Ressources endless?

Dahart

@Dahart

In my experience, just about everything in the game is "renewable" thanks to the beachcombing mechanic. 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Granted it's not likely you will find what you are looking for when you go beachcombing... but I've seen everything from meds to ammunition (and just about everything in between) wash up from time to time.

Edited by ManicManiac

Out of curiosity, what is beachcombing exactly?

I'm currently running a casual Pilgrim (perhaps it is Voyager) and have come to think about what will run out first and how to plan for it.

Becoming "all natural" is my goal, but with the whetstone eventually being gone (together with sowingkits), together with all metals I figured there is no way to stay in game forever just using natural resources? I know it would take a long time, probably longer than I would ever have time for, but still...

Currently at some 300 days in using everyday to explore, gather, sort and plan. Funny how this sandbox survival mode has a firm grip on my gaming soul... :)

Edited by Bromstarzan

There are maps like Coastal Highway or Desolation Point where is sea shore. The shore is on Bleak Inlet as well. But I am not sure if the beachcombing is possible here. The beachoming is simply watching the shore time to time (no point of sitting on the shore). And sometimes there is an item washed out from the sea on the shore. But be aware. It can be on thin ice so you have to sprint there, take it and sprint back. Some do it naked in order to prevent clothing to be soaked.

You can check https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/Beachcombing to learn what could be found. Not sure if the list is complete or it is list of items which were found by people.

And be carefull. Permadeath is lurking there.

Edited by acada

On 3/31/2020 at 12:07 PM, Dahart said:

I've seen people posting about playing survival mode for hundreds of ingame days.

Do resources like matches, coal, reishi mushrooms respawn after a while?

Matches - No.  Coal - Yes.  Mushrooms - No. 

Depending upon your difficulty and your resourcefulness, you can easily go over 1,000 days.

So no more matches at some point huh? That definitely puts an end to it. I know there are firestrikers, but they cannot be repaired. Lens only works in good weather and when do you need a fire? Exactly, in bad cold weather 😮

Whetstones? There is a self-made knife, but no self-made hatched afaik. So no more sapling chopping -> no arrows or bow anymore.

When you have no matches and firestriker, you can can use flare as last resort. But you should be fine even with magnifying lense. Sunny days will be renamed to cooking days. And without fire... You need to have some shelter nearby. Days without sun will be for gathering fuel.

For tools. You can make a improvised knife and hatched as well. There is an achievment when you do it in Rikken. Dont forget there is a saw as well. You need a toolbox (the red one is better :D ) to repair it and scrap metal to repair the toobox. Now with Bleak Inlet the aurora can help you to repair your tools as well. Of course you need scrap metal.

• 1 month later...

IME beach-combing is best for fuel (including reclaimed wood) and fish. I'm actually working on a master list (https://tinyurl.com/y7qyr5n7), in the meantime here's a list of all the eternally renewable items:

Can always harvest by hand

• birch bark > prepared birch bark, tinder
  • sticks, branches > tinder
  • stones
  • coal

Might require a tool to harvest

• wildlife > meat, hides, guts (requires knife/hatchet/saw if too frozen to harvest by hand)
  • tree limbs > logs (requires hatchet)
  • snow > water (requires can/cooking pot)

On 4/3/2020 at 1:29 AM, Dahart said:

So no more matches at some point huh? That definitely puts an end to it. I know there are firestrikers, but they cannot be repaired. Lens only works in good weather and when do you need a fire? Exactly, in bad cold weather 😮

Whetstones? There is a self-made knife, but no self-made hatched afaik. So no more sapling chopping -> no arrows or bow anymore.

there is a crafted hatchet too.  and there are plenty of sunny days to start fires, early at dawn and sunset, cook a boatload when you can, and have a big water boil.  i never use matches on my loper runs, knowing how limited they are, i hoard them 

I've got a run currently on around day 800, and I have used probably something like 24 matches the entire time.  Most of those were because I just got sick of waiting for a sunny day.  While it would be realistic to cook your food right before you eat it, brew tea right when you want to drink it, etc. in this game pretty much everyone eventually starts cooking all their meat in advance and leaving it outside in the snow.  Boiling up all your coffee and tea and bottled water and shoving it in a cupboard.  That sort of thing.  So once you get a stash of meat and water handy, you can go hunting before you run out of food, then toss the raw meat in the snow until a sunny day when you can get a free fire with the mag lens.  At that point, matches become rather irrelevant, and really only used to light a torch as a wolf repellent.

As for other things like scrap metal, cloth, and cured leather, these respawn via beachcombing as has been mentioned above.  But there's a ridiculous amount of scrap metal and scrap cloth to be found in the world as it is already if you break everything down. Well over 1800 scrap metal and 1200 cloth if you're diligent about searching and destroying.  Technically cured leather is also renewable, although it's expensive.  Craft a moosehide satchel, and you can harvest the satchel for 1 cured leather.  The one thing I'm not sure on is firearm ammunition. I haven't taken inventory of my stash at Bleak Inlet yet (I should probably get on that) but I have the capacity to produce around 300-400 rounds of ammunition if my memory serves correctly.  And while that's a lot, it certainly isn't infinite.  And I'm not sure if gunpowder or lead crafting supplies wash up via beachcombing.  So presently the only ammunition that I know is renewable are arrows, because the occasional birch sapling washes up.  Maple too, for replacement bows.

This all adds up to this fact: You can survive indefinitely, if you manage your resources correctly.

• Upvote 1