Nerf Revolver for Hunting

Willy Pete

I personally think that the Revolver is a bit OP and in some ways puts the bow and rifle out of commission (it's for this reason I choose not to use it unless I've got no other options) when it comes to hunting. I do think that there's an easy fix for it, though: bleeding chance.

The revolver should always one shot kill rabbits, kill with headshots to deer, and kill wolves with headshots or well-placed body shots, but there should be a bleeding chance instead of a guaranteed bleed for non-instant kill shots. This should start at 25% for level 1 revolver firearm, then scale up to 50% for level 2, 75% for 3 and finally 100% only when level 4 is reached.

Other than that, I don't think it should make the bear bleed ever. This isn't altogether unrealistic as bears have tougher hides and bones that might prevent the bullet from causing a mortal bleeding wound. I hate to bring real life into TLD, but it supports my argument in this case: at the very best, the round the revolver fires is a .357 Magnum which IRL is the lowest caliber recommended for black bear defense. At worse it's a .38 Spl, which has nowhere near the stopping power to take down a bear but would be somewhat effective for the smaller critters.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2020 at 7:48 AM, Willy Pete said:

I personally think that the Revolver is a bit OP and in some ways puts the bow and rifle out of commission (it's for this reason I choose not to use it unless I've got no other options) when it comes to hunting. I do think that there's an easy fix for it, though: bleeding chance.

The revolver should always one shot kill rabbits, kill with headshots to deer, and kill wolves with headshots or well-placed body shots, but there should be a bleeding chance instead of a guaranteed bleed for non-instant kill shots. This should start at 25% for level 1 revolver firearm, then scale up to 50% for level 2, 75% for 3 and finally 100% only when level 4 is reached.

Other than that, I don't think it should make the bear bleed ever. This isn't altogether unrealistic as bears have tougher hides and bones that might prevent the bullet from causing a mortal bleeding wound. I hate to bring real life into TLD, but it supports my argument in this case: at the very best, the round the revolver fires is a .357 Magnum which IRL is the lowest caliber recommended for black bear defense. At worse it's a .38 Spl, which has nowhere near the stopping power to take down a bear but would be somewhat effective for the smaller critters.

I have no problem with making the revolver a .357, but jokingly have only .38spl spawn. I haven't had the change to play the update with reloading, but as I read up on the real life activity of it, I can see an experienced reloader created a formidable .357 load. Maybe that can somehow be reflected in the game, once you are at max skill level for reloading you can create some pretty effective ammunition.

On 3/21/2020 at 6:10 PM, Fuarian said:

It says in it's description that the revolver has STOPPING POWER, not killing power. It should be used as a defense and not an offense. To hit oncoming targets but not kill them directly.

In the context of self defense with firearms "stopping power" is almost synonymous with "killing power". When it comes to predator charges "stopping" their charge is only achieved by "killing" them unfortunately.

• Upvote 1