The Bleak Inlet problems? [warning spoilers]

Bromstarzan

Hi gentlemen and ladies!

I've waited 6 nights next to the code-door for an Aurora to appear.

So far a few bright starry nights, but mostly very cold snow storms and a lot of time on my hands. I guess I have 40 litres of water sitting next to my bedroll :) I don't mind waiting it out, but would like to check on you guys if it is "normal" to wait over a week?

Cheers and take care in these unusual times!

/Broms

Edited by Bromstarzan

In most regions the aurora will appear on average once a week.  Of course you can get it two nights in a row, and you can go a couple weeks without a single aurora, depending on RNG.  But the average is once a week. 

Pleasant Valley is an exception.  The aurora occurs remarkably less frequently there, on account of the frequent blizzards.  Try collecting all the buffer memories sometime--the disparity between aurora frequency in PV and vs. other region is overwhelming.

• Upvote 1

It seems to be random.  When I was in Bleak Inlet in my Pilgrim sandbox (so Timberwolves were not a problem), the aurora seemed to happen very regularly and some times several nights in a row.  So it looked like every few days. 

Then I left Bleak Inlet, eventually ended up in Coastal Highway and, with much preparation, went into the Cinder Hills aurora annex where I would then spend 19 or 20 days waiting for the next aurora so I could get out. Generally, the aurora tended to occur at least weekly. 

Good luck.

Many thanks fellas!

So, I'll just hang in there, I'm on the good statistical side now 😁

Hopefully the Aurora is just around the corner. Meanwhile, I should use daytime for cartography. Very pleased to hear you have different experiences, and also that a week or more is not unusual.

Cheers,

Broms

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Not sure if this helps, but I always stay based in the Pensive Lookout when waiting to go on the Cannery opening mission.  I've only had to wait for a few days usually.  Maybe just lucky, but up there I hunt and gather wood and try to time out my resting to give me night time hours being awake.  You'll have to rope climb down and deal with the glowing wolves, but a flare gun will show em who's boss.  Not as a killing weapon, but more like a concussion bomb to get them to panic for a bit.*

*I've not tried this on Interloper.  😬 🐺🐺🐺 🐺

8 hours ago, Bromstarzan said:

So, day 26 and still no aurora... Will I ever get into the pier workshop? . . .

That seems exceptional and statistically unlikely.  I had a long wait, probably around 6 or 7 days.

I wonder if you, or I, have misunderstood something about your problem?  Do you have the code and have you spend 26 days by that door and digital lock and not had an aurora?

I got sick and tired (litterally 😄) when waiting it out close to the pier. Had my base over at the cannery cabins (fish available). I did take a trip to Forlorn around day 16-17 just to see if I could trigger the aurora coming back to the Inlet. But not so. Yes, I have the code since day one waiting. There must be something else I'm missing or a bug - or just plain unluck with the skies 😉. I sort of stopped playing survival now because I'm getting frustrated by the door with the code-lock. I think I have now 80-90 bottles of water sitting there at least 😂.

Some  day I'll get back into the Cannary and hopefully be able to unlock the door.

Thank you all Gents & Ladies for feedback! I'll hang in there a bit more, before I move on to another area (giving up on Inlet).

Edited by Bromstarzan

Sorry to hear that. It makes my 6 day waiting nothing in comparison. But hey, at least you are not trapped by aurora in tha mine at Coastal Highway. Any chance you will be selling potable water in Bleak Inlet? My character is going to hange around in few days. :D

• 1 month later...

So again, trying to get into the workshop. I start to wonder if I really have triggered the things I need?

I have the Communication report saying the Code 154 should be used down at the workshop. Is there anything else I need to go about?
All good all lost fellows on Bear Island!

Edited by Bromstarzan

Seems like a bad string of luck there.  I didn't spend my time waiting at the cannery when I was looking to get in.  I just hung out at the workers cabin near the fallen lighthouse.  That way I could fish and stuff or otherwise be productive.  As long as you are awake and ready to go when night falls, it's a short walk to the cannery, and you will have plenty of time (most of the time) to get there and open it up.  Waiting at the cannery uses up too many resources without accomplishing anything for my liking.  On the bright side once it's open you won't need to do it again.  Oh you want to use the milling machine... :D

On 8/3/2020 at 5:09 AM, acada said:

I think the door code is neccessary to trigger aurora. You need to retrieve it first. Then you go to cannery. Aurora should happen. An beware, there are scripted timberwolfs as well.

I don't think it is required for the aurora...just wouldn't be able to get in not knowing the code.  I could be mistaken though.

On 9/16/2020 at 8:57 AM, Bromstarzan said:

So again, trying to get into the workshop. I start to wonder if I really have triggered the things I need?

I have the Communication report saying the Code 154 should be used down at the workshop. Is there anything else I need to go about?
All good all lost fellows on Bear Island!

Should be all you need.  There is another note near the door to the workshop (directing you to find the code note), but I don't think any notes are needed to get the aurora to happen.  I don't think it is a triggered event.

edit: aside from the conditions required to trigger an aurora :) i guess those are triggers technically haha

Edited by haft2doit

• 2 weeks later...

In my current pilgrim save game (I run it now because the "no aurora" problem was fixed a couple of updates ago), the aurora was pretty frequent. Then as I was done with almost everything except a final repair on what firearms and tools that I wanted at 100%, the aurora stopped happening. 

I kept track and while I would not have been able to do anything if resting when it occurred, I noted in my journal when the last aurora entry was and when it appeared again. That was about 15 days or so.  I hurried back to the Cannery and work shop for the next night and the aurora occurred (once it happened it seemed to occur more frequently for a time) which allowed me to get the last repairs done and get the heck out of Bleak Inlet. 

This reminded me, uncomfortably, of the time I went into the Cinder Hills mine aurora section and it was about 15 or 17 days later before it occurred again. I had been prepared for a long stay, if necessary, but the food I brought into the mine about ran out by the time I got out. 😅

• 5 weeks later...

So currently at night #18 and no aurora - can not get in. I think I slowly give up on this. I would love to continue on my 500+ survival which has a lot of diary documentation... but times change and The Long Dark may be put to sleep :) 

If I ran into a bug, I wish I knew how to find a workaround.

• 1 month later...