Binoculars

AlooshiManooshi

There have been many times where I have mistaken a rock for a wolf or I just wanted to admire this beautiful game from a high hill or watchtower. Binoculars would be a great addition to see far away objects a little better. Btw thank you for making this amazing game, I enjoy it so very much.

• Upvote 2

The game doesn't render well at long distance. The far away places switch into more of a sight seeing mode that shows bulk textures and other regions aren't loaded at all. Notice I said shows. As far as I can tell everything loaded and running everywhere in your region so, it wouldn't take much on hinterlands end to remedy this problem. They just seem to be worried about making the game to difficult to run so, their holding back on certain assets.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RegentRelic said:

The game doesn't render well at long distance.

I tried the binocular mod for a bit, and it wasn't appealing at all. The novelty wore off in less than 10 minutes. It's one of those things that a lot of players want in theory, similar to jumping, but it ends up that you imagine it to work differently than it actually does...and there is no need for it in the game.  

• Upvote 1

On 6/9/2019 at 1:39 AM, ManicManiac said:

Binoculars: I don't really see much need for them in this game... I always try to express that a sense of vulnerability is part of the flavor of this game.  I would hate to ever feel like I was really safe.  I rather like it as it is... you have to travel cautiously and move deliberately.  Being able to spot danger easier, instead of keeping your wits about you would take something away from this game that I would very much like to keep.

On 6/9/2019 at 2:13 AM, ManicManiac said:

...once again it goes back to that feeling of vulnerability, I think is part of the heart of this game... and getting turned around and lost is a part of that.  Now those of us who have play enough on each map - it's nearly impossible for them to get lost nowadays. But still, some of the best moments in the game for me were getting lost and having to get creative in how to orient myself and get my bearings.  We don't need binoculars for that :)  Use sun rise and sun set... you can see pretty much any land mark from most distances as long as you have a line of sight.  Binoculars won't really help with any of that.  A lot of the fun for me has always been exploring... and being able to scout from a distance... while perhaps handy, would take away from some of the danger of traveling and I wouldn't be in favor of that.

:coffee::fire:

Edited by ManicManiac

I was just about to suggest this when i saw this topic. I like this!

Deciding where to go and if its worth going there is important if you make your way in an undiscovered area (is there cave for shelter, is this a backpck on the ground etc.?)

Also, its good to see the bear first before the bear sees you :)