What's your favourite region in-game?

Glflegolas

Not sure if this has been asked yet (my apologies if it has) but which region in The Long Dark do you enjoy most, and why? I guess I'll start by listing my top picks:

Coastal Highway: Possibly the best region for long-term survival, I enjoy this region because there are a lot of buildings to search through, all the major sources of food are available (hunting, fishing, trapping), it's not too far to get to the forge at the Riken, and the Quonset Garage has an accessible workbench. Most often, my long-term survival base is on Jackrabbit Island. That's because it's very safe from wolves, and even if there are wolves on the ice, they're easy to spot from miles away, assuming visibility is OK. Besides, you're living on your own private island? How much cooler could it possibly get? Temperatures aren't too cold either, except in blizzards. Finally, I like looking across the sea or towards the mountains on the mainland, especially during the aurora.

Hushed River Valley: This might seem to be the polar opposite of Coastal Highway in terms of plentiful loot, but in truth, there's a decent amount of loot to be found in the caves and hidden caches. Additionally, the map has all kinds of narrow, hidden passageways going in many directions, which can provide shelter from inclement weather, along with beautiful vistas wherever you look. The ice caves... did I mention those? Great loot, and arguably one of the best places to turn into a base as they're fairly warm inside. ALSO, the ice rooms are well lit, allowing you to study books at any time of day or night. The views available on this map are excellent, and there are plenty of small caves wherever you need to find a place to duck inside when the weather goes south, although chances are you'll have to make a campfire to keep yourself from freezing. While there are predators, you can avoid them fairly easily if you know where to set up your safe-house. It's truly a perfect map for pretending you're doing Man vs. Wild, with its lack of man-made shelters. The only two complaints I have with this map: you can't fish (so getting lamp oil is near impossible), and there's no workbench. Forging is also very difficult, as you have to travel to the Broken Railroad/Forlorn Muskeg.

Timberwoif Mountain: Although this is the coldest region, it luckily doesn't have any timberwolves (weird right?), and its lack of man-made structures aside from the Mountaineer's Hut can also give this region a very Man vs. Wild ambience. Just like in the Hushed River Valley, there are beautiful vistas from all the mountaintops. If you remember to bring along a hacksaw, there's weeks worth of food and supplies in the cargo containers. Two major advantages of this map over the similar Hushed River Valley is that you can fish and craft at the workbench. My major complaint with this map is that it requires a lot of rope climbing to get anywhere, and you have to travel a very long way to find a forge.

These are my personal favourite regions. What are yours?

• Upvote 1

at the moment... TWM for the remoteness, the option to have one main base but lots of challenging excursions, the risk/reward of getting up to the wreck, and the fact you can stay up there for a long time without but, due to the rope access, have to be picky about what you do take up there/ take away from the plane cargo.

That said, I tend to have my main base for long runs at Mystery Lake- great food supply and storage, easy run to the dam for wood/ metal, not too far to forge or craft ammo, and most  importantly was the first place I felt 'safe' at set up camp during my first runs many moons ago.  It's home!

• Upvote 1

I'm really liking the new region, Bleak Inlet. I've chosen that secluded cabin near the rope to go up to the lookout as my home base. Lots of wolf meat and fir firewood around, I'm also close to fishing and a bear spawn who's easy to pin down easily as you can see him on the ice. I'm not sure if the milling machine and bullet crafting is worth to mention at this point, though, as I've never really used them. Also, I recently found where the deer and rabbits hang out, so that's even more food for me. That six-burner stove in the broken lighthouse is also a great help to cook all of these up, too.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I have three that i love equally:

Broken railroad - so many deer corpses, forge, nice-ish weather, no risk bear kill, moose spawn near a base. 

Timberwolf mountain - epic view, many bears, tail section. 

Ravine - epic view, literally a safe haven, bridge, jerry can-hammer spawn, allows access bleak inlet. 

If they would only make a region that is behind that broken bridge in broken railroad. 

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

I have three that i love equally:

Broken railroad - so many deer corpses, forge, nice-ish weather, no risk bear kill, moose spawn near a base. 

Timberwolf mountain - epic view, many bears, tail section. 

Ravine - epic view, literally a safe haven, bridge, jerry can-hammer spawn, allows access bleak inlet. 

If they would only make a region that is behind that broken bridge in broken railroad. 

I liked ravine until I fell off the bridge (I was playing on a different computer and so not using my usual control pad) when 250 odd days in, going for cartographer and 500 days achievements.  I like what there is of broken railroad but for some reason it's always felt slightly small, or unfinished... can't really put my finger on it but I always half expect another area of the map to open up there every time there's an update.

12 hours ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

I like what there is of broken railroad but for some reason it's always felt slightly small, or unfinished... can't really put my finger on it but I always half expect another area of the map to open up there every time there's an update.

Yeah i get the same feeling, they did update it in the past but it just opened up that area past the cave with that little bridge. Maybe if they would allow you to bypass the railroad via the river with a rope when you got to the other side that could be a start I guess

I do like the broken railroad, except for the fact that it's extremely difficult to avoid wolf attacks there. There's literally wolves EVERYWHERE you go.

13 hours ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

I liked ravine until I fell off the bridge (I was playing on a different computer and so not using my usual control pad) when 250 odd days in, going for cartographer and 500 days achievements.  I like what there is of broken railroad but for some reason it's always felt slightly small, or unfinished... can't really put my finger on it but I always half expect another area of the map to open up there every time there's an update.

Crossing that rickety trestle is probably my least favourite trip in the game. I have only done it twice, and it was no less unpleasant the second time than the first. Usually I go through Pleasant Valley if I want to go from Mystery Lake to Coastal Highway.