Would Co-Op even work for TLD??

Guest kristaok

Guest kristaok

Green Hell is releasing 4 player Co-Op in a few days... it got me thinking I know HL has no plans to add Co-Op... but couldn't they? I mean if Green Hell is releasing it, why can't HL?

1. Unlike Green Hell Long Dark world is pretty much more dead and abadoned. So it probably would not fit the atmosphere.

2. Also its a lot of work. See point 4.

3. Impossible task to cooperate time handling/skipping due actions. How you skip time due sleeping when your bro is awake? Same with AI, or location handling.

4. Their engine is pretty bare bone version, without any multiplayer extensions. They use carefully modded engine with basic elements for one player. Hardcoded and designed for one player experience.

5. And i dont want trollers and griefers in this game. So thank you but i rather die alone than watching memes. And hell no for PVP deathmatches with bows, revolvers on SMLEs. Or battle royale.

6. Lack of servers, HL wont burn money for server room handling those sessions.

7. I dont have any friends to play with. Its so nice.

Edited by Moll
  • Upvote 1

Guest kristaok

Yea I usually only do co - op over mmo's, I can't stand playing with trolls... sadly for any multiplayer game there's a chance for ppl trying to ruin ones fun. :/ 

About the only way you could get around time dilation is to have accelerated actions only affect that one player.  So in the case of a hypothetical multiplayer TLD, if you sleep for 6 hours, you would wake up and the sun wouldn't have budged an inch.  However you would have spent calories and recovered fatigue as if you had slept 6 hours.

Immersion breaking, but in terms of mechanics, doable. This would have some exploit potential, such as being able to harvest an entire moose in the warmest part of the day.  However the nights would be brutal, as there is no way to pass the time.  So you'd either have to wait out the night in real-time (which would suck), or you'd need some system where all players have to agree on accelerated time passage.

So yeah again, doable, but inherently janky.

Guest kristaok

I know in stardew valley every player has to accept to go to bed and start a new day, if they don't a new day starts anyway.