Why is the bear so fast?

Dahart

I think the point is that you can't escape from the bear, once you are seen. And yes, it's a bear, a big bear, and in theory should be faster than a human. The only way to get rid is shooting him, I guess. And you can scare him and, if you're lucky, kill him and have meat to eat :).

He's fast but takes corners like a box truck.  If you can get a tree or something between you and the bear, you can actually outmaneuver him.  I've even managed it without a tree by turning 90 degrees and sprinting a few steps, and locking him into a circle-strafe dance.  By itself this isn't much help (unless you can dart from tree to tree and eventually reach a door or car), but if you have a weapon it can buy you just enough time to get a shot off as he's turning for another pass.

Four legs aren't better or worse. There are tradeoffs. Four legs have much better stability, for one.

Also to kinda relate a few of the comments, humans may be slower when sprinting short distances, but we can eventually outrun anything(minus maybe an elephant?). Part of this is efficient movement, part sweat. Probably some other things I don't know.