die...... in the barn there's a broken dog sled u must fix and not easy to do either lots of wood and gut to repair........  the dogs serve no purpose but the sled itself so add no other bonuses and yes makes travel easier but will not be easy to sustain and wonse the dogs are gone they are gone so someone who tries to get it to early will most likely loss the ability for their late game make specific tansittion trails l....long trails not be confused with foot paths so u will probably not make the transition on these trails on foot unless equipped for it  u can make it so it doesn't work well on rough terrain and ur not climbing hills with a two dog. Sled just to make nomadding and transporting meat and items late game to different spots and making a trip for broken railroad to desolation point not a trip that takes half ur food supply  wat do u guys think would appreciate feed back

On 10/26/2019 at 1:26 AM, ManicManiac said:

I would just recommend using the search function a little bit, this way you can get some idea of what's been discussed in the past.  It's not bad to resurrect ideas, but it's better if you have something new to add or a different take on what's been discussed before.  Sometimes the best way to know, is to look up what's been posted in the past to gain more background on what you want to talk about.  I try to do this before posting any ideas, that way I know I'm not just re-treading familiar territory (so to speak).

On 3/21/2020 at 1:24 AM, ManicManiac said:

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Here are just a few of the those conversations (I didn't want to have to just repeat them - there are many more and can be found using the search function)
Random Things...
Cargo Sled...
Basic Craftables...
Sleds, Husky's...
Sled Crafting...

Edited by ManicManiac

I mean I get it and I appreciate the links but I have looked at previous post why I put ways u can balance unlike may I have seen that just ask just thought I'd put my twist of balance on the sled been a player since day one on PlayStation but again I really do appreciate the links but want to keep thread on topic ya know

@Kingkushinton
Very well, my opinions on the idea are contained in a lot of those past threads I was talking about... so I suppose I will echo it again here.  The reason I just wanted to link to them was so I didn't have to repeat myself again... but I certainly can if you like:

On 1/31/2020 at 2:42 AM, ManicManiac said:

You are correct that these ideas have been discussed before, but I don't think it's bad to revisit those ideas from time to time.  The sled (or pole-drag as you called it) has been addressed as a particular challenge to implement.

[text removed for brevity]

In both cases they're interesting ideas to think about.  However, I do rather like that we have to carefully consider how much we lug around with us and the risks of "loading up heavy" when moving things from place to place.  I feel like those limitations cause a player to have make important decisions on what's really necessary or worth the risk.  I think it also prompts us to consider our options more carefully before caching large amounts of supplies in any given location (our base camps, if you will). 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

On 10/22/2019 at 3:07 AM, ManicManiac said:

As previously mentioned, it has been discussed at great lengths.  I don't think it was shutdown per se, but the general consensus seems to be that it would be a very tricky mechanic in some places... loads of assets, animations, coding integration...

It's a neat idea, but ultimately it seems like maybe the "juice isn't worth the squeeze" (to turn a phrase).

On 5/6/2019 at 7:03 PM, ManicManiac said:

Well it still raises a couple of potential implementation problems... the physics of a sled (crafted or improvised doesn't really mater), models and mechanics for dragging it/interacting with it, how to handle terrain (like steep slopes for example), and how to handle various other unique situations - like what does the player do when they are dragging a sled but they need to cross a narrow fallen tree trunk (natural bridge)?  What happens to the sled during and after an attack from wolf, bear, or moose?

I mean having a sled to tow generally sounds like a good idea that's been on the wish lists for a long time... but I think there are just a lot of things that would have to go into the implementation that make it a much bigger task to add than it may seem.

:coffee::fire:
In short, I'm not in favor of the idea... mostly because I think that having to make careful decisions about what's worth lugging around (vs what we can do without... vs what we can leave behind because it's better to just come back for it when it's needed) makes working within those limits a richer experience in terms of having to work out our strategies for both short and long term survival.

If I'm being completely honest with you, I think that the way you describe it would do more to take away from that experience.

(That's just my opinion, I'm not condemning your idea... I just think it would take away much more than it would add)

Edited by ManicManiac

Yes but that's the drag sled I mean a dog sled pulled by two dogs that u would have to maintain condition on in addition to ur own thirst and hunger needs and the transition between zones that are blocked would have transition paths specifically designed for the sleds I also stated that's the sled would not interact with steep slopes as in u put a simple ivisble boundary on any slope to steep that is only in effect while in ur sled so adds all the balance ur saying of wat gear to bring we're and when u wouldn't just be hoarding food and fire wood on sled for u u would have to ration between ur two dogs as well and it's a two dog sled not a car ur not bringing ur whole base with u so don't see the problem in this sled that ur stating with a simple drag sled

There are a lot of collateral issues that crop up and that have to be dealt with either within existing game mechanics, changed game mechanics,  or newly introduced game mechanics.   A concept may sounds easy but implementation and the consequences of implementation require a lot of thought and consideration.  It is almost never as easy as it might seem especially when talking about something new. 

Same basic problem as with a sled if not more so because the animal is "alive" and the player now becomes responsible not only for himself but for another MOB that is going to be largely dependent on his actions.  The developers would still have to address a host of collateral and related issues to the animal's existence, survival, utility value, interaction with the environment, and how that affects the player as well as what responsibilities the player will have to accept and carry out as well as consequences we may not quite imagine just yet.  

I don't honestly know if it would fit with the theme. Sure, everyone wants a fluffy doggo, especially when stranded, but it would break the solitary theme. 

Like @ManicManiacand @UTC-10stated, it would take a long time to make and just wouldn't be worth it. 

I do like the idea, but it just doesn't work with TLD.

Edited by Catlover